new iphone game Laststandstan

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by laststandstan, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laststandstan

laststandstan Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Various Government, Military
    taunton, uk
    finally nearing release of my new iphone game LastStandStan preview links here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZ6HfkPFq8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAVots80J7o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoalnIHHdIw

Background:

I wanted to keep the game simple in terms of play with the aim of having a game that gets progressively more difficult but can be picked up and played quickly for varying amounts of time. It is my first venture into app development and production so a review, preferably positive, would be great. The game has 2 modes, campaign and survival with later linked to the apple gamecenter. In the campaign mode the player has 20 levels to complete where the baddies progressively change and are more challenging to defeat. As the game progresses new weapons and features are unlocked and at the end of each 5th level a boss enemy must be defeated. With the survival mode every enemy type appears and the idea of this mode is to survive as long as possible with your score captured and fed to the gamecenter api. Only weapons unlocked in the campaign mode are available in the survival mode thus to last longer it is best to complete the campaign first.

In terms of simplicity, the main character Stan (Static Alien Neutraliser) is fixed and rotates to face each enemy. Control is finger tapping or dragging. There is still a couple of weeks to go before submission to allow for some minor changes and tweaks plus sound inclusion. It will be priced at 59p. The game is designed to work on the 3GS and is iphone 4 retina ready.

2. mean_monkey

mean_monkey Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Indonesia
    Looks like it has too much of switching weapons for me

3. Lightworx

Lightworx Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Italy
    It looks nice. Not sure if the switching weapons will detract from the fluidity of the gameplay, but the graphics look very nice. Wish you the best of luck with this one :)

4. joelchrist

joelchrist Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    It sounds cool , especially the mind blowing graphics works.

5. laststandstan

Nov 22, 2010
    taunton, uk
    there is weapon switching since different weapons have varying effectiveness against the enemies however, the I deliberately showed more than necessary switching for the purposes of the preview vids....I will upload a real world gameplay vid when I get the chance but thank you for your comments :)

6. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    This should be posted in Upcoming games if it isn't live for purchase. Also, after looking at the videos, I think the extra clicks/touches to change weapons is a big distraction. The game doesn't pause when the big weapon selector wheel pops up which might bug some people since it obscures so much of the battlefield. Our 3D space game also has a lot of weapons and we decided to display the controls along the right and at the bottom. Just curious why you decided on your approach. Visual simplicity is nice, but interface/usability simplicity trumps that in my opinion.

7. laststandstan

Nov 22, 2010
    taunton, uk
    apologies if I have posted to wrong group...new to forum.

As I have mentioned the vid showed more weapons change would be normal. When the weapon menu is open the background game does pause which is why I took the design approach I did. I agree with your comments in that if it did not pause my choice of menu would be sorely wrong. I did look at implementing a side bar type tab which when tapped pulled out side menu but with the pause feature decided against it. I will put together a new video which demo's more realistic gameplay. Again thanks for comments - all useful information.