Universal Little Inferno HD - (by Tomorrow Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Okay okay, I guess I snapped at this a little hastily. I stand by what I said about the differences between games and "experiences", but whatever you call this thing, it's hella relaxing. I wouldn't recommend it specifically to gamers, but I would recommend it to people in general. It's charming and by God I love burning things.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    You were a little harsh on your first post in this thread! Glad it worked out though

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I shouldn't come here so soon after waking up, I'm always cranky. I blame my iPad for being so portable and fast to connect with, back in the days when I had to use a PC I couldn't even be bothered turning it on until the evening.

Just got an update for this already, I think that's some kind of speed record. Minor tweaks.

4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I'm really excited to play this finally. I held out when it orginally came out and when it was released on ths Wii U because I knew it was inevitably coming to the iPad soon. Can't wait, only about another 30 mins :D

5. bkfount

bkfount New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    I actually almost bought it on the WiiU because I need something to play on it and the game is on sale for $10. I had no idea this was coming to iOS for half that price.

Good stuff.

6. LN3000

LN3000 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    TARDIS
    If you liked World of Goo, get this.
    If you value charm, quirkiness, and have an open mind, get this.
    If you like new things, and want to support developers creating things that make you think outside the box, get this.

I've purchased this game for WiiU, Steam (Windows/Mac), and now iPad.
    and I feel it's worth it.

Very happy to see it show up on iOS a lot sooner than I expected.

I originally bought this game simply because I love World of Goo, and trust the developers to create something that makes me happy. They did a great job keeping "What is Little Inferno?" a secret up to release.
    If you have to ask, and can't accept "It's hard to explain. Basically you burn things. But it's more than that. Trust me, and check it out." as an answer, then it's probably not for you.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    If its anything like Flower or Journey, count me in.

8. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Picked this up. Very excited to check it out. I have no idea what to expect, but I know I'm going to like it.

9. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    My earlier doubts were unfounded. So far this is a superb experience that is very much more than the sum of its parts. A superb fire mechanic with very stylish graphics and a real feel of atmosphere and 'something going on'. Brilliant and well worth the £2.99 asking price

10. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    London, UK
    I see that this has Game Center integration. Does it have achievements?

11. Prhaber

Dec 16, 2010
    #51 Prhaber, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    This. Game. Is . So. Much. Fun......

Just had a 'wow/my god did I just do that' moment. Won't spoil it for anyone as discovering this game yourself is half the fun, but just burnt an item that reacted in a way I wasn't expecting.

It just gets better and better. It's creepy, atmospheric and disturbingly enjoyable burning everything. And finding the different combos of items to burn is great.

Update : oh my god. The Little Inferno instructional Video (unlocked in game) is awesome. Reminds me of the plasmid videos in Bioshock. Seriously creepy and unsettling!

Get this game if you've got a soul. You won't be disappointed.

12. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I can't decide if this game is awesome or awful. I mean, it's awesome. But something terrible just happened. Omg.

13. Prhaber

Dec 16, 2010
    Think i know what you're talking about. I can still hear the screams.....

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I moderately enjoyed Flower for about 45 minutes, then absolutely hated the fact I'd just spent money on a game with zero replay value. Now the mere thought of it makes me feel ill.

Journey I like a little more as it lasted perhaps 3 hours and I enjoyed it more as I played, but still can't imagine myself going back anytime soon. That's my main issue with these types of games. I don't hate the product itself, just the part about them being one-time experiences. There are movies I'll re-watch in shorter timespans.

Speaking of movies, a quote from Lost In Translation sums up my problem pretty well: "Let's never come back here again, because it would never be as much fun".

I'm enjoying Little Inferno right now, but I can't be sure exactly how I'll rate it one week from now.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just finished off the first 20 combos. I can easily say this is the best $5 I've spent in a very long time and I'd go as far as saying everyone with an iPad should experience this experience.

16. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    I like to know this also before punching the buy button??

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yes it has achievements, for finding the combos and stuff

18. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It looks to me like this is 'the emperor in his new clothes walking down the street naked' glorying in his invisible magic gown. Until the little kid shouted out The Emperor's got no clothes on' no-one was game to tell the truth.

The sad thing is people will buy this and then, like the emperor try and justify to us just how wonderful it is when we can't see anything. The content and gameplay is invisible because there isn't any.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Gameplay is basic and minimal, but it could be argued there is more to do here than on Tetris. There's definitely content.

I just finished it a moment ago. All 99 combos, 999 bucks, 99 stamps, stars on every catalog. It took me just over five hours, which is about the length of a Call of Duty single player campaign for less than 1/10th the cost.

The sad thing is, rather than come up with logical criticism about the game, some people will throw around nonsensical analogies in a vague attempt to sound creative and intelligent.

I don't regret the purchase at its current price, but if I'd spent $10 or more on it I'd probably be thinking about all of the other games I could have bought with the same money.

20. Prhaber

Dec 16, 2010
    I thought the same thing until I started playing. Gameplay in video games is about levels of interactivity, and this is one of the most interactive games I've played in a long time. You can set fire to the in-game instructions for heavens sake. And your own photos - and the reactions you get from different items are wonderful.

I also thought it looked like a bit of a technical demo until I started playing and then I got it - it's got a load of charm, atmosphere and quirkiness bult around a fire/burning engine that's far better than games like 'Burn the Rope'. There's a load of collectibles in the form of items to buy with in-game money (no iap here!) and a long list of combos to work out and discover, n a highy intersctive and enjoyable game - the gameplay may be off-the-wall and unique but its not invisible.

I really hope people give this game a chance because it's so worth it IMHO. And like the best of games is so much more than the sum of its parts. And if its 4-5 hours of play (which most people are saying) for a few pounds, I don't think anyone can complain...