Indie developer looks for marketing / monetization help

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by bladko, Oct 27, 2012.

1. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    #1 bladko, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Hi,

I am looking for help regarding way of marketing and monetization (via simple IAP) our apps which can be checked here:

Its rather about helping us with choosing proper marketing way in general or / and point things obvious things that we completely failed at, and not to create specific and detailed marketing business plan. I am thinking about mix of free social and paid marketing so we have some $ budget for it including fee for such service.

So far we are completely far from what is called industry standards but did not spent on anything other then on app production. We are going to release more polished titles in this year and do not want to make same stupid mistakes like with those already published apps.

2. BonezalesProductions

BonezalesProductions Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. I myself have used a site called http://www.monstermobilemarketing.net to generate a spike in downloads by providing me with a written review as well as a video demonstration giving potential users a visual look at what they would be purchasing. Listen, the problem with Indie developers is that they spend either their time or money on just development, then expect things to go on auto pilot to make masses of $$$$. The short answer here is... WRONG. Do you honestly think that huge companies like Rovio and others have no marketing budgets in place and pay for non stop, in your face advertising? A lot of Indie devs I've spoken to think it's unreal to pay for a review. WRONG again. Like we always say, You can't sell a million copies if a million people don't realize your app is even there. Just my 2 cents in the matter. Make sure to check out Monster Mobile Marketing in the link above and see what you think as they're running a discount now where you get a Grand Finale package for the price of a Basic package. Plus they are cooking up a great intro page that will help market apps and definitely be an interesting project from what I've been hearing. Indie Devs should stick together and use our ideas as one rather than fleeing off on a solo mission only to fail at a very high rate.

3. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    #3 bladko, Nov 8, 2012
    ive heard initial Angry Birds had budget about 100K $ including marketing... but maybe that is only urban tales...

anyway thanks for you replay :)

4. GreatApps.com

GreatApps.com Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Market Your App with GreatApps.com

Hi,

We here at GreatApps.com have spoken to some of the biggest companies in the world and have specifically asked what they did for app marketing.

They all have big marketing $$$'s going into app marketing because of the competition they face.

It is very rare that anyone will succeed with their app with zero paid marketing efforts. It does happen but everyone is simply playing the lottery when trying to submit their apps to all these sources because they are free.

Free channels are all very short term and will not last. You need a way to get your app noticed to thousands of consumers daily. Many of the popular sites online are flooded with app owners/developers all fighting for the same free space.

How much of their traffic do you really think are people that will download your app?

Something to think about...

- [email protected]

5. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    #5 bladko, Nov 13, 2012
    Hi,

Tell Notch from Minecraft about free channels are very short term and will not last, his product was basically built by community :) I can only comment about this part because most paid marketing offers just sucks (not effective, at least for a indie developer), but thanks a lot for your replay.

Tom

6. seahorsevn

seahorsevn Active Member

I think indie devs should need to spend some coins for marketing. In my case, I've just released my first game, and tried to attract people's attention with FB, Twitter by myself, but it does not create a big effect. So I decided saving my money and look for some websites can review my next application with cheap price for lone wolf like me.

I have one question is how can we estimate the profit of marketing? Cause I'm technical guy so I don't know how to estimate, balance profit and budget for marketing.

P/S: Sorry for my bad English, I'm not native.

7. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    #7 bladko, Nov 14, 2012
    I am also technical guy but with with major tech PM exp.

Solution is quite simple:

indies should have united on one project and promote it together via organic ways. I cannot imagine how lets say 30 or 50 people cannot make it... how cares about next 40 endless runners any way. This is way of real marketing for indies. But most of them don't care about it and want to make just their own apps.... Indie is about work without public budget not to work alone. How to manage this team? Its simple just design a product from modules or a product that every one can add content without need of recompilation or a common sit with indie apps. Something that every one could care as a one thing not 1000 stupid puzzle games. Big public publishers cannot afford to make risky investment because they power is money. Such team can afford to make high risky project because it has nothing to lose. Current Appstore situation with 1000 new apps per day works only for big publishers, because 700K apps are attracting more and more users.

Simple solution: organic action via indie unification.

Tom

8. BonezalesProductions

BonezalesProductions Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    There's a cool project going on now

There is a great project over @ http://www.monstermobilemarketing.net/mashup/ that is a novelty project that also includes a cross marketing aspect to it. It's very cheap & effective. They're on Twitter also posting great promos going on today only for maximum exposure. Cheers & Happy Holidays to all.