Baseball Superstars 2013 (Gamevil)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hambo12, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    English Trailer now on YouTube

The English trailer was uploaded to Gamevil's YouTube channel! Release date must be soon but there is no info on when, and whether it will be an iPhone or Android release. Given that the Korean version of BS '13 is already on Google Play, and given that the trailer shows the game being played on the Galaxy S 3, I'm going to take an educated guess that the Android version will come first then iOS.

Now, we wait :)

Here's the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcFAgKI-bSU&list=UU2Nn9kZr7KJHGqdt28-QZRw&index=1

2. blastedw0lf4

blastedw0lf4 Active Member

Jul 27, 2010
    sighhhhhhh....

-_-

sooner rater than later i hope!

3. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I feel ya. Baseball Superstars 2013 is literally the only game I'm looking forward to this year. Arcade video game baseball is my absolute favorite genre and Baseball Superstars is the only mobile series that scratches that itch. The RPG elements and customization are icing on the cake.

I just wish there was some sort of release date! The wait is excruciating!

4. blastedw0lf4

Jul 27, 2010
    it is man...and if you go to GAMEVIL Korea's youtube page and check out the gameplay.....you might have to change your underwear lol! it looks the pwn bro...

5. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I saw the Korean gameplay video when it was first posted on Gamevil's YouTube channel. The first thing I noticed was that the camera was at a lower angle for batted balls/defense and that the field looked much larger (in proportion to the players on the field). This is good because the batted balls, defensive plays, and throws should be more varied from BS 12, which I thought was diminished by a broken and overly frenetic defense. The larger field should also tilt the balance of gameplay a bit toward the defense by allowing more time for human players to make decisions and throws.

The next thing I noticed was the customization; specifically, there appear to be more than 3 batting stances, and upgradeable stadiums may have made a comeback from BS II. I love stuff like batting stances and want to be able make a squad with 9 unique-looking batters. Also, customizable stadiums - which I missed from BS II - are a goofy and fun way to make your team look unique.

Some smaller details I noticed were more frames of animation for the pitcher and batter, Super Players (which I hated because they were too over-powered in both BS II and BS 12) appear to have been relegated to power-up cards rather than active participants, and the season mode looks different (hopefully they brought the team season back from BS II).

I expect this to be the best Baseball Superstars ever :)

6. blastedw0lf4

Jul 27, 2010
    I hear that man, def into the customization aspect as well... uniforms logos the whole nine....

hopefully late dec... early jan release lets keep our fingers crossed

:cool:

7. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Gameplay Impressions

I've got BS 2013 on my Galaxy Nexus and I've been playing it for the past day or so. I haven't jumped in too deep with the RPG elements so I can't comment on the story, but I've played enough of the game to form some impressions:

PROS

Graphics - Best in the series, hands down. The stadiums are more detailed. The animations are more fluid (the new homerun swing animation is my favorite). The character sprites are more crisply rendered. The pixelated look from BS 2012 has been cleaned up and the characters during gameplay look crystal clear on my GNex. Should look even better on an iPhone 4S or 5 :) Gamevil's artists truly outdid themselves. The cutscenes are even animated, which is a nice touch. I love BS 2013's graphics.

Gameplay - Tilt batting is back (but it's no longer the default setting) and it's more responsive due, in my opinion, to the game's increased framerate. I feel like my timing really impacts the direction of my hits, and I can hit the ball on the ground or in the air just about on command. It seems like BS 2013 has a greater variety of batted balls than BS 2012, which really enhances the sensation of control provided by tilt batting. Gamevil also made the playing field larger in relation to the players, and it just opens the hitting game up. The larger field also gives you more time to react on defense. Finally, pitching is more natural and skill-based, as AI batters now chase pitches out of the zone. In terms of actual baseball, this is the best playing Baseball Superstars.

Customization - Lots of equipment and items to equip! You should be able to find the perfect look for your players/team. As with BS 2012, Player Names, Team Logos and Uniform Colors can be edited. There are also 3 batting stances for the different types of batters, which adds a bit more individuality to each batter.

CONS

No Team Season Mode - My favorite part of BS II was the Team Season mode. I liked playing the regular season and playoffs against the computer with my squad of Hall of Famers. Gamevil got rid of Team Season mode in BS 2012 and it looks like it's gone for good. There is no Team Season mode in BS 2013, which is disappointing to me.

No Exhibition Mode - There is no exhibition mode in BS 2013. At all. If you wanna just pick-up-and-play a quick game of baseball against the computer with the default teams, then stick with BS 2012 or BS II. Sometimes I want to control every at-bat and every pitch and I can't do that at all in BS 2013. Even in PvP mode, you only control your created players. The lack of the ability to play a full game with (at least) the default teams is an unforgivable omission. Gamevil blew this one big time.

No Homerun Derby - Homerun Derby is not available from the start. Rather, it must be unlocked by playing the My Batter Mode. Alright. Fine. What happened when I finally unlocked Homerun Derby? I got a pop up message that says "Coming Soon". This is one reason why I think BS 2013 feels incomplete and it pales in comparison to the robust single and multiplayer modes found in BS II. Even BS 2012, which omitted some of the gameplay modes found in BS II, is a more "complete" product. In terms of gameplay options, BS II is still the champ.

Defense - I know, I know. Most people hate playing defense. But defense is my favorite part of baseball because that's where the strategy of the game reveals itself. In BS II, defense was a weapon (especially if you seduced Ahra for her super fielding perk). Super fielding saved me multiple runs per game. In BS 2012, super fielding was glitchy and defensive stats seemed to have no relation to a player's proficiency in the field. But at least you could still position your fielders. I didn't like defense in BS 2012 but unfortunately, it was still much better than BS 2013. First, Gamevil has done away with the Fielding attribute and you can no longer decide who plays where on defense. Defense is simply nine generic AI-controlled fielders, whereas in BS II and BS 2012 you could put your best fielders in critical positions like shortstop. Now, there is no difference in defensive skill from one team to the next. Your created players and teammates are simply labeled "Infield" and "Outfield." It's all about pitching and hitting in BS 2013; defense is an afterthought. That said, the larger field does give you more time to decide which base to throw to, and the fielding is more deliberate and less "hyper" than BS II and BS 2012.

INCOMPLETE

Team Management - My Batter and My Pitcher have been integrated into My Team. Think of it like a "Franchise mode" minus the depth. Every created player you make becomes an AI teammate after retirement. So the more players you create, the better your AI teammates will be. I'm not sure if I like this change but, in fairness, I need to play out a career to see if the My Batter/My Pitcher modes are better than before. Unlike BS II and BS 2012, roster management is non-existent. Wanna change your batting order? No dice. Wanna position your fielders on defense? Nope, can't do that either. So far Team Management is a mixed bag. BS II remains the series' gold standard for Team Management, followed by BS 2012.

Economy - I still have to see how IAP impacts gameplay. IAP is definitely in full effect, but I haven't played enough to tell how much it affects gameplay. I'll report back after I've explored the game a bit more.

CONCLUSION - Overall, BS 2013 is a mixed bag. In some ways it's better than previous installments and in some ways it's worse. The graphics are fantastic. The core gameplay mechanics (pitching, hitting, baserunning, fielding) are polished to a shine. I love the larger field and its positive impact on both offense and defense. But compared to BS II, this game just feels a bit stripped-down. It really feels like Gamevil rushed the development of this year's game, forcing the devs to omit features to meet Gamevil's release dates. Again, the gameplay is rock solid, the animation is fluid, and there are no annoying glitches or bugs, but in terms of features and gameplay modes, BS 2013 offers a whole lot less than BS II. Hopefully Gamevil adds an Exhibition Mode and more roster management options in a future update.

8. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    This was the best part about the earlier games in the series (for me). Shame.

9. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Me too. But you know what? After playing this game almost nonstop for the last few days I can honestly say that the pitching and hitting are the best in the series. Make sure to toggle the tilt control option in the settings; then resist the urge to purchase the Golden Eye. I struggled at first but the hitting just clicked with me today. I have so much control over where I can hit the ball it's insane. Makes me feel like I'm at a batting cage :)

Even though I'm still stung by: the lack of roster management options; no option to play entire games (neither exhibition nor season); and no Homerun Derby, the hitting and pitching are so well done that I think most people will end up enjoying BS 2013 despite its comparative lack of depth.

10. blastedw0lf4

Jul 27, 2010
    Customization - Lots of equipment and items to equip! You should be able to find the perfect look for your players/team. As with BS 2012, Player Names, Team Logos and Uniform Colors can be edited. There are also 3 batting stances for the different types of batters, which adds a bit more individuality to each batter.

just curious what are the names on the stances....... sounds epic though br0 I cant freaking wait!!

11. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    Well, inever tried a BBS game...
    So, I'll try it with zen5 next year.

12. blastedw0lf4

Jul 27, 2010
    any more news on this??? ugh feels like its taking forever for this to come out for ios already :(