Civilizations tips

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lghtnsurf, Aug 12, 2009.

1. lghtnsurf

lghtnsurf Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hey ok so with the recent release of civilizations and the lite version I decided to pick it up as all my friends love the game but with th tut I'm still very lost. Can you guys that know the game explain some small factors or share some tips and methods? Thanks

2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I dont have it for ipod but i do for 360 and its the same game. And i have played it loads. So what do you need to know??

3. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    Sorry I can't help you too much because I haven't played it much yet.

But this thread should probably go in the game discussion section?

4. lostlogik

lostlogik Well-Known Member

May 19, 2009
  5. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    this is probably in the wrong section, as mentioned above but anyways ..

strategy depends on how you want to win the game. military, cultural or economic. if you want to head down military route then build barracks and armies quickly. put all your science into military style techologies and attack weaker cities first. certain government types are more miltary based and others are economic.

generally tho, build your starting cities nearer water and preferably with some resources in the area. dont build cities on top of each other as they will only split the available boundries and reduce the growth. build roads to as many cities as possible and trade with enemy cities using caravans, really helps build up the coin early on.

its quite easy to get a culutral victory with about 5 or 6 cities only.

6. lghtnsurf

lghtnsurf Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I asked here because I was curious specifically for iPhone. And a for those tips, how can u tell why cities are weak or not? Also u know the western city things that u move and start a new city? Can u put thos on boats? And I also see things like fish on the grouse but how do I pick them up? And atm I've been making friends with all the cities?

7. brypan

brypan Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Might as well turn this into a civ rev help thread. Anybody know what roads are used for, I built quite a few, but don't see how to use them, or what they do.

8. walsh06

1. Im presuming you mean other cities for this one. Basically you cant tell what units are in there but you can look at its level and the higher levels always have better units to defend them. So youll need better units to capture it

2. Im presuming for this you mean settlers as i dont know what "western city things" are. Yes you can put those on boats as they are just another unit. But if an emeny unit walks on it the settler gets captured.

3. The fish, cows, whale are all to do with technologies. If you have the right technology researched youll be able to access these for bonus. To use them they have to be inside the cities boundary. So once you have the right one researched you should build cities close to them.

4. I usually make friends with all guys straight away and attack when it suits. Its easier. Also as you get richer and better in various ways your friends will turn on you and demand stuff from you. So be careful of this.

A few tips now:

- You can bribe your allies to attack other Civs.
    - An archer army is the best defense for any city so get it fast.
    - Build roads as they are useful

just saw the above post about roads. Basically a road from city to city is equal to only one move. So you can move a lot of spaces in one go rather than slowly going from space to space.

9. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    To connect all your cities, for better infrastructure. Plus it reduces movement costs.

10. brypan

brypan Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Thanks for answering me, but how would I do this, I have tried, but can't seem to do it. Would I just place the unit on the road, and set the destination for anywhere on the road?

11. walsh06

If the unit is one city then just select it and move it to the other city and it will all happen in one move. You can also stop anywhere along the road in one move.

12. Gizmoe

Gizmoe Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Student
    Texas...(not really)
    u should delete ur app...then reinstall and this time when u play a new game start the tutorial...it really breaks down the game

13. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Roads allow you to move over distances for no movement cost. It takes a point of movement to enter a city, but otherwise, it basically allows for free movement between cities.

14. walsh06

and why would he delete it just to do the tutorial?? That is the weirdest tip ever :p

15. jt09

jt09 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Your an idiot.. All he needs to do is hit game help once the game is paused to get the same instructions it teaches you in the tutorial... but if you have noticed most of his questions weren't addressed in the tutorial.