Hardcore gamers on iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, May 30, 2012.

1. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Just a show of hands, how many of you consider yourself hardcore gamers? If so, do you play these games on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Would you if more hardcore games were available? Do you see your idevice with Apple TV replacing your Xbox, PS3 or Wii?

2. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I think 'hard core ios gamer' is considered an oxymoron to most people... I play mostly on my ipad than on my ipod because of the bigger screen size. Playing with the apple tv is extremely laggy and if you are looking at your tv you can't see where your hands are.

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What he said.

But the thing is my iPad is played a lot more while my ps3 is just gathering dust.
    The quality and depth of the games is definitely better on the ps3. No doubt about it.
    The main problem, I think, is the major price differential between ps3 and iOS.
    I do believe if developers could charge more, didn't need to develop freemium and run a load of sales, we would see more proper AAA quality games on iOS.
    The money to be made on it is not high enough to justify long and expensive development.
    And, yes, Angry Birds makes an awfull lot of money, but that is the exception and extremely rare.
    Infinity Blade series makes a good bit of money too but not Halo/Call of Duty/Dead Space (console)/Mass Effect (console)/Portal money.

4. Is 700 games on my new ipad consider me a hardcore gamer? I sure hope so, either that, or I will have to check into the nearest mental hospital soon.

But since a lot of my games are puzzle games like cut the rope hd, angry birds hd, or agent orange hd; maybe I should classify myself as a "sissy" hardcore gamer. Haha. I did buy Deadspace hd this week on sale, so maybe I'm not such a sissy after all!

5. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I’m so hardcore I won’t touch a console: give me a mouse and keyboard. I am a first-person-shooter junkie.

But iOS has me singing a different tune! I game more on iOS than I play FPS games on my Mac, and I never would have thought I’d say that.

So, not every individual game I play is hardcore, but I am :) I wish I had more time for gaming so I could build up the skills to match my interest level... I have too MANY games now, because they’re cheap. When games cost me more, I’d focus more and get good at just a few.

As for iOS FPS games... the potential is there, but I haven’t seen it done fully to the level I want. Certainly to the level of being great fun though.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I used to be a pretty hardcore iOS gamer, then I took an arrow to the knee. *ba dum pish*

Seriously though, I used to be a hardcore iOS gamer, but since hardly any games run on a 2nd gem anymore, and I hardly have any space for the ones that do. I might buy a friend's 3rd gen though!

7. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't buy that, no waste money,even 4 is not very enough now. 4 gen is a least.

8. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    The way you talk is sissy.
    You're sissy even you bought dead space, no matter what you play, you can't hide your nature.

9. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Nothing wrong with his game choices whatsoever and nothing wrong with "sissy" either :)

10. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    yes, I'm a hardcore gamer. I've been playing videogames since the late 70's. I've owned a console from every generation. I currently own a PS3, a Wii, a desktop and laptop PC, a Gamecube, an ipad2 and an Iphone4 not to mention a GBA and a couple DSs floating about the house that almost literally never get turned on. I raced online in a Grand Prix Legends league from about 2000 to 2004. I owned a force feedback wheel and pedal set in 2003 (the classic red MOMO which I still have and still works like a charm.) I spent hours trying to create a DOS boot diskette that would get me the needed 628k of ram to run Falcon3. I bought tons of payware planes and scenery for MS Flightsim 2004. I was in the Alpha and Beta test for Iracing. I even got my name in the credits of Simbin's GTR game...look right at the end of the thnk-yous and you'll see "zevious zoquis"... :D

I say all that becuase I think the whole hardcore/casual thing is a load of crap. Good games are good games. I've had just as much fun playing Fruit Ninja on my iphone over the past couple years as I have GT5 on the PS3. Theres a huge number of really great and inventive ios games available and the suggestion that they appeal only to a casual crowd that isn't really "into" gaming is ludicrous.

11. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    Omg, you're a legend with a full & colorful life.
    Your words may inspire a lot of people, and what you said is meaningful.

12. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Oh yeah, i'm a legend in my own mind. :)

Seriously though, anyone who really loves videogames shouldn't have any problem with ios gaming - "hardcore" or not...

13. #13 Connector, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
    Yea zevious, I agree, don't understand why people seem to have an impression that hardcore gamers are only gamers if they play first person shooters like Halo or Nova 3. Seems like their hardcore gamers rep is that they are rebel teenage boys that love to kill and shoot players in multiplayer mode and cuss and disrepect other players.

Well, klarence, you seem to insinuate that since I like other kinds of games too like puzzle, driving, or sports games then it is being a sissy and not a hardcore gamer.

You know the audience for gamers that play alot is changing with people having iphones and ipads. The audience is changing to from just teenage and young men, and now there are many older players as well as small children who play.

So, I guess you will not put me into the hardcore gamer category, but you know what, I don't care cause when I used to have my xbox and went online to play games like halo and such, I was surprised to hear such vulgar language and rude behavior. So call me the sissy hardcore gamer. In fact, just call me an avid gamer. Peace.

14. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes, you are a hardcore gamer as you surely are.
    I just mentioned that you're still a sissy man I guess so, yes, a sissy hardcore gamer as you described yourself.
    Or avid gamer is better. I dunno. In fact it make non sense. I'd agree with you casual and hardcore is nothing conflict.
    One can be both sissy and hardcore, so that's it.

15. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Well, i've been gaming in iOS since iOS 3.0, i've tried casual and hardcore games (plus, i rather hardcores)

I am a Xbox 360 and NDS lite owner, and i really love the way iOS it's going through the gaming. It's not a handheld console, it's not the replacement of none of them, it's a new way of gaming, a new genre of devices with great games.

I've spend many, many, many hours playing in my iPod's (i've got iPod touch 2g, 4g and iPhone 4, and i want to get an iPad, but maybe the next generation) and MANY hours playing in my Xbox. The NDS doesn't work anymore, it has the touch-screen broken, but the time i had with it, was great too.

16. Tim Slim

Tim Slim Member

Feb 5, 2012
    iOS is my new Nintendo...and I doubt I'll ever buy a new console again

17. BlackJacketGames

BlackJacketGames Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Indie developer
    Portlandia
    This is an interesting discussion. As a dev, I'd like to develop games that lean to more of a hardcore audience on iOS - ie. cyberpunk theme, steampunk, graphics that aren't "cute". Like our first title, Metal Drift. However, my biz partner is afraid of losing the larger audience. I think the answer may be whether you can target a hardcore niche and keep the price higher to make up lost sales from more casual gamers. Right now the answer appears to be "no" unfortunately.

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I'd say you're right. A lot of people complain about wanting longer, more in depth games. It seems like most people whine if a game isn't $.99 though. Until people change they way they buy games developers won't be making the jump from "casual" to "hardcore" games. The next time squaresoft releases a $20 game try not to complain and wait for a sale. Or any other developer large or small. Do that and we'll see a lot more in depth iOS games.

19. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yeah, Falcon 3 was a real pain in the *** to get running...that and Ultima 7 seemed to require the most EMS/XMS memory (remember those terms?). Sounds like me. My parents got Pong as a wedding gift; that was always at my grandparents' house. Pre Nintendo, I had already gone through an Atari 2600 (4 player paddle control games rocked), Colecovision (playing Wizards of Wor death matches against my mom...the OG corridor shooter!), Atari 5200, and what I used much more than a Nintendo, a Commodore 64.

I finally threw away my Atari Lynx and it's games after realizing it was hopelessly broken...parted with my gamegear as well, which sucked because I had a Sega Master System adaptor for it.

I'm still more hardcore than you:p though. Just ask my :cough: Virtual Boy of :ahem: my Sega Nomad. Man, I used to love it when systems died. got those two for $30 at Toys R Us. The Sega Dreamcast for $50 at Best Buy was probably the best deal, though. Actually, I can't get myself into games that much anymore...I think I might be holding on to gaming as a hobby more out of a sense of self than out of any real enjoyment anymore.

And yes...I'm blaming the kids for ruining everything!;)

20. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    If you want a hardcore niche that will pay good money despite being a minority, target grognards. Hardcore war gamers will seemingly always be around, usually with wallets open. Though it would help for you to learn the various slope angles and thickness values of the armor on mid-thirties Checkloslovak reconnaissance vehicles ;)