Looking for some honesty. Has this game been criminally overlooked?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by feedtank, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    It's not quite demo/lite though... The full game is within and unlockable. I'm not sure there is an ideal solution :-/

2. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You make me laugh sometimes.

3. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Downloaded it, played it for five minutes, removed it. Here's why:
    - it's basically (mini)golf with gravity. There are tons of games like this, Super Stickman Golf being my favorite (that's a two-year old game though).
    - the control scheme, while innovative (sort of... I remember a Nintendo DS game with the same idea, but you could also move the "paddle" by moving your fingers while the ball was moving) is unwieldy and imprecise
    - there's no way you can easily improve upon your first attempt (marking the fingers placement of your previous attempt would definitely improve this - especially as this is a game that requires you to try over and over again in order to progress)
    - the graphics are cute but generic, it lacks soul (please make me care about your game; the easiest way is IMHO by making me smile with funny animations)

To sum it up: it's a cute generic physics puzzler with nothing to write home (or in a review...) about. IMHO you have two choices in today's market:
    a. make something as original as you can, hoping people will notice and like you
    b. make something with a well-defined niche target audience (RPG fans, wargame fans, flight simulator fans, etc)

Good luck!

4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
  5. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    :)

Happy to brighten your day! But don't just laugh. Propose the ideal solution.

What you're proposing is that a game be titled demo permanently - even if/when you unlock it, the game title would remain demo. How is that better than a normally-titled game which offers you a certain portion for free free until a pay wall?

6. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    Holy crap. Congrats feedtank! You got featured on The Unoffical Apple Weblog!

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/01/18/daily-iphone-app-pangolin-bounces-its-way-through-your-custom-m/

7. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    There's really no way to be assured that you'll stand out from the pack in such an abundant genre.

Not a bad game, but I have to wonder sometimes with games like this whether the developers really are making a game in their favorite genre or if they're trying to get in on a popular smartphone genre. You sort of get what you asked for.

8. feedtank

feedtank Well-Known Member

Well, I can answer your question for this game. I do like physics puzzlers.

9. feedtank

feedtank Well-Known Member

#49 feedtank, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    I don't think it's possible to say Pangolin has been overlooked anymore. Since this was posted Pangolin has been reviewed on Pocket Gamer, TUAW, Cult of Mac, and is New and Noteworthy in 40 countries. We were also nominated for best Mobile Arcade game on JIG.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's feedback, both the good and the bad. We're definitely considering making some significant changes in coming updates.

10. MechLife

MechLife Member

Jan 17, 2013
    It looks like a fun game!
    I'll check it out

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't know about criminally overlooked, but some of the comments in this thread are criminally arrogant. The art of respectful debate is dead.

As for the game... I didn't download it. I can't stand having to 2x games on my iPad, but had it been universal a physics puzzler would be right up my street. The gameplay looks similar to Drag It though, so it would have been in direct competition with that in terms of how I'd rate the game.