Appeal for multi-device gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sierra275, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Now that the iPad's been announced, I presume that it means something for gamers. Obviously, a lot of gamers will be moving their games over to the iPad. But as it is now, game progress can't be transferred automatically via itunes between devices, like I can't have Hook Champ on my iTouch and iPhone, unlock a certain item on my iTouch, and then sync to my iPhone, and have my game the same. Hence, I appeal to the developers out there to update your games with a system whereby game progress can be carried over between devices. I think it's best if developers came up with a way to carry over game progress from device to device. I'd imagine that you could create an account online on their servers, which would store your game progress. That way, if you switch to another device, you'd just have to log in and all your progress would stay. Just program the servers to store data like scores, money (if it's that type of game) unlockables, stats, etc, and then let the game itself interpret the data and produce the same game state as on the previous device.

This addition to the iDevices is a bigger one that the iPhone and iTouch, where many users had one or the other. Now, with two devices in different categories being able to play the same game, there'll be many more people with two iDevices, and they'll want to be able to synchronize game progress between them. Often times, I'll play my iTouch when it's inconvenient to use an iPad, but at others, I'll be using my iPad when my iTouch runs out of battery, etc. So really, we need this feature. Please talk to your favorite devs and ask them to implement these features.

2. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    what the real problem is developers will have a lot of work
    too many different devices to support
    there's iPhone 2g/3g and IPT 1g
    and there's IPT 2G,IPT 3g and iPhone 3gs
    now iPad will be added
    different optimizations are needed in each device
    too many compatibility issues will come
    remember the iPhone 4g is yet to come :D

3. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    yes agree and i am laughing :D cos we were an enemy for PSP and DS till yesterday now we are the enemy of PS3 and Xbox in the future :D:D:D

yes idevice our iPhone & iPod Touch and new family member iPad

apple games are on the way for all idevices :eek:

4. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Thank you for bringing that point to here. I did not realize how cool would it be to play the same game on a HD, comfortable iPad version at home, and then continue its progression on a simplified version on iPhone in transports.

Therefore profile transfer is an excellent idea.
    Dev wise, it's not really a problem, as there just need to be a stocking server on which you would sync.

5. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    I realize there are a lot of platforms now, but it doesn't really matter. All the servers would need to do is save important information, like game stats and all, and replicate them in the new device. I mean, if NFS Shift will run on both the iTouch/iPhone and the iPad, then the cars that you unlock don't make much of a difference to performance.

Haha thanks. It's great to hear it won't be much of a problem for developers. I just heard in another thread that Openfeint 2.4 is going to be able to transfer save game data online, something called 'network save card'. Anyone have any info on that? Thanks to Steve Oldmeadow for the info.

6. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Tell me about it! I'm dying to sync saved games for Battleheart (absolutely excellent iOS action-RPG, by the way - highly recommended, and a steal for $3) between my iPhone and iPad.

This would be a killer feature for Game Center in, say, iOS 5. I hope Apple is on top on this. They should be, since it makes buying multiple iOS devices even more appealing, and strengthens their overall ecosystem.