Universal Rivals for Catan - (by USM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    New update just hit:

What's New in Version 1.0.1

- Fixed Yule event card
    - Updated localization display
    - Updated tutorial links
    - Updated AI tactics
    - Smaller tweaks and optimizations

Doesn't add the icons to the cards, however, and the game still crashes if you quit to the menu and continue, so the major issues are pretty much still there for now.

2. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    i have my doubts we'll see this.

doesn't happen to me so may be hard to trace.

3. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's the game's biggest flaw at the moment, so as long as people remember to send feedback, it's not entirely impossible that they'll add it in.

It's happening to many, many people on a consistent basis, and the game prompts you to send an automatic crash report when you restart the game, so it should be taken care of.

Try this:

Start a new basic game, and as soon as the AI starts drawing cards from the stack, quit to the main menu (not just leave the app and close it) while the animation is playing. Try to continue the game, and it should crash. This happens often if you quit while the game is doing something, or expecting you to complete an action in progress.

4. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    well, in the interim stop doing this! :D common sense tells me the safest time to interact with anything is once it's idle.

5. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That doesn't matter. The game shouldn't crash any time you happen to leave the game while in a dialogue box or watching an animation; this doesn't happen with any other iOS boardgame, and shouldn't happen here.

The game crashes upon resumption even if you quit while the game is just asking you to choose a resource or make a decision based on a played card; basically, if you leave the game while doing anything other than sitting at the very beginning of your turn, it'll have issues when you try to continue, which is unacceptable.

6. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    whatever. i could say the earth was round and you'd argue the point.

7. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not really, but if you say stupid things, you can expect to be called out on them.

It's an oblate spheroid, incidentally.

8. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    whatever you say shallow hole made by a pointed instrument.

9. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I am concerned that, as a newbie to the game entirely (I bought and never played Settlers because I felt the game was really awkwardly designed, and there is a weird bug that screws up the tutorial on retina devices) I will never find my proper footing and it I'll be wasting the money.

USM has a terrible track record....

Exactly, USM takes disappointing us very seriously!

As to eclipse, I think you are in the minority there. I had no experience prior to jumping in and while I was initially confused, it's one of the best games I've ever played. I still am amazed at how they can fit everything in...

Sigh. Dude, it has been commented on multiple times in this thread that leaving the app or game causes it to crash upon continuing. I don't know about your life, but for the majority of us we have to pause games to go off and do other things.

The Lord Gek himself confirmed that he stopped mid game "normally" and went back in which caused the crash.

Why must you be so antagonistic? Lets with the happy.

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I've had situations where it didn't crash, but the majority did crash on return.

Sadly, that's not the main problem, but some nasty freezes halfway through some games, namely multiplayer. I've had it freeze on me so far on the two multiplayer games I tried, one when exchanging a card, and another when one of us had the toll bridge, 3 golds already, and a fruitful event came up.

It seems the game could have benefitted from much more beta testing, sadly.

11. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The game has been updated, but unfortunately USM's solution to the crashing problem was not to actually resolve the underlying issue that caused this in the first place, but simply to change the usual crashes on reload to a dialogue box stating "Error: Unfortunately the savegame could not be loaded." The game still abruptly drops dead occasionally anyway. :p

The cards haven't had the symbols added to them either, so this update really hasn't improved the situation.

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: Looks like another patch out lately.

Query: Has this improved to be more playable, now?

13. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The cards in your hand have been updated to include the missing cost symbols, but not the reward symbols, and they don't display either set once they've been played. The resource cards on the table now have their symbols too. However, there's a consistent bug where the game appears to think you have your opponent's card tray (it's their colour), which means that the cost symbols don't show up when you draw cards from the deck, and won't appear until after you've actually played the next card. :p

The game still also gives the "can't load saved game" bug if you quit while making a decision.

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Elaboration: so this is pretty much still broken then.

15. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    I have managed to complete a few games with the new version, which is something I never managed with the previous version. I haven't had a single crash this time round. I have encountered the "can't load save game" issue which is still really annoying.

Overall, I am enjoying the game; IMHO it's much improved but still needs more work.

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Correction: I would keep waiting for the game to get proper fixes then

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Another price drop to US$1.99 is noted. Since there has yet to have a fix, I guess I am keeping my money in the pocket for now.

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I read from BGG that the latest fix is out there. Has this patch fixed the crash and other issues? Thoughts?

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    This has dropped to $1. But the question is, does it work on iOS 9 and 6+? Don't mind the low amount but I don't really want to condone a price drop on a non working app if it is.

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: thanks to the generous refund policy, I am giving it a shot

Elaboration: starting the tutorial on iPad Mini 2 with latest production iOS version. Seems fine...

Conclusion: looks like it is safe for consumption.