Surf Prodigy 1.2 Beta questions

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Psychopsam, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Psychopsam

Psychopsam Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I have a few questions for those interested in my game.

1. What view would you prefer the barrel from? Looking at the surfer as you see in magazines or from over the shoulder looking out?

2. Waves - Would being able to pull off the back of the wave be of interest to you, which would mean you go and paddle for a new wave?

Erm... that's all for now.

2. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    Aww c'mon guys and gals. Don't be shy - feedback is welcome.

3. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Definately from the shoulder.

Yes, definately.

4. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    I agree with Jarek on both counts, the second option would also give your game something unique to differentiate it from other surfing apps.

5. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    #5 Psychopsam, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks guys - noted. Screenshots coming soon.

1. Actually something else about getting off the wave, would you expect it to be automatic? Currently the way the detection works, if you go over the crest of the wave you fall off the back, which means you have to time aerials to jump just before this point - poor timing might mean a lot of players flick off the wave when they meant to just do an aerial.

Should flicking off be a button press, or just leave it up to the player to time it right?

2. Another thing I was thinking of doing was adding something that happens in real life. When you look at a wave approaching you, because of the density of water etc you can't see through it to the horizon, so in the game from this angle it would be opaque. But when you stand up on the board and look down IRL you can see the reef and sand rushing below through the water. I noticed Kelly Slater PS2 does this.

I am going to add this effect (even though the iPhone struggles with too many effects) so it will trigger the transparency of the wave depending on the angle you are looking at the water - should add another layer to add to the sensation of speed.

6. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Rather yes. It would make Your game more diffucult, the same more interesting. It's always more attractive to play more and harder, but have satisfaction of mastering the game.

Such effect would be absoluvely cool. Partially transparent water and reef, sand, fish visible through - great idea.
    The sansation of speed You can achieve not via adding additional layer on the water under, but with layer added to the space around player - f.e. blured lines on the curves (edges) if the player character, possibly enviromental gaussian blur round the screen edges.

7. Jones94

Jones94 Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Go to school
    Hamburg
    what`s with first person style? this would be great

8. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    No first person style, that way you wouldn't feel as if you have control over the surfer. About the timing issue, leave it as it is right now.

9. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    To summise...

What you want for the grab rail is over the shoulder-cam.

What you want for the flick-off is to press a button to make a positive action to leave the wave?

Was the first-person idea for inside the barrel? Perhaps I should have a first person cam as an option, with a camera icon to flick back if you don't like it.

10. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Yes, good idea.
    More options always make game more customizable, so also the more interesting.

I am looking forward to see some screenshots soon.

11. CrossoverCase

CrossoverCase New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I completed your game and I think you should add in some bigger waves from Jaws or Pipeline
    I also think you should add bodyboarding to the game or make it a whole nother app. first person bodyboarding would be pretty meann :D

12. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    #12 Psychopsam, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    @CrossoverCase - thanks for that - all good ideas. I think it should really go into a new app. I need to wrap this one up first. I would like to add a Teahupoo style wave as well in the new version (not official) :)

So here a vid for y'alls. It shows a couple of things I was talking about in this thread.

But first, a disclaimer: There is a stray particle spray stuck on the wave which will be removed for the release, and the surfer will be getting a texture upgrade. Also the wave shoulder will be shortened, and the environment will get an upgrade...

Features shown:
    1) 3rd person reverse angle camera while in barrel doing rail grab. Notice the surfer sprays up water when his hand dips into the wave. What do you think of this angle? Most people have suggested over-the-shoulder but I wanted you to see the other angle to see if you think it might work better.

2) New over the shoulder cam on the surfer when not in rail grab - a large departure from the original view - now you wont get the controls confused, and way more dramatic to look at.

3) Suction keeps the player near the barrel now (and can be sucked in) , more like real surfing.

4) When you look toward the beach you can now see the coral under the water - the transparency of the water varies based on your viewpoint - more like real life.

5) Jumping is now enabled.

6) Speed gauge added, bottom left so you can understand where on the wave you need to be for speed.

7) Extra particles added for the trail/wake behind the surfer.

8) Accurate collision detection of the wave face.

BTW - no shadow for iPhone sorry - this is running on a PC for the demo.

13. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Game is looking great.
    When can we expect relase date? And will there be LITE version?

14. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    I expect to finish the changes using the new features within 5 days (xmas will blow things out a bit).

I'm really trying to get this done asap.

Yes I would like to do a lite version, I think it will be in the location of the videos with some moves, and a 2 minute wave. Sound fair?

15. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Sounds good. I think it's enough to check game features out.

16. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    Did anyone have any comments on the rail cam?

17. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    Okay here's what left to do before I submit the update
    - Make it possible to drop the sponsor if you surf poorly
    - detect the wave lip cascading (rather than in one piece) so you get struck by the wave accurately
    - wire up the sound effects to button presses
    - tweak the jump
    - tweak the camera for all edge cases.

Not long now

There are other changes to go in, but this will do for the 1.2 update.

18. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Looks pretty interesting! I liked Transworld Surf on the XBox, and your camera setup is somewhat similar.

19. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Looks really nice! However you might want to consider downsizing the buttons a little bit as the screen seems kind of cluttered

20. Psychopsam

Jul 27, 2009
    #20 Psychopsam, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Yeah I really liked Transworld surf, especially being about to go to another break in the bay via jet ski.

@Will090 - never crossed my mind - but I will do that thanks.