iPhone Babel Rising 3D - Ubisoft / Mando

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Michel_Mando, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Michel_Mando

Michel_Mando Member

Jun 1, 2012
    #1 Michel_Mando, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    Hi All,

I am also posting in this section as the game is iPad optimized (taking namely into account the hardware differences between iPads 1, 2 and 3).

Let me briefly introduce myself : I’m Michel, co-founder of Mando Productions, the studio behind “Babel Rising 3D”. The title will be launched soon by Ubisoft, and we wanted to open this thread to tell how the game was developed, and also answer your questions (and please also forgive me for my English... it's not my mother tongue).

It all started two years ago with the original IOS Babel Rising game, in 2D.The idea was to play God and stop the humans in their attempt in building the Tower of Babel, using divine powers such as tornadoes, tsunamis or earthquakes.

[​IMG]

We were lucky as the game did quite well. We had then the wish to go further in terms of gameplay and we started thinking on how we could increase the player’s experience. Through brainstorming sessions came out the idea of having a 3D version of the game, allowing the player to rotate around the tower and thus adding a strategic layer to the “arcade / action” principle.

We started to make some mock-ups of what the players view would be.

[​IMG]

This also gave us the idea of different buildings from which the workers would exit, as well as the idea of the harbor where construction stones would arrive.

[​IMG]

While working on this view, we realized that the game was giving too much importance to the strategy side and that the basic fun should remain simple as “get rid of these pesky humans and unleash your Mighty Powers on them”. So we adjusted the view and namely decided that humans should be bigger. As a consequence, the style that was already “cartoony” evolved even more in this direction, as the proportions between humans and buildings became more unrealistic.

[​IMG]

The design of the “main” tower also evolved and we abandoned the idea of a square basis, to be more close from our initial “Brueghel inspired” idea.

[​IMG]

At this stage, the core design was nearly finalized. We decided to develop a 3D playable prototype and… showed it to Ubisoft who said “yes” . Since the decision was taken to move further and develop the game, only adjustments were made. Some major and some minor. Within the main evolutions was namely the decision to add new towers and also specific units such as the Priests or the Siege Towers.

[​IMG]

The game’s nearly there now, as the release is planned in two weeks. We keep fingers crossed at Mando, hoping that the game will please.

Update 1 :
    There are several different towers within the game. Here are the foundations of the third tower - the Gardens of Babylon...

[​IMG]

2. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Looks good Michael, bring it on)

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I expect this will please a lot of people, myself included. Here's hoping it manages to release soon as planned.

4. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    This lol:D:D:D

5. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    This looks great - and thank you for posting a fascinating account of how the game developed!

Looking forward to this being released and good luck with it!

6. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Looks very detailed...Intasbuy for me

7. master lee

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    I mean I'm also looking forward to this game:)

8. Michel_Mando

Michel_Mando Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Tower 2

A new screen shot, showing a little more action, this time...

[​IMG]

Only 4 days remaining before you can play it and see by yourself... Hope you'll enjoy !

9. master lee

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Awesome News!!!!!

10. Michel_Mando

Michel_Mando Member

Jun 1, 2012
    The ultimate Power

In Babel Rising 3D, there are four different Ultimate Power, each of them corresponding to a specific Element - Water, Fire, Wind or Earth.

These powerful weapons are not always available... To load them, you have to kill a lot of babylonians using a specific element - i.e. the kills done with the two basic powers of a given Element load the corresponding Ultimate Power.

Then when it's ready, it's up to you to unleash your maximum power... here's a sample of the Ultimate Power of wind : the Sand Storm.

[​IMG]

11. Michel_Mando

Michel_Mando Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Only one day left before launch. Here's the official Teaser, with real game footage from the IOS version.
    http://youtu.be/JUwSDCqq1AI

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

So the other versions of this game are being panned. HEAVILY, mostly due to the control scheme.

How does this address that? I'd really like to look at this, but if it's as bad as or not improved from the console versions, then it's not looking good.

13. erose68

erose68 Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Control Scheme

I find that the "line drawing attacks" fail about half the time; they trigger off the finger which is used to "hold" the camera, instead of on the finger which is swiping on the screen to draw the attack line. Does anyone else have this problem? How can you clearly indicate which finger is the "hold" and which is the "attack"?

14. Michel_Mando

Michel_Mando Member

Jun 1, 2012
    As the game is now released, I opened a new thread in the "iPad games" section. Feel free to ask us questions on the development, and we'll do our best to answer them.