Anyone else not care for accelerometer based games on iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dorfdad, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Just wanted to see if it's just me or does anyone else think that the size of the iPad is a bit to large for games that require tilting to move?

So far I have played real racing, Parcel Panic, and Heavy Gunner 3D and I have to say I am not really digging these types of apps on the iPad. I prefer them on the iPhone.

Not that they don't look great, but for example try picking up your netbook (i know its not the same size weight etc but its close in size) and turn it left and right real fast while holding it upwards in your face)

Even at 1.5 lbs its a bit scary for me to be swinging this 600 around. Also when you look down or up you can not really see the screen anymore.

I'm starting to thing the iPad is going to be a GREAT gaming platform for alot of genres except the racing and or heavily emphasized accelerometer based gaming.

What do you think?

2. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Actually, the racing games are quite nice.

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Most doodle jump casual games are better on the iPhone but I prefer the racing games on the iPad. Doubt I will go back to playing any racing games on the iPhone.

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I agree. Although I don't have an ipad, I can imagine it being hard to do, and feel like an idiot while doing it.

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have a hypothesis that those believing the iPad won't be great for accelerometer based games are typically the ones who readily "got it" in terms of motion sensing on iPhone/touch needing slight movements of the wrists, while those praising iPad accelerometer based games over iPhone/touch versions are those that didn't "get it" with iPhone/touch due to the smallness of the device. The more hefty iPad forces them to "get it" as they can really only make slight movements of the wrist lest arms get cramped.

6. qwerty12

qwerty12 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    No I like super monkey ball 2 for the ipad a lot

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It's just you, mate.

8. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I'll have to get Real Racing tonight. I've been holding off due to the fact I'd look like I'm having a seizure at Starbucks while playing a racing game... lol

Touch Controls ftw?! ;)