iControlPad... Would you even use it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RoyalCanadian, Nov 9, 2009.

1. RoyalCanadian

RoyalCanadian Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    why would you get a touch phone and add on accesories with buttons? it just doesn't make sense. as you can see in the front page video the control pad looks like a gameboy... weird...

would you use it?

2. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    No dice. Looks real clunky

3. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

I can see a market for it, especially if ports of old platform games support it. Things like earthworm jim and nicky boom could really benefit from physical buttons, and if it were cheap enough (under $40), I might buy it myself so I could enjoy those types of games when I have it with me. It isn't something I'd carry around with me, but if it was well designed, it might have a place in my laptop bag so I can get better control of games not originally designed for a touch interface.

I liked the original PSP style design better though.

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a touch-only device, imho. I have a psp and ds, why would I want to play anything else that looks like them. I'll probably avoid games that require the use of this thing too.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    If it's under $50, I'd buy it. I definitely won't carry it around, but it's good to have it to play more traditional games like Assassin's Creed or FIFA 10 at home where I can sit and play it for long hours.

However, I'd only buy games that support external controller, not ones that require it. That way I can play it whether or not I have the huge black stone with me.

6. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    OLD design yes I would use it

NEW design no looks ugly and an odd shape for my pocket, it should be minimal.

7. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    yes,the old design is still better
    putting dual analog is cool but portability and style is still what matters in the market
    minimal buttons is enough coz we already have the touch screen
    and i really think my idea of just separating d-pad and other buttons in two sides might be the best design for me

8. souskei

souskei Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    I agree.. The old design is WAY better

9. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1 to everything you just said

10. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    i'd certainly buy it if it was under 50 big ones.

i prefer playing games by touch. or more importantly i should say without the acceleronometer thingie.

i much prefer to use my finger to control things instead, but sometimes when playing like this my stubby fingers just cover up everything on the screen and i cant see anything. this is why i'd love to give one of these babies a bash.

the design looks pretty shite though. i've seen a much nicer, slimmer and ergonomically pleasing concept than this somewhere before.

11. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    If Zottd got that N64 emulator working, I would pick this up in a heartbeat.

12. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    That's exactly what I was going to write.
    But it should have L & R Buttons too and maybe a sega megadrive layout (6 instead of only 4 action buttons on the front)

Hoping to play Mario 64 an Mariokart 64 with 60fps on my iPhone ^^

I'll pay any price!

13. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEkĀ®
    washington
    yeah i'd buy it, i wouldnt take it with me anywhere though. Mostly for a better emulated games experience..which alone is worth it.

14. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

no it defeats the purpose of owning a touch device. if i wanted to own a device like that id get a ds or psp2

15. NetRitual

NetRitual Well-Known Member

Battery and external controls? It doesn't look that bad and expands the gameplay from touch casuals to more in depth games. Now if only I could get a Bluetooth keyboard to do my lecture notes on!

16. Lluvia

Lluvia Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Germany
    A poll would be nice ;).

I would use it, if it's not too expensive. Just for more comfort and more accurate controls. Although I wouldn't carry it around with me.

17. matgzx

matgzx Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Student - Musician - Tennis Player
    Bogota, Colombia
    Maybe not

I think the iPod Touch and the iPhone are, touch devices, using that thing would be like trying to simulate a Game Boy, which doesn't make sense for me, and the size of the thing is too big, I think the iPod/iPhone touch control scheme is very nice, I don't need that big piece of hardware to play, that's my opinion.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    In a way it's why I prefer the older design, it just made the device a big longer but also giving a D-pad and some buttons. I like the touch as it is but it's always nice to have some optional buttons, just a shame it looks so huge in the video, ruins the point unless you just want to play emulators on a jailbroken device...

19. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    I also like the old design better and think it would make all sports titles much more playable, I would love to have just a case that made the phone easier and more comfortable to hold for longer periods of time.

20. aleksa-94

aleksa-94 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    of course the old design was waay better.this will be awesome for SOME games but it will be REALLY awesome for emulators from zottd:rolleyes: