Developer Story: Featured then Vanished from App Store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Grumps, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    We’re surprised to find out that our newly released app The Stupid Test 5, that was even featured by Apple in New & Noteworthy vanished from our iTunes Connect account (App Store publisher’s management area). We’re clueless on what is going on and have already contacted App Review team for support but yet to hear anything about it.

What really hurt us is after the extensive marketing campaign that we have operated, the app finally made it into the Top 100 of Entertainment paid app just yesterday. All the effort and money spent is going to a waste even if we get reinstated (we hope to get reinstated).

This is probably something similar to those developers story that we often heard, having their app approved initially only to be pulled out of App Store. But this makes it weird as to our knowledge, even a single app is banned from the App Store for some certain violation should always remain in the “Manage Application” area with a different app status flag.. We can’t really confirm this until we get some sort of notice or reply from Apple. We certainly hope it’s just a system glitch.

Anyone with experience getting their app pulled mind sharing if this is how they pull your app? Or should it remain in Manage Application area regardless of what happen.

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Was it too close for comfort for The Moron Test and the plethora of other like-apps?

3. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    I certainly doubt so. The Stupid Test 5 and The Idiot Test 3 that we've both published are both licensed port from the web and even Moron Test was initially built upon a 100% clone of The Idiot Test before they redesigned all the level fix.

4. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

There's some discussion of this on the Apple developer boards; looks like a glitch.

5. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    I got to be pretty lucky to be part of it! App buried, loss of sales, waste of marketing cost. :(

You got a link to that discussion?

6. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Pretty damn big glitch! Wow! And of course Apple can't be held liable for any lost sales or rank etc I'm guessing. I'm staying out of iTunes Connect for now...geez.

Thanks for the heads up though.

7. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    @Uptown Arts Thanks for the link to the thread.

Yep, I'm definitely not looking to get compensated in any way. Really just want to know what happened. The only new thing that got into my life lately is having iTunes Connect app installed one day before that happened :rolleyes:

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I feel your pain. You'll be lucky to get a satisfying answer.
    The last time Apple goofed up like this in a way that affected one of my apps, all I got was a generic "the problem should now be fixed" email a few days after they'd quietly fixed the problem.

9. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    I'm starting to wonder if I should resubmit the app as fresh considering that by least I will be featured again rather than being buried should they recover the app. :confused:

10. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    After some discussion with some other developers that face the same fate in the apple's developer forum, some have tried to resubmit the app but even so, the app name will remain reserved. And the app did briefly resurface in our account yesterday but it was moment before it vanishes again.

This is a serious condition on the app store and apparently most that got affected encounter it when attempting to update their application descriptions or some other settings.

11. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I'm shocked this hasn't been resolved by Apple, yet.

BTW, did you use itunes connect online or the downloadable OSX app? I've got some apps & updates ready to submit, but you're sad tale has me nervous to pull the trigger.

12. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    The update i mentioned has nothing application submission but only when you attempt to edit the app descriptions/details after submission. I can't really confirm this but that is what most developers that is currently involved think happen.

I wouldn't suggest anything about your submission.