Unity iOS and Android basic free until April 8th

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Uncade, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Uncade

Uncade Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Haven't seen anything here about this, but Unity iOS basic and Android basic are free until April 8th. It's an awesome deal, and if you have even a small interest you should pick it up.

https://store.unity3d.com/

2. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Yeah it's awesome! Tried to DL yesterday but the servers were down.

3. matador1978

matador1978 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    That is so cool, thank you very much for posting this, downloading now...

Servers are really overloaded at the moment.

Again, THANKS!!

4. Sorry for my ignorance here, but does this mean you get a license to publish Unity games to the IOS App Store (or Android Market) forever? If I remember properly, Unity was a 1 time purchase, so this would be that purchase?

5. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I second that question^^^^

6. Uncade

Uncade Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    According to the Unity twitter if you get the license before April 8th, the license lasts forever.

7. Thanks for pointing that out. I went read their twitter account and it is indeed a license for Android and IOS for free and forever! Thank you very much Uncade for this info! Insane offer! I always wanted to try Unity but the cost was holding me back. Not an issue anymore!

Even if you can't download now, I would just "purchase" it so you get the license emailed to you.

8. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

This is for the basic versions ... they are missing some stuff that the pro versions have. Main thing of relevance though (was to me anyway) is if you publish a game with the basic version, the splash screen is a Unity splash screen. You need to purchase the full version (which used to be $1500 per version?) to be able to use your own splash screen. Also, costs start adding up when you want to start adding Gamecenter , Storekit, etc which are all third party paid plugins. Having said that though it is really very good ...

9. matador1978

matador1978 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    @HeliApps:
    Unity 3.5 supports Game Center & Co out-of-the-box apparently.

From the Unity 3.5 features page:

• Builtin iAd, Compass and Push notification support on iOS.
    • Fully pluggable Social API with out-of-the-box iOS GameCenter support.

Good times :)

10. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I paid unity ios a few monthe ago...
    To get Unity ios Pro you need to buy Unity pro + ios pro, which are 3000$ (1500$ the pro + 1500$ ios pro).
    You can subsctract the price you've paid for ios basic ( 3000$ - 400$ = 2600$)
    I don't know if this reduction is still good with ios basic free promotion.

11. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for the tip Uncade. I think I'd shoot myself in the head if I'd missed out on this.

12. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    This isn't too bad compared to some other game engines out there. Unity has a good reputation now as it has produced a good number of top quality apps.

It would be nice to be able to publish without the Unity splash screen, but it is far from a deal breaker.

The other major factor is you don't get build stripping with the standard version, but it is still possible to get apps under the 20 MB 3G download limit.

But this is a great deal for a fantastic bit of software. I already had the iOS licence, but have added Android with this deal even though I am not planning on releasing anything with it at the moment.

13. sh13ld

sh13ld Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Co-founder & CEO
    Finland
    I noticed the deal yesterday and downloaded both iOS and Android version for my home computer. It's pretty amazing that they are giving away $800 worth of software but of course they are counting on that as the hunger grows, some people will buy Pro versions.

Thanks Unity! :)

14. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    thank you

Thank you so much for posting this!
    We have already bought Unity Pro and IOS Pro and are sooo happy with it.
    But we wanted to buy Android sometime this year and now we don`t have to :)

15. FunInfusedGames

FunInfusedGames Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    I'll be picking this up soon. I've played with Unity before for PC development but haven't tried it on mobile platforms yet. I do a lot of 2D stuff though which Unity isn't as suited for, but maybe I'll finally do some 3D instead.

16. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    It's probably worth mentioning that if you earn over a certain amount of money in a single year (somewhere in the tens of thousands of dollars) you will have to upgrade to pro versions. But this is an awesome deal they are offering. I already have Unity Pro, Unity iOS Pro and Unity Android Pro but I'll be grabbing this for my other non-work PCs just incase my Macbook is ever unavailable in the future.

17. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    You can do 2D stuff without problems. Just lock Z axis, use orthographic camera (you can even use perspective for some cool depth effects).

Also you get free and powerful Physx engine for your game... physics! :)

18. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Bit of a stupid question, can one develop a mobile game with Unity on a PC?

Also, does the Basic splash screen display correctly 'up' on an iPad orientated in it's *normal* Landscape state? (it's the little things that count to me)

19. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    You'll only be able to build Android games on a PC, assuming you mean a Windows PC (cause macs are also "personal computers"). For iOS devices you have to have the version of Unity installed on a Mac. You can't even build the Xcode project on a windows PC then transfer that to a Mac to do the final build.

In the Player Settings you can choose the default orientation to be Portrait, Upside down portrait, Landscape left and landscape right, and one would assume they'd rotate the splash screen accordingly.. Although i haven't played any Unity games in landscape mode from memory so I haven't seen it in action.

20. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#20 blitter, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    Good point, I should have said Win32 (in my case). I just think of Windows as "PC" and OSX as "Mac"...Though I did consider Hackintosh'ing for the preferred experience, even though MS Visual C++ is also fantastic.

Is there not a Player Setting which allows for 'Same as Status Bar'...

Edit: I just figured that such a setting would be good for iPad but not iPhone (always Portrait normal). Instead it would require accelerometer consideration, or some similar OS info. Just wondered if a splash screen would display upright in both landscape-left and landscape-right, while also portrait-normal for iPhone/iPod users.