Universal Within - A competitive fighting game / trading card game hybrid

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by vernocchi, May 18, 2014.

1. vernocchi

vernocchi Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Co Founder & Creative Director at DESTINYbit
    Ravenna, Italy
    [​IMG]

Hi guys, I'm the creative director & co-founder at DESTINYbit and I'm really excited to hear your guys opinion on our game: Within.

[​IMG]

Within is a 1 on 1 competitive fighting game for mobile devices which blends deep fighting game mechanics with trading card games.

You will be able to collect cards and use them to customize your character and your attacks.
    It’s not just a matter of which character will you pick, what your match ups are and what is your play style.

The same character with two different deck of cards can play radically different.

We support online and offline multiplayer as well as single player modes. We support both iPhone and iPad as well as 3rd party controllers.

Within’s fighting engine was custom built on top of the solid foundations provided by the Unreal Engine.
    It features everything you would expect from a traditional fighting game: high/low attacks, overheads, cross-ups, cancels, chains, links and more.

We also came up with a very innovative control system for the iPad which doesn't rely on a virtual joystick:

Trading Cards
    In Within we use trading cards to customize characters and attacks with a system that we call "The emotion system".
    There are five type of emotions in Within. Each character in Within has one or more emotions attached to them.

The emotions are:
    • - Sorrow
    • - Anger
    • - Fear
    • - Pride
    • - Hope

A character can use cards that require the same kind of emotion he generates or neutral cards (gray). During a match, a character can generate Emotion Points by hitting the opponent.

Each character has a maximum amount of Emotion Points that it can have at the same time during a match.

There are three types of cards in Within:
    • - Character Boosters
    • - Attack Boosters
    • - Instant Attack Boosters

Character Boosters are cards that alter the properties of your character for the whole duration of a match. They are always active and their cost is subtracted from the maximum amount of Emotion Points that your character can have at the same time during a match.

[​IMG]

Attack Boosters and Instant Attack Boosters are cards that alter the properties of an attack. Attack Boosters and Instant Attack Boosters can be assigned to any attack a character has.

[​IMG]

Attack Boosters are automatically activated as soon as the corresponding attack starts and their cost is subtracted from the maximum amount of Emotion Points that your character can have at the same time during a match.

[​IMG]

Instant Attack Boosters are activated at will by the player while the corresponding attack is active. They subtract their cost from the current amount of Emotion Points that the character has.

[​IMG]

You can find more infos about the card system on our website or Kickstarter page or just.. ask away!

We're currently on Kickstarter and we hope we'll make it in order to be able to finish the game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/destinybit/within-a-competitive-fighting-game-tcg-hybrid

It's a very unique twist on fighting games, we'd love as much feedback as possible.

2. vernocchi

vernocchi Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Ravenna, Italy
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Is this going to support iCade?

4. vernocchi

vernocchi Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Ravenna, Italy
    We'll try to support as many third party controllers as we can although I personally don't consider the iCade to be a good arcade stick.. but that's just me.

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It's the only one I have, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so that would be really appreciated. That is really the only way I will be able to get into this game, as the touch controls, while innovative, don't really do it for me.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, just backed this game. I hope it reaches its goal. Although they don't give a crap about mobile FGs, the dev should try sending this to Eventhubs and SRK.

7. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    I hope there's an option for virtuà controls that you can customize like in sf4 volt or kof-i, these innovative controls....they look cool but you need a third hand in order to still hold your device while playing.

8. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011