Mole - Coming very soon to the app store.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by designerwatts, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. designerwatts

designerwatts Active Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Game design and art
    Melb, Australia
    #1 designerwatts, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Hi everyone!

My name's Chris and I'd like to show you peeps my first iPhone project.

[​IMG]

Mole is an upcoming action/puzzle game that’s been designed and developed for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

You play as Mark the mole as he takes on an epic quest to dig for the fabled Terracotta gem and save his town from bankruptcy!

If you enjoyed games like iDig it but wanted a more frenetic, arcade style of gameplay then Mole is for you!

Game features:

• An easy to play touch based game with no complex and cloggy GUI controllers. Simply touch or press down at any location to have Mark dig to it!
    • Explore the deep underground and dig through randomly generated levels. Each level is a new bite sized adventure!
    • Collect metal to upgrade your mining tools so Mark can dig deeper, faster and longer!
    • Post your best dig scores on facebook, twitter and ranked online leaderboards!
    • Progress through 4 different mining ranks and unlock 10 achievement medals!

Price: $1.99 USD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mole is a collaborative effort between Ben Britten (EscapeFactory’s main developer) and Chris Watts, a Melbourne based game designer and artist. Featuring exciting original music and sound design by Brent Lord of FatLab Music, another escapeFactory collaborator.

Mole is built with Unity3d and became a Game Connect Asia Pacific finalist. It was showcased to the development community to huge success.

Ben Britten, my partner in making Mole will be posting soon on details on upcoming beta testing and other details.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Looks to be an excellent concept. Nice Graphics and UI. I can't wait, thanks for the heads up:)

3. XyrisKenn

XyrisKenn Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Developer
    Czech Republic
    That looks really cool and well-designed. Can't wait to check it out.

4. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

I actually played this at Game Connect this year where the guys were up as finalists in the indie awards and can vouch that it's a lot of fun. It's a game you're going to keep coming back to and perfect for the iPhone platform.

5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Hi Chris, Welcome to TA & a Happy new year!
    Expecting a Lite & a Yes to the touch controls :cool:
    Ofcourse I like wht I am seeing!
    Whts the estimated price on this one ?

6. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    Hey All,

I am the dev on Mole, and we will be looking for a handful of beta testers in the next few days if anyone is interested.

Just pop over to my blog to sign up:
    http://benbritten.com/2010/01/05/so-you-want-to-be-an-iphone-beta-tester/

We are doing an inhouse beta at the moment to get the big show stopper bugs but in a few days we would love to have a few people give it a try and let us know if they find any problems etc..

Cheers!
    -Ben

7. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    I forgot to add that there is a web based version (requires the unity web player) that you can go play right now. It is the same one that we showed at GCAP this year, and it is almost identical to the iPhone version ( the iPhone is a bit more polished, newer gfx, you can play it on the train, etc..)

Anyhow, if you want to have a look:
    Head over here:
    http://escfactory.com/mole/

And hit the 'play mole now' link near the bottom.

We decided to go with a web playable version instead of a lite version.

Cheers!
    -B

8. designerwatts

Jan 5, 2010
    Game design and art
    Melb, Australia
    Thanks ultimo,

You can also play a demo build of the game we made on PC right now for free. [Details posted by Ben Britten on this thread.]

When in the app store the full game on iPhone will sell for $1:99 USD.

Thanks for your questions. :)

9. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow, what an intriguing concept! I'll definitely keep my eye on this one.

10. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Looks a lot like I Dig It... but a cooler art style. At least cooler IMO. I will probably get this nonetheless.

11. designerwatts

Jan 5, 2010
    Game design and art
    Melb, Australia
    Thanks for the support. :D

Mole has similarities to iDig it. Which can only be a good thing as iDig it a very solid and polished iPhone game.

What I wanted to give people with Mole is a more arcade like experience with the game play mechanic of digging for riches. In Mole the levels are randomly generated and restarted every time they play. Movement is also full 360 degrees rather then the traditional 4 direction approach.

With access to leaderboards I hope people will take advantage of the arcade style of Mole to post some wicked scores. :D