MOXIE 2: Coming soon with 50% more Moxie!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by blue ox, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    #1 blue ox, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    The original Moxie is a unique and very popular word game for the iTouch platform. Development on Moxie 2 is now underway, full steam ahead!

Here's an Alpha version screenshot. I will be providing more details about the game in the upcoming days. Feel free to ask questions.

[​IMG]

Share and enjoy,

2. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    The skinny:

Moxie 2 is a unique cross between Solitaire, Scabble, and Upwords. You earn points by replacing letters to transform words into new words.

Share and enjoy,

3. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    #3 blue ox, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Cool Moxie Fact:

Over 4,000,000 games of the original Moxie have been played to date!

Share and enjoy,

4. uczmeg

uczmeg Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Can we have some clues on how this will differ.

Without that info it looks like more like a v1.5 really.

Can understand the need to release anew version financially though! Can we have a mode where you have no Moxie words please?

5. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi uczmeg,

There are going to be quite a few differences in Moxie 2. Here are some of the major differences:

• 6-letter words (instead of just 5)
    • new double-Moxie mode with twice as many letters
    • new "free play" mode to play endlessly
    • games will optionally start with "seed words"
    • landscape screen orientation
    • quick access to Moxe words screen
    • new screen to keep track of what letters have been used
    • much requested UNDO feature!
    • more moxie words
    • plus more

And yes, there will be an option to play without any Moxie words.

Thanks for asking and please help spread the word about Moxie 2!

Share and enjoy,

6. Unc1eBuck

Unc1eBuck New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Moxie 2

I had contacted the developer about adding facebook integration. I don't see that listed here, but I hope it gets in. I'm sick and tired to see everyone's Farmville posts (on facebook), time for me to get even by annoying them with a bunch of Moxie posts!! :D

7. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Here's a preliminary idea I'm considering for the icon. It looks pretty kewl on the actual device. What do you think?

[​IMG]

8. uczmeg

uczmeg Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Why not do a screenshot of your phone and show the icon on there?

As it stands I'm not 100% convinced by the cut-off look of the letters...

9. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    OK, here it is...

[​IMG]

10. ddcook

ddcook New Member

Dec 21, 2009
    I agree that the logo is good, but looks a bit chopped off on the side

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not a fan of the new logo. The logo for Moxie is wonderful with the icon border and the M standing out more.

I'd also prefer the next letter be shown on the left of the screen moving everything over to the right. Since I'm right handed my thumb would be hovering over my score and the letters in queue.

Also the top border seems like wasted space. On the far right you could have the Battery and Time indicators if you are planning on not displaying the status bar like you do in Moxie 1.

12. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. The chopped off look was intentional. I'd love to hear more opinions on this...

Share and enjoy,

13. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Putting the next letter to be used on the left was something that I never really considered. I'd love to get more opinions from folks who play Moxie regularly.

The battery and time indicators are going to be at the top of the screen just like they are in the original Moxie. I just chopped them off for the picture.

Share and enjoy,

14. stinky ox

stinky ox Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Coding
    Wales
    This is a very cool game. Although I am an action game person most of the games I play regularly on iphone are word games since the controls don't suck and they fit the platform well. Got your usual Scrabble, Boggle etc and I like this one because it really is a bit different to all the others.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a version 2. Some ideas I've had whilst playing are:

- ability to use a turn to swap a pair of letters
    - ability to use a turn to shift a block of letters on one line left or right
    - ability to use a turn to zap an unwanted letter

The only other thing I'd suggest is a bit more corporate branding. You're called Blue Ox so you've got the opportunity for some memorable iconography right there from the outset. I'd want to see an ox when the app launches, possibly another on the main menu screen - as it is the first URL I see isn't even Blue Ox's page but a specific page for the game. In fact you have to dig around a bit to even find the name Blue Ox.

This is a good and original game so I think it'd do you some good to associate your company quite strongly with it, so when in future releases people saw an ox logo they would think "great, it's by the same guys who made that cool word game I liked" :). All it'd take would be a good ox-based logo strategically placed :).

Anyway good luck with this and the upcoming version 2, and greetings from a fellow ox enthusiast :).

15. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Any chance for OpenFeint support so there could be achievements added? Would add some more goals other than just trying to get a really high score.

16. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming release of Moxie 2. Your gameplay suggestions are really cool and I'll keep them in mind.

I'll share an interesting phenomenon I've discovered in building Moxie 2. I've tried implementing several new "controls" or "abilities" in the game and it seems that they often just make the game more confusing or inaccessible. My whole design philosophy with the game was (1) simple (2) simple (3) ergonomic (4) simple. Many times adding complexity to the game just ruins the fun.

It's really strange how that works. For instance at the top of this thread I said that on of the new features would be an "endless" game play mode. Moxie-freeplay, if you will. I've implemented that feature, and I'm probably going to remove it from the game, because it just isn't fun. Another example is making the game twice as long (double-Moxie), which I said I was going to implement...it just just doesn't feel right, so that one might not make it in either.

However the "seed words" feature which starts each game with words already on the screen DOES seem to work. It will not be for everybody, so there will be an option to start with the game board blank, but this feature WILL be in Moxie 2.

It's been quite interesting trying to improve this game. But I'm trying to keep in mind: "don't fix what's not broken".

17. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi,

Achievements are planned for Moxie 2. They won't be in the first release and they won't be through OpenFeint, but they're coming.

18. stinky ox

stinky ox Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Coding
    Wales
    Yeah, you're absolutely right - suggestions are all well and good and can be interesting to hear but in the end if things don't feel right in-game then they shouldn't be there :). It's your design and ultimately only you can know what's right for the game, and it's true that it's largely a matter of feel. I've tossed things out of my own games that I know should have been promising or interesting but which in the end just felt wrong.

Having a good feel for what's right and what's not is largely what makes a good designer :).

Simplicity is always an excellent goal too. I've made the mistake before of making games full of "clever" stuff that most people never actually got around to finding.

Really looking forward to seeing your refinements in version 2 :).

19. Daddy_dd

Daddy_dd New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Hey Blue Ox,

Just discovered Moxie and love it. Everytime I put it down my partner picks it up and plays.

I love some of the suggestions for Moxie2 except the endless game and the double lenghth, i think those two would make me give up. The undo button is a good idea but maybe it should be for the last move only as many times i have put the letter in the wrong square.

I have a couple of suggestions of my own and these are, a secret set of Moxie words that we can't see, perhaps FOOD:D my contribution to that list would be, soup, rice, pasta, sushi, butter.

Can't wait to try M2.

20. summerset

summerset New Member

Q plus U

I play Moxie every single day that I've owned it (about 6 mos) and I have often wished that the Q and the U were paired in one letter tile. Is that something you have considered doing? I can see it limiting some non-U words, but not that many.
    Any thoughts?