PREVIEW: YoFrog - Private Group Chat - Want your feedback

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by frogarmy, May 30, 2009.

1. frogarmy

frogarmy New Member

May 30, 2009
    Phoenix
  2. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Does everyone that wants to be in that particular chatroom have to get your app? And all of them open it at the same time? Just want to know how it works.

3. frogarmy

frogarmy New Member

May 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Yeah, everyone has to have the app. We had an iPhone-optimized web version for free that we'll probably bring back but, for now, everyone needs YoFrog.

All of your friends don't have to be in the room at the same time. Someone creates a room, invites their friends and then they can post whenever they like. If you're not using it, when you open it next, you'll see a number notification showing you unread messages in that room. Then you can scroll through the unread/previous messages.

4. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Thanks for your answer. Well, from your description I am kinda thinking its a permanent chatroom type app where you can come back and check on any new messages your friends left, whenever you have connectivity. I would say that it is quite interesting, but seems to have a very limited use since many people have much more accessibility to their provider's signal compared to a 3G connection. You also have to remember, a lot of users (like me) are using the 1st Gen iPhone and have no 3G at all and edge will be a lot slower. It is also much cheaper to use sms instead of constantly connecting to mobile internet in many instances.

The current iPhone APIs also do not allow any notifications on the springboard like the Mail app, which really limits the use of these type of IM apps since it is quite pointless to go back checking not knowing if there is a new message or not. So this app could probably have more uses when 3.0 comes out.

5. frogarmy

frogarmy New Member

May 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Thanks for your feedback. We've optimized the app to work on both 3G and Edge networks; the actual amount of data pushed to your phone is pretty small, much much smaller than most websites. I've been testing on a 1st Gen iPhone and it's pretty snappy.

You're right about push notifications. We're working on that now so we can have SMS-like push notifications as soon after the launch of iPhone OS 3.0 as we can. This 1.0 version is being offered to get it out there in people's hands to start using and getting used to group communication instead of one-to-one like SMS, for those who want it now. But we can't wait till 3.0!

Thanks again for your comments.