iPad 4 or wait for rumored iPad 5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pman, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    So for Christmas I kind of have a debacle. I'm a freshman in college, and use my iPhone 4s, iPad 2, and MacBook pro late 2011 daily for school work, entertainment, and watching Netflix/Hulu. As for entertainment on my iPhone/iPad I play multiple multiplayer games, recreational games, and many memory intense games like mc3 and such. My iPad 2 seems to run fine, but the Internet keeps telling me what a big jump it is from the second exertion to the fourth generation. I've been saying up specifically for Christmas to buy myself something nice electronic wise, and I think the iPad 4 is right for me, but on the other hand, I don't want my precious money to go to a device tht could all but be outdated in 70 days from Christmas by the rumored iPad 5 with its new features and design. Is it worth withholding my money from the iPad 4 to wait for the 5? Or is it worth having the 4 for the time being and just being a bit behind when apple releases more iPads?

2. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    If you're happy with it, get it. If you feel it's lacking in something, wait

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The iPad 4th gen is the first iPad worth having since the iPad 2.

At the same time though, with the iPad 2, you have pretty much one of the best iPads to date. Unless you really want a retina screen, the jump from 2 to 4 isn't that big (the Internet is a lying hype machine) so you won't be missing out much if you wait until March to see if they unveil anything.

That said, I really don't see them releasing a new iPad before November, there is no reason for them to.

4. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Thank you for that reply. I do agree with you, I don't even care about a redesign, and honestly? I don't care that much about a retina display, but I think in the end I will get it. And you are spot on with that sense that they won't release another until November. I think it would be dumb to within 365 have 3 different iPads come out. And really I don't know what they could change in the ipad. So thanks for that advice, it will help with my decision. Also if they do come out with another, I'll just wait for the ipad mini 2 to have the new stuff(if ever).

5. I would wait for the ipad 5 if you have the ipad 2, but read the ipad 4 thread in the ipad forum for more info.

6. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    I would wait for new Ipad, 4th Gen is still not enough for smooth playing (60fps) in some games, due to not offering to play in lower resolution. But at least GOF2 support it.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you want an iPad, buy an iPad. Playing games on iPad 2 is great, playing games on iPad 3 is great. If you're paranoid about getting left out when a new device is released, you'll never buy one.

And this is false. Retina is the best thing to happen to tablets/smartphones/screens in general since the jump to LCD.

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I was implying that apart from the screen, everything else isn't as much of a jump.

Retina is amazing, yes, and the only reason I bought an iPhone (and later an iPad) in the first place.

9. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    You are spot on with the paranoid part. Thanks a bunch for your device. I'm going to get the ipad 4. Anyone have the ipad smart case?

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    You've got an iPad right now. Basically, at the end of the day you can still get pretty much any app available for it. So really, there's no real need to get a new one. It's not like you don't have one right away at your disposal, and you have too much excitement to wait.

Just wait it out and you'll be much more pleased.

11. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    That's true and all, but I don't want to keep chasing the next best thing. I think the ipad 4 will meet my needs a plenty.

12. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Should I upgrade to the iPad 4? I have an iPod 4 currently, but the iPad 5 may have big changes.

13. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Do you have an ipad?

14. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

That.

15. If you have no ipad now, you might as well buy an ipad 4 now.

Since I have a new ipad, I'm going to wait for the ipad 5 mostly due to disk size concerns since that's the biggest complaint on my new ipad.

But retina screen is really pretty. For web surfing and games, don't know if I could live without it.

16. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Yeah I don't have an iPad. Will try to get one then.

17. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I've owned a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen iPad. I'd enjoy it for a month, then lose interest and sell it. but i've always kept and used an iPod Touch. I like having a truly portable device that is with me everywhere I go, and is comfortable to hold.

If I were looking to buy an iPad, you can find some great deals on 3rd gen ones.