Does Anyone Still Play 2D Top-Down Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by o3gaming, Nov 5, 2013.

1. o3gaming

o3gaming New Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi all,

I took a good look around the App Store and noticed most of the hot games are in 3D.

Do people still play 2D top-down games anymore? I'm only asking because we made a fantastic Sci Fi squad-based tactical shooter for Windows and would like to port it over to iPhone - the entire process should take about 2 weeks. Wondering if it was even worth it at this point in time seeing that most iOS gamers seem to be buying 3D games? The graphics isn't near Infinity Blade for example. just wanted a little census!

2. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013

For me its about the gameplay.. and somewhat great graphics..

and yes 2D is okay!

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I have a couple 3d titles but my most played games are the 2d ones. I prefers better gameplay over nicer looking graphics

4. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Like Trial by Survival, top down shooting RPG, still playing it when i have some free time

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here. I have tons of 2d games, dont get me wrong having some variety is good (have some 3d games) but i mostly prefer 2d games

Filesize isnt always that massive and others have said its about the gameplay

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I play lots of top down 2D games regularly... Heroes of Loot is my most recently played one.

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Not on ios but Hotline Miami recently showed that top down action still cuts it with the best

8. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    I play plenty of 2D games also.

9. unicowz

unicowz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    @ exact psience, this question is totally off point but whe i asked which endless runner games are the best in another thread they told me to ask you:D, so i was wondering which ones are the best in your opinion, and if they are comparable to subway surfers

10. unicowz

unicowz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    i have an ipod 4 so there arent many ''high graphics'' games that run well enough on it, but still, like almost everybody here said, the gameplay is far more important than the graphics, sure 3d graphics will attract a lot of people but in the end its the gaming expierience that determines how good a game is, i myself am a huge fan of 8-bit or retro graphics and prefer them over 3d grapics, so i would say start porting your game :D

11. Of course, I love 2D games, and I also love top down shooters. I used to be addicted to SAS Zombie Assault 3.

12. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I love playing 2D strategy games - mostly tile or hexagon based games. Tower defense games are mostly 2D (or 2D with a bit of a 3D look and feel). Kingdom Rush was really well executed.