New RPG Spell Combat System

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by daveyoung, Jun 7, 2009.

1. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    #1 daveyoung, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
    Here is a spell combat and special effects choreography system I'm putting together for an upcoming release.

This system will go into an update for CastleGuard2 as well as an upcoming spell duel game I'm working on. I guess it also shows one of the new enemies for CastleGuard2, the mischievous and ornery Grog.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you soon :)

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Pretty cool stuff. Reminds me of the PS2 graphics in those old school Final Fantasy series (especially when you do a summon).

One comment though. There is a fair amount of detail while casting the spell, but the projectile of the spell itself was over in like less than a second lol.. Maybe could make it look more like the fireball that appeared while casting it. I only saw a little red ball after it was cast.

3. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    I am adjusting the timings of the trails and emitters on the fireball itself, it takes too long for them to instantiate and at close range it's over quickly. It doesn't help that they move so fast either :)

But you have a good critical eye and I appreciate that! The engine I've built for spells is XML based, so it's easy for me to create new effects and tweak things outside of pure code.

4. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    Great work as usual.
    Another couple of updates and this game will be a must have.

5. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    It looks great!

6. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    And another spell design finished! Now added the ability to manifest shapes and change their materials on the fly, for all the various shield/buff/debuff spells I need to make.

Vid:

http://screencast.com/t/sPN8ByEvQO9

7. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Looks amazing!

8. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Spell Duel Gameplay Design

I've been honing in on some gameplay mechanics for spell dueling, and I think I am getting closer to what I want to be able to play.

It's going to be turn based and focuses around the concepts of building up spell energy and using a strategy to take down your opponent, while maintaining an active defense yourself.

I have broken up spell effects into a series of pieces. Right now I have Offensive and Defensive type spells, and spell modifiers that can be used with some spells. I can either leave the player to assemble their spell from the menus, or I can pre-assemble the spell components into spells and do a card-game style of gameplay with a hand of cards, like Magic.

This has gone through many pages of my notebook but should be close to workable. I arrived at these by thinking carefully about what I would want to be able to do as a player, and what would be cool to see done.

The player will have a multi-level menu to choose from.

Attack (Opens up Offensive)
    Defend (Opens up Defensive)
    From there, the player will pick a spell. One tap to select (and a description will come up). Double tap to continue.
    If the spell has any options, they will show up next, like the spell modifiers.
    If the energy cost of the spell is too high and the player does not have enough gathered energy, the extra energy needed to cast the spell will come out of their health :) Every spell will also have a chance of misfiring.

Offensive:
    Disrupt: Destroys a lingering effect/summoned thing
    Blast: Projectile Goodness
    Bleed: Secondary direct damage (can linger)
    Drain: Drains life from target, gives to caster (can linger)
    Reflect: Reflects damage taken back at the caster (can linger)

Defensive:
    Spell Sink: Counters the next spell targeting the caster (can linger)
    Summon: Wall or Pet (and others)
    Shield: Reduces damage taken (can linger)
    Spike: Increases damage output (can linger)
    Heal: Heals some damage (can linger)

Modifiers:
    Penetrate: Ignores some amount of shielding
    Magnify: Increases damage or healing output
    Prolong: Increases duration of linger
    Delay: Pay spell cost now, spell goes off when delay has elapsed
    Focus: Decreases the chance of the spell misfiring

I'd also really like to work in the concept of spell chaining or Combo cards, which let you cast multiple spells. However at this time I don't have a category for those. Maybe if I added some other abilities like Dodge or Feint or Taunt as playable actions... then a combo card would have a cost like everything else but allow you to cast two spells in the same turn... if you save up enough spell points!

Players will have the option to choose a bonus/penalty.
    Examples:
    Intense: Player's spells have less of a chance of misfiring, but on average do less damage
    Brutal: Player's spells nudge towards the more powerful variety, but misfire more often
    Hardy: Player begins the match with more than normal health but his spells also cost more to cast
    Heir: Player gathers an additional energy every round, but has incurable sickness and loses one health every round

Once I get these rules into a data format, it should be about a month to develop the game.

I am aiming for single player, same-device multiplayer, and internet-based multiplayer modes.

9. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Wow. It looks like it's gonna be an awesome game! Thanks for the detailed post.

10. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
  11. AwakenOsiris

AwakenOsiris Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    these games are cool but if the character is stationary it gets boring.

12. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Yeah. RPGs require movement.

13. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    The RPG that the system is going into (CastleGuard2) has movement. The system itself was so fun to work with that I developed a separate turn-based game using it, and it's almost done (one more week until submission). I will then get back to work on the main RPG project.