Which Game Will Be The 1st $19.99 Premium Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by THE STUD, Jul 15, 2009.

1. With the prospect of the larger companies being allowed to put premium games out at $19.99 which company/game do you reckon will become the first to do this and do you think it will be worth it?

2. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    At the moment I don't believe in $19.99 premium games anymore. Look at what you can get for $0.99, I don't think you can improve x20 on that. Look at what you can get for $9.99. You'd need to make the most of the 3GS and spend a good year in development to make an app twice as good. So if these games will be coming, it'll be another year. There aren't enough 3GS around yet, and such games wouldn't play or play well enough on the older hardware.

3. songkranw

songkranw Well-Known Member

It can be!

You can do that by contact all 100 game company then make a game pack like DS Effect!

100 in 1 for just 19.99 it a steal.
    (Expect the file size to be over 1 GB to.)

4. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    There are many $19.99 games but most give you the x godfather, mobster, playmesh, racing etc. points.

When you see how good Rolando 2, Sims 3 etc. are as well as other games at cheaper prices there is nothing that would sell well at $20.

5. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    I doubt it since there's not much people see the iDevice as a serious gaming platform, even me myself is unaware of its "gaming capabilities" until I owned it for a good few days.

I'm willing to pay up to 20 bucks if the game prove itself worthy in term of its story, length and gameplay. Considering of the price, anything fall short of perfection at initial release is unacceptable.

6. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I would welcome a 20 dollar game if it guaranteed the quality of games we see on the PSP and DS with no up-date system. Just straight out of the box fun. I know this whole equal opportunities thing in the app store is fun to experiment with, but I'm getting tired of buying games and being sorely disappointed. Some however get it right first time so its not all bad...

7. dhustead

dhustead Active Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have no problem paying whatever the price is, as long as the game is worth the price. I feel guilty paying .99 for some of these apps. They get more play than any of my consoles and 60$ games.

8. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Top draw games at 20 dollars. No up-dates, and limited sale allowance, with their own section in the app store. This would separate them from the indie/small devs and give them a chance to flourish too. The customer would have a choice whether he wants to buy into a guaranteed PSP/DS quality game on day 1, or whether he wants to pay less, support a smaller dev, and risk more problems.

Everyone happy:)

9. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Don't you think this will happen "thru the back door"? i.e. purchase a game, and after all the additional level pack purchases and say "weapon" purchases etc thru the in app purchases, an app like "KillTest" (whatever) will endup eating $20+ dollars... just us watch and see....

10. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Are you suggesting that buying 20 $0.99 games isn't "premium" enough with all the sales going on?

11. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    That's why I think in-app purchases are a daft system. Who would take the 20 dollar games seriously?
    I would gladly sacrifice 75% of the daily slew of apps farting, crapping and vomiting their way into the store, just so that Apple would spend more time really testing the games that are worth while properly, so we don't have to continuously deal with games that are basically half made. That's the only reason I would want a 20 dollar section, but I guess the in-app purchases will put a stopper on that ever coming to fruition.

12. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    The first one will be if Square Enix ever ports over on of their heavy hitters of FF or DQ ;)

13. Militia

Militia Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #13 Militia, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Lmao

WOW it seems like no one even anwsered the question. I wish Chinatown wars would come to the iphone. That should be a 20 dollar game in all honesty. if its a exact port of the DS version in its entirety with updated Graphics i would pay 30 dollars. Why should i expect to pay less just becuz its on a different platform even though its completely the same. You cant use the excuse its a cell phone. regardless the content amount justifies 35 dollars on DS and soon 35-40$ on psp in fall i would not expect to pay less for the same content. if its less thats a plus. Thats me i'm a hardcore gamer especially iphone gamer who really wants the device to suceed in the handheld war. Its sad iphone gamers are so damn CHEAP.

14. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    #14 Masmo, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Chinatown wars is on the DS, unless you mean you want it to come on the iPhone. It MIGHT be possible, considering 'Payback' and 'CJS', anyway, it's coming to the PSP with added features, and that's good enough for me.

15. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I would never pay more than 9.99 for an app, ever.

16. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Who? EA

What? Major sports title.

Tiger Woods? Limited appeal, testing the water.

Hook the new game into the Superbowl (or whatever it is starting with the playoffs), add free notifications of events and scores, generate a code based on your UDID to get something back from them, throw in a music download or two, theme limited wallpapers. It is not then a 'game' it becomes 'bundle of stuff' and $20 for such a bundle? Should be easy to sell surely.

17. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    I answered the second half of his question:)

18. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    "Serious" and "Gaming" is a contridiction in terms. iPhones and iPod Touches are selling like crazy, and for people who don't want the phone, they still gobble up the Touch for connectivity, music and video AND games. App store is a BIG draw, and developers are selling hundreds of thousands of apps. It's a HOT market, and the smoothest distribution system in the industry. What developers spend for design and coding, they make up with the ease of distribution. No packaging, no inventory, no big necessity for marketing, and no shipping costs.

In any case, the word is spreading, and the credibility of the device as a gaming machine can only improve over time. Fact is, I have PLENTY of games on my phone that rival DS offerings. Think about it; for every "FF Tactics Advance" the DS features, it has 50 "Yeti Racing" games (or whatever). The industry isn't stupid. If consumers know about the capabilities of the iDevice, you can bet that game publishers are watching the figures like HAWKS. They know that if a game has a slow launch, at least it won't languish on a dusty shelf for 10 months. A simple viral campaign can invigorate sales, months later.... as well as updates. Look at WORMS for iPhone... people are hard on it now, but a little extra coding, and it could be the best title in the store. All it takes is a few man hours and the effort.

Yes, we'll be seeing huge things in the app store, down the road. That's my prediction.

19. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I think soon enough there will be a massive high quality game with over 1 GB of storage space that could maybe come to that. But as you see from what other people on here, amazing games that would be $30-$40 for any other handheld cost only $4.99-$9.99 here (Like Need for Speed: Undercover and Assassin's Creed; Altair's Chronicles). Unless it was being advertised by Billy Mays (Which would be impossible as of now), they wouldn't be able to sell a $19.99 app that well.

20. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    20 bucks? Blasphemy. There will never be premium games until Apple, iPhone, Approval process, and the developers change. Pfft, iPhone, Premium Games? Get the heck out of here. Look at the consumers and the market- where it stands now; NEVER.