Growing out of mobile games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Dec 18, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    When I say 'growing out', I mean not in age, but perhaps in time played of them. I've been IOS gaming since I think 2010, and now it's no longer as exciting. (Which is at odds with nearly everyone else here)
    Only two titles struck me this year in 'an exceptional year' for mobile gaming.
    I think everything saturates at some point. Everything starts with a buzz- what can this device do- and then you see all the sheer iterations and variations what it can do and they've been amazing. More recent acquirers of an iPhone, or iPad they're at this buzz stage and it must be pretty amazing.
    Following the buzz stage, the maturation stage, so you search every cranny for titles you've not heard of, and on the pulse of every new game.
    Then finally. The declination stage, gaming thrills you find harder to find, as each game is versions of stuff done before, or played before, just slightly altered.
    And then that's the whole pathway.
    Enjoy the journey.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I've been gaming on iPhones since before there was an AppStore. I can see burning out on gaming as a whole over time. But specifically on iPhone? Man, this year has been seen some pretty incredible games, from ports like Severed, Jade Empire, Bully, and Steamworld Heist to originals like Eggggg, Super Cat Tales, Legend of the Skyfish, Space Marshalls 2, and so on.

Again, I get it if none of that thrills you. But that has nothing to do with how long you've been playing on iOS.

3. Desertking24

Desertking24 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    For me...I'm sorta burning out because most of the games can be found on consoles and pcs and handheld....lack of exclusives for me. I mean I carry my 3ds around lately and the games I do like on the iOS device play better with a mfi controller meaning I have to carry my device and a controller. Don't get me wrong I still play Classics like Infinity Blade and Angry Birds..but it's like I get hyped on an iOS game and then I found out a week later it's out on my PSVita/3ds.

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm the opposite, I've been gaming since I was tiny and at 36 I'm still often amazed by how far gaming has come, whereas my 12 year daughter hasn't really known any different.

I remember waiting for cassettes to load to play in my PC, and then floppy discs, and then CDs, and now you can have game installed and be playing before I'd even have a cassette open. Whereas with my Daughter, she's never known any different, consoles have always existed, being able to take and play a console quality game out with her, she's never lived in a world without internet so lots of the elements that excite me about today's gaming hasn't ever been a new thing for her, so it's never been a novelty or something to get excited about if that makes sense.

We both love gaming but I think my Daughter has a different approach to it than me, and the face she pulls when I do the "in my day" talk is very much like the face I gave my mother when text messages became a thing. (Which my mum still finds amazing lol)

5. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Ah that's nice your daughter plays alongside you, I trust she has played plants vs zombies, kids love that one.

I might disagree. You look at any console, xbox360, Wii, ps2, DS. They get stale after so long. And not just because newer and better consoles come out.