Premium ports Vs a console game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pocketnova, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Ok, I was looking at some console games (just for fun, I don't have a console) and most if not all (of the ones I looked at) were $60. Now I thought about the amount of iOS games you could get for that price, but unlike the normal fair, these at GOOD (IMO) premium games at a more premium price.

Here's the list of the first few I thought of.

KOTOR: $10
    XCOM: $20
    Battle Academy: $10 (sale price that I got it at)
    Frozen Synapse: $7
    Warhammer Quest: $5
    Total: $52 dollars

All but one of those (WHQ) are PC/Console ports. Now I know a game like Skyrim etc. might offer more entertainment, but I think the amount of good games for the price of one console game is damn good!

Bring on more ports!!!!!! :D

2. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    #2 Farfield, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Max Payne it's an awesome port and the controls are excellent. I'm on my way to beat the game on Dead on Arrival I'm on the half of Chapter 3 :)

Also, I'm not sure, but I think Bastion and The Walking Dead are ports, but as I said, I'm not really sure.

On 2010, Gameloft released Prince of Persia: Within Warrior, as a PS2 port. Was the best game from Gameloft (the only one I really like:p)

And there is the Final Fantasy ports, but I'm not sure if you're looking for NDS ports.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup Bastion and Walking Dead are great ports.

I want to throw in the following great ports too:

Phoenix Wright Trilogy
    The Bard's Tale
    Ghost Trick
    Liberation Maiden
    Tales of Monkey Island
    Back to the Future
    Rage of the Gladiator (i think this is a port)

4. There are the 3 GTA games (Chinatown Wars, III, Vice City)...they are great ports

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love the ports. Great value and I can have them with me at all times. Difficult to play on an Xbox in a train, tube (subway for americans ;) por on a plane

6. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Those games aren't $60 on on consoles, unless there is something seriously screwy about console game pricing in the US.
    Currently in the UK I can buy XCOM for £13.99 for an inferior port on iOS (well, the port is good quality, I think it's great that they've ported it, but it's inferior when compared to the console versions) or £16.99 for the PS3 version, or free on PS+. The port does look overpriced to me.

KOTOR - $60? lol. It might have cost that new, years ago - but it's not a new game. $10 is a fair price for that, on iOS or a second hand copy.

Frozen Synapse - I just looked at their website, it's less than $40.

Never heard of Battle Academy.

Warhammer Quest - that one is far far cheaper on iOS than the physical version, even if it does have less features.

Topics like this are nonsensical. You can't say "it's £13.99 now on iOS, but if you went back in time you'd have to pay £40 for it for PS3!" - it's not relevant how much it might have cost in the past, it's relevant how much it costs now. And if you talking about old games, you can just buy old games for your games console for much less than £40 - I don't think I've ever payed more than £30 for a console game in my life, excluding FF games. Looking at the PS3 games I have, most were £20 or two for £30 - still more expensive than iOS games though.

And you can't play PS3 games in bed, on the toilet, or the train, or at work, so iOS games do have a lot of benefits. But I still wouldn't pay £13.99 for the privilege of being able to play on the toilet when I could get ("rent") a better version of the same game on the PS3 for less than that.

7. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I think you may have not understood my post. I never intentionally said that any of those games had ever, at any time, been $60. I know all console are not that price. The point of my post was pointing out that a new console game could be that much, and for the amount of ports you could get on iOS, was a neat deal.

You made a lot of good points in your post, just missed the point by a bit.

8. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Yup he didn't understood your post clearly..

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    You can get multiple console game for the price of one newly released console game too. I really really don't think it's as good a deal as you do - I think Xcom's too expensive, and the others are fairly priced rather than cheap.
    But it is good that they are porting them, and these games do deserve a premium price.

10. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    TWEWY is an awesome port from NDS too.

11. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree with this one.
    but i'm a little tired with games now, i feel nothing new and exciting but repetive.
    maybe this generation console is way too old. may ps4/xbox one could change the situation, but i doubt that and would keep an eye on that.
    recently the game cost most of my gaming time is league of legends, still repetive though.