Universal Granny Smith (by Mediocre AB) - Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've never really understood the grievances when a game doesn't have achievements.

I mean, if a game is gret and fun, then that should be all that matters really...
    Lots of games were good before achievements were used in games, and lots of games are still great and fun, including this one.

Adding achievements in a game should be considered a bonus and a good thing, but not having them, when the game is fine without them shouldn't count against it.

A game like Tiny Wings rely heavily on achievements for the gameplay, and it would not be the same game without it, but this game and hundreds of others doesn't really need them.

Just my two cents.

2. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    This game is simply brilliant!

The physics are outstanding, and the difficulty is building at a nice comfortable speed.

Nice touches like the black and white movie replays of your levels is icing on the cake, they even have different camera angles and slow-motion sequences when crashing through windows and other spectacular moves. :D

The later levels can be very hard to get through, especially if you use the last character, Stanley, as he doesn't seem to get as much momentum as the other characters. I gave up on using him after a couple of levels.
    One place in particular I could not get him to swing around with his umbrella to get an apple, and after countless attempts I switched to Granny, and got in the first try. Maybe his umbrella isn't as long as Granny's cane, not allowing him the same momentum in the swings?

No matter, this game is fun and very challenging on the later levels.
    I hope there's more levels to come, as I'm close to finishing the game now, with three apples on all levels so far.

Even if no more levels are forthcoming, I've certainly have had my money's worth of fun from this little gem.

Highly recommended.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here, i'm not bothered by achievements one bit, just enjoy the game

Anyway i didnt think i would like this as it seems 'another' endless runner. BUT i was so wrong, this games brilliant, love the animations, just a classic iOS game where you can have a quick 5 minutes with it and come back to it later for another go. Very good game, glad i bought it. Maybe there is still a bit of life left in endless runners!

4. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Having a lot of fun with this one.Well worth a dollar.

5. thecoffeemug

thecoffeemug New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Great game. Blew through the content and now hoping for more. Mechanics are such that perfecting runs is a lot of fun. After a while I realized I was in the top 5 on the leader boards. Decided to keep playing and now have a sizable lead at #1... Lots of depth in the mechanics that people aren't pursuing!

I really hope more get it, I would love to see more levels.

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, Mr. mug. This game is pretty much perfect in every way. Controls, challenge level, presentation, value; everything is spot on. As good as Bastion is, I think Granny is my GOTW.

7. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    very funny game, great style and music & replays are fun to watch

fore sure my new favorite granny-racer ;)

8. Graftopo

Graftopo Member

Aug 31, 2012
    What did they gave to the granny? :) It looks like she having a turbo boost!!

It looks like a realy funny game!

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn what a great little game! Can't believe I was gonna pass on it!

10. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I finished all the levels with 3 apples. I really hope more levels do come.

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    All levels done and three apples congrats!
    I'm having lots of fun and laughing but it's not so easy for me:)

12. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I finished the game last night, and got all the apples.

The last levels were a nightmare to complete. :D
    What a great game. I really look forward to the promised extra world.

13. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Omg! I over looked this on Thursday as just another runner. Jeez am I glad I ignored myself and picked this up today.
    I'll start by saying it nails everything just right, the controls and physics are great and the graphics look like there straight out of a children's book, they look really nice in action.
    I just finished the first world and thought it was a bit to easy but I'm glad that when i started the second world it looks a bit trickier.
    Over all while this is technically another runner style game it does everything so nicely and so well that it's easy to reccomend, and for 69p you'd be crazy not to buy it.

15. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark

16. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I was struggling a bit for quite a while and then controlling granny just clicked and things actually got fairly easy. I was able to go back to earlier levels and quickly get my missing apples.

Some of the levels designs were so clever and well done. This game deserves success. I very rarely finish these types of games, so this one is quite special to me.

17. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011

18. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Great to hear that some games can be totally enjoyed from beginning to end!!!
    Hope my skills get better...I keep panicking when I have to make sure granny is going to land upright!
    I tend to make her crash too much:)!!!!

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Decided to pick this up and love it, but am I the only one who thinks the controls could be a little more responsive. In game like this, it's imperative to have spot on controls. Could just be me since no one else seems to be mentioning it.

Really like the theme and ideas in the game to set it apart from other runners though. Would love to see an endless mode.

20. ohyesuare

ohyesuare Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Awesome looking game and so fun. Graphics remind me of that pirate game that came out a while ago.