Music Source?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lithiastudios, Feb 2, 2009.

1. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I'm looking for some music for a game (preferably "World Music" at this point.. think something like Little Big Planet perhaps)

I've found a variety of royalty free music sites out there, but unfortunately the per-track fee is a bit much for my budget. ($30+ per track.. and I'm just starting out at this..)

I was thinking of MIDI as a lower cost option, since potentially the production values aren't quite as high.. but when you find MIDIs on sites, it's hard to tell who the copyright owner is sometimes.

I do have Garage Band, but I'm not sure of my musicianship. :)

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I'm looking for something like the above; and some sort of sound fx's. Where can I get sound fx's? Thanks

3. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I would say just play around in GarageBand and see what you come up with. It's a very easy to use program, and while it's not that technical and somewhat limiting, you could definitely make some decent stuff for your game for free. I used GarageBand for a while and then moved on to some other programs, but it was a great start

4. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #4 spacecowgoesmoo, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
    Garageband is a pretty good program; It's very easy to put some loops together and make something decent, as long as using possibly recognizable loops doesn't bother you.

Another thing I've been thinking; if you grab a good evolving pad synthesizer (Crystal, Kore Free Soundpack Vol. 1(Absynth)) and just record whatever off a MIDI keyboard (with about a 30-minutes-of-Wikipedia level of music theory knowledge) you could probably get some good results also.

For SFX, I think there's a bunch of free libraries out there you can look at. Again, you run the risk of someone going 'OMG I know where he got that explosion!'. If you want to make SFX yourself it's definitely possible on zero budget, but you'll have to learn a bunch of music and MIDI programs. Here's what I'm using for the Gomi SFX:

SFX (All free programs):
    Record Audio (iPhone, younote), optional step depending on what you're going for

Put Audio into Sampler where you can mess with it (Crystal) in Sequencer (MULab)
    Or use basic waveforms (Sine, Square, Triangle wave, etc.)

& Go!

Sorry for being vague but I gotta class in 5 minutes. Google and Wikipedia will help :p

5. lithiastudios

Jan 9, 2009
    For Sound FX, there's a really cool free Windows app that lets you generate sound effects called SFXR.

http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/hp/project_sfxr.html

It can tend to sound a little "old school" but messing around with it can yield some nice results.

6. lithiastudios

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks, I'll definitely mess around with Garage Band. I notice that they have a World Music loop pack as well. :)

7. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    thanks!! im downloading it now.