Any iOS games that are massive and deep like a PSP game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by halljames, Sep 15, 2011.

1. halljames

halljames Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    UK
    Hey guys. This has probably been asked before, but I am currently playing Gods Eater Burst and Monster Hunter on the PSP and I was wondering if there are any games on the iPad that are incredibly deep like the ones I just mentioned. Most iOS games are fairly brief and linear, so I just wondered what people's thoughts were.

I know there is Final Fantasy Tatics which I have been tempted by, any thoughts on this.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Ascendancy
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Battle for Wesnoth
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    The Quest Gold (+ expansions)
    Aralon

3. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Avadon is deeper than anything on the psp

4. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    FFT is definitely deep. Worth the price if you're hardcore enough to overlook the fact that it's a poor port.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Crisis Core buries Aralon. Seriously. Kingdom Hearts too, probably. And, my opinion, 3rd Birthday. If we are talking a complete gaming experience, then no, not really. If only the controls in Chinatown Wars was better, perhaps. But if you've played the PSP version and iOS version of GTA:CTW, there is no comparison. PSP is vastly superior. Even Real Racing 2 does not match up in terms of a complete package with Race Driver 2006. Some iOS games feature better graphics then an aging PSP, but that doesn't mean that totality of the experience is better. Personally, I did see a lot of potential in Galaxy on Fire 2. There is a lot of polish there, for sure. However, the story and the characters fell so incredibly flat to me that it couldn't maintain my interest.

With the three modern Final Fantasy games, Kindgom Hearts, and 3rd Birthday, Square-Enix has pretty much outdone anything that the iOS is capable of producing. Plus Metal Gear Solid Peacemaker, God of War, Vice City Stories, Manhunt 2, both Spyhon Filter games, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Resistance, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, God Father Mob Wars, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition, Killzone Liberation. Its a long list.

6. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Man, there have been some hilarious spam posts lately. :)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ah, the PSP fanboy speaks!

Crisis Core is one of the few games that I've hated the first time I tried it, got talked into trying it again by folks who share your enthusiasm for it, and ended up hating it even more. I have to imagine that you have to be an FF7 fanboy to enjoy it. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was better (well, at least the combat was better, though needlessly complicated) but it was also really repetitive with a ridiculous amount of backtracking. Aralon was easily more enjoyable than either of them.

I agree with your general point, though: the PSP has way has more "big games" than iOS -- particularly if Monster Hunter is your idea of a "big game." When you speak about "a complete package" I read "a bunch of crap I don't care about that the developer included to justify charging $40 for a handheld game." The 9quad is right: there's nothing as deep as Avadon on PSP. Not even close. That's a different kind of depth than what you get in a "complete package" like Monster Hunter.

For what it's worth, the most affecting gaming experience I've had in a while came from 1112 part 3.

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, if you're looking at RPGs there's Crimson Gem Saga, which was originally a PSP game before coming to iOS. It's more detailed than most of the iOS-native RPGs for that reason.

King of Dragon Pass is another game with a lot of meat to it, and fills a rather unique gaming niche. That was a PC game first, and has been updated for iOS.

In general, you'll find that most of the deeper iDevice games are either multi-platform, or were originally released for a different system. For example, Avadon, which was recommended in this thread because of its depth, is descended from a long line of PC/Mac RPGs (and was released on these platforms first).

9. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    There's a few adventure games worth looking into if you are into that genre: Monkey Island, Puzzle Agent, Hector, Sword and Sworcery. Anyway, I agree with Drelb's list too. Battle of Wesnoth is great if you are a tactics fan.

If you are looking for things like Monster Hunter or God Eater, you won't get anything of its equivalent. There is a Monster Hunter title on the appstore, but it's a watered down version of what you already have on the psp. You might like Infinity Blade, which is something like crisis core but without so much spells. If you are into crafting aspects and action RPG, you might like the Korean RPG, Wild Frontier.

10. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    I love you for making this thread because I was checking out all the games people posted and found Crimson Gem Saga for the first time. Thanks! XD (and thank you Appletini too)

11. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #11 klarence, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    personal idea,i dont expect others would agree with what i would say below:
    i have to say zenonia 3. I'd admit that I've never experienced a better rpg game than zenonia 3 in IOS. great story.at least 30 more hours gameplay, fantastic scenario setting. but this only made it a good rpg game. so whats more: its an action-rpg, and the action part is really great.
    plus:zenonia 2 sucks.

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    It's not so bad if you get the right settings, run it in safemode (if you're on a jb device), and get used to the controls. They're supposed to be updating it with retina support soon also.

Battle for Wesnoth is another really good tactical game.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    There is really nothing on IOS that comes anywhere close at all to the depth of those two games there isn't even anything in that genre.
    I've no doubt people will disagree with me but there just isn't.

14. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Avadon isn't deeper? Avadon not Aralon.

15. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    even wesnoth is really deep, I think what he means is no ios game as deep as psp in terms of action game such as monster hunter.
    thats ture.

16. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #16 violentv, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
    I know your post is a month old , but there was so much venom in it that I can't help but post a reply ! After all, I have only ever seen calm and collected responses from you.

PSP games have their own franchises like the "Tales of" series? But PSP games are mostly published to complement console games. Games like The 3rd Birthday,Dissidia, Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, Valkyrie Profile etc are all spin offs/sequels of console games/franchises. More canon is always good right! Especially if it is canon of a franchise you are deeply enamoured with.This I feel, adds depth to the overall gaming experience.

Avadon is a bona fide role playing game with excellent writing and plot (I am glad I picked it up for the ipad)... but it is at the end of the day, a western RPG and the PSP RPG catalogue is populated with JRPGs. JRPGs just don't carry the same role playing experience( 'depth'?) and writing I guess. What good JRPGs like Persona 3: FES do provide is cinematic storytelling and very strong characters...even if the plot is linear and the characters predefined and classified into archetypes etc. There are also games like the Ys series and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky that are really well done both in terms of writing and gameplay.

As for Avalon, I enjoyed the wide variety of things I was able to do in the game but the vapid plot, the lack of lore and the absent of strong or likable characters (in my opinion) really marred my gaming experience. I enjoyed the Tales of series on the PSP much more than Avalon.

To get back to the main topic of this thread, I do feel that Avadon is undoubtedly the 'deepest' RPG on the ios platform!

17. MrOstrich

MrOstrich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    That's a pretty biased view point towards those game SE has been putting out being actually good....PSP games are very much like iOS games in one aspect, a lot of them are caricatures of console games, and the ones that are the most heinous in pretending to be a full experience and not being that are RPGs (almost all of them) and most shooters as well. I'm an old school Square fan, grew up on the Final Fantasy series when it was good, and I can honestly say all the stuff they've put out hasnt been considered widespread good in a while, and their latest FF game they put out had better gameplay than story, which is a very game thing for an RPG to me at least.

All the regular genres of games are, in all honesty, not that great on PSP or iOS, there are some notable exceptions on iOS, because developers have learned better control options than on the PSP i believe.

tl;dr : no iOS games are 'massive and deep' like a PSP game, i dont believe any PSP games are massive and deep either though.

18. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    No iOS game I could think of at the moment except for GTA chinatown wars which is also on the PSP and is much better.PSP is a dedicated gaming system though,that would explain.Developers will tend to put more attention to it.

19. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    personally, I like dark meadow and zenonia 3 more than GTA chinatown wars and scribblenauts.
    So i think which device is better? people get different idea. Its really depends on what games they like.:)

20. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    now with gangstar rio came out, things changed.:D
    even in terms of action game, ios keeps getting better.