Midnight Star [Unreal Engine/Shooter] by Industrial Toys

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by defred34, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #21 thewzrd, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Don't puke in a box just yet. It's not a carnival-fun-house rails shooter, no. (you know what I'm talking about). And it's not a free-roamer. But we take you in and out of control in (what we think) is a pretty cool, fun way. That's our whole focus with this control scheme-- satisfying fun and that feeling of "flow" you get when mastering well-designed games. You guys will have to judge for yourselves, but we'll want to hear all of that feedback as we go.

2. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I'm so pumped for this. I like the way your going with this. Welcome to TA and any info would be greatly appreciated!

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    All I can hope for is keep the on-rails stuff to a minimum. If that forms the majority of the gameplay, then be prepared for some really harsh ratings and reviews. If that is the case, you still have time to rethink your strategy.

Just an honest opinion of mine. A lot of games that have sought to make "innovative controls" have come in for some flak. Horn, Bladeslinger, Mass Effect among others. Mass Effect (it employed tap-to-shoot at the start) got so bad reviews it eventually included a manual aim update.

4. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Adding in 3 screenshots. Somehow, I feel something's not right with these. Are they the final graphics? They graphics especially look "off" in the third screenshot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    On rails or off I'm so excited about this. I encourage devs to try different things because I know one day something will come along that will have us all saying "I can't believe nobody thought of that until now"

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    looks good and interesting...

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Nothing will replace the virtual joystick to move and swipe to look in shooters. Many tried to do something "better" and they all failed. Or at least it wont happen until some big hardware change (which I have doubt that it) will happen.

8. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    For a traditional fps I agree with you, but they're talking about a on rails hybrid of some sort. This combined with a a new control scheme could really good. And that's what I encourage. Something different.

9. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    It overjoys me to no end that a real live science fiction author is doing the writing, (John Scalzi) but I have zero interest in attempting to play a FPS on my iPhone. Port it to OS X and I'll definitely give it a go.

10. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    John Scalzi is doing the plot? Super excited, I loved Old Man's War.

11. pumpkinchu

pumpkinchu Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Looks more than amazing:)

12. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Well, I guess it would be a lot of work to implement.
    How about using the camera to track the user's head movement to look
    around and tilting the head left and right to strafe?

That has not been done before.

13. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hmmm, what do you make of this? They show more footage and some controls in the video. Does that look like auto-target? I feel a bit disappointed that this is in no way a game for "hardcore" mobile gamers.

14. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    from the looks of it... there is a mix of shooting mechanics.

I see a bit of epoch...cover firing, some rail shooting, and some type of swipe shooting like Skylanders Cloud Patrol.

15. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Puke in the box it is.

I'm not even sure what kind of gaming group the developers are trying to sell this game to. Definitely not to those who like hardcore shooters... This is definitely a game, which a casual gamer would play.

I have a feeling that only an epic storyline can save this game. The graphics look good, but I don't like the effects. The controls don't look good at all, but we will see. I don't like the game mechanics at all though. Who plays on-rail shooters these days?

16. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    "We are making a game for the hardcore audience! We are going to redefine the FPS genre on mobile!"

*Unveils another on rails shooter.

Frankly, it looks really subpar from the footage they showed. Bland graphics, weird shooting, bad animations...

The shotgun doesn't even move when he fires it. Hopefully that's only due to the fact it's still work in progress. But so far, colour me unimpressed.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Those guys in the video really crack me up. Here are more quotes:

- "mobile games are huge, but nobody is really focused on making games specifically for gamers."

...? lol

- "we are approaching that, by kinda taking the grounds up look at how a core game should be developed and played on a mobile device."

Definitely not like that.

- "I think its gonna kinda open their eyes about what kind of hardcore gaming experience they can have on a mobile device."

Its a (semi?) on-rails shooter. Stop calling it hardcore.

Its a real shame seeing all that artistic talent going to waste in this project.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Give it a chance guys. The only thing I'm seeing that's disappointing is the controls and the on rail system.

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #39 Primoz, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    Dude, its no an on-rail shooter, its a re-imagined FPS!

Lmao, those devs are hilarious! They should get their own sitcom.

20. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    So yes, everything you're seeing is super early, cuz we decided to announce the title and show some stuff before most devs are "ready." Mostly to get feedback like this. Anims, guns, graphics, lighting, all of that will improve over time. We've spent most of our early development trying to nail down something that feels good and has satisfying mechanics.

As far as the control scheme and going in and out of control of the player, you'll have to judge for yourself. The level of depth we're baking into this is pretty exciting (for us anyway). You might be dismissing what looks like a typical rails shooter, but I don't think you'll think that after you play it. Admittedly, that's easy for me to say-- I'll be interested to hear what you guys think after you get your hands on it.