Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. nuggetman

nuggetman Member

Jul 3, 2012
    I don't usually play pinball but I just might check this out.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Grabbed Tesla, which is an old favorite.

What's the verdict on the Fantastic Four, Avengers, and Hulk tables? Do any of these feature bizarro mechanics like switching the flippers on the Spidey tables (not a fan of that sort of thing)?

3. Sun Vulcan

Sun Vulcan Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Civil War table announced!

4. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Cool!!! Can't wait!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #445 LordGek, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    Looks fun but, man, we just recently got the Avengers table and next thing you know Hulk goes rogue and now Iron Man and Captain America are fighting it out...crap, I guess it isn't easy keeping a team together.

6. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Anyone have screen shots of the new tables? :)

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Enh, here's about the third best thing (falling under a video or screenshots of the iOS version), here are videos of the console versions:

World War Hulk

I can personally testify that, at least on my iPad 3 they look pretty darned identical to what was shown above.

8. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I've been getting into ios pinball games lately, and have dled and tried both this and Pinball Arcade. It seems like a lot of people online think Zen plays better, but so far I can't understand why. To me, it seems like the ball in this lacks any kind of real weight and moves much too fast. The Pinball Arcade tables seem to feel must more realistic. Am I crazy? I'm no pinball expert, but I do remember playing lots of Funhouse as a kid.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    As I stated just a few posts back, I prefer Pinball Arcade for the most part but it seems that every other update massively breaks the game (like now on some tables it will jump into multiball for no apparent reason and then, just as quirkily, not recognize that all balls have drained by remaining focused on the playfield and not sending out the next ball). Zen Pinball, on the other hand, rarely has a botched update. I also like, since they're not based on any REAL tables, they can add bizarre surreal elements like comic book characters actually jumping onto the table to grab the ball!

10. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Yeah, I've been getting those bugs with PA as well. By the way, what is considered to be the best Zen pinball table? I've played with the free one for a bit, but it hasn't really hooked me.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I guess a better way to answer that is with another question, what do you like in your pinball tables? I know I personally like the ones with a lot of drop targets and special modes.

While I just went on about how Zen does a great job with the surreal aspects of their tables, I didn't care for that default table as it had a lot of special little puzzles and crap that were too far from traditional pinball stuff and not at all fun for me.

Just going off the top of my head, I think the Captain America one was pretty cool.

12. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    To be honest, I'm not really experienced enough with pinball to know what I like yet. In Pinball Arcade, I've spent the most time playing Arabian Nights and Cirqus Voltaire, with a decent amount of Funhouse sprinkled in from time to time.

13. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Actually I really like the free table on ZenP, its obe of my favorites. My favorie of the bunch is Epic Quest and the new Tesla table is good too. Of the uperhero ones I prefer the Avengers one because you can select different balls representing each avenger and they have distinctive propierties.

On pinball Arcade I love Black Hole and Ripleys the most, but for the best of the best on pinball physics I would go to either Little Wings tables or Pinball Gladiators.

14. Sun Vulcan

Sep 12, 2011
    Paranormal, Blade and Ghost Rider coming soon.

15. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

#455 CzarCastic, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Update out now!

Edit: Despite what the app description says, Civil War is also available now, too, so 4 tables in total! Tables are $1.99 each (except Paranormal which is $0.99).

16. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    #456 reec0X, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    There is a minor bug on Paranormal table ---- 'Captain America table on a startup screen' before gameplay start. :(

17. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    It is insane just how many tables are available now. 14! Wow.

18. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Really enjoying iOS pinball at the moment, and somehow only just stumbled on this game.

Just wondering what are the best 3 tables to buy first? I like the look of Epic Quest, and have loved the Hulk since I was a kid, but there is literally too much choice.

Any advice is really appreciated guys.

Cheers :)

19. Sun Vulcan

Sep 12, 2011
    X-men table available!

20. DBrown519

DBrown519 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Environmental, Health, and Safety Fields
    Fullerton (Orange County), CA
    Anyone have their favorite table on Zen Pinball? I'm thinking of picking a few up. My name on Game Center is LexusTexas.