Vampire Origins: New Screenshots and Updated Video

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by theone1007, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Totally agree. They can't use the same sale method they used with iDracula. This gimmick didn't even work with iDracula as you can see it dropped surprisingly fast from the Top 100 Chart. Even with the 0.99 price tag, it hovers at around #80.

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well, I'd say it was the pricing strategy and the backlash from people expecting a full game and got an arena shooter with an update that took long in coming (what did they expect for 99 cents?)

Ah well, looks like Vampire Origin gets the top row front springboard page, next to iDracula, Zenonia, Real Racing and Fieldrunners. Hope there's different combos you can do.

3. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    This looks absolutely amazing, any idea on price point and control scheme yet?

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    New pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #25 inferi22, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    o-m-s-ff-it-new term that only i no the meaning of

6. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    anyone notice that its the same hero from iDracula?

7. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    not really thet are just both based on van helsing- watch that movie and youll see that this guy looks more like him. omsffit

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Actually, in the original book, Van Helsing is an old man. That (horrible, horrible, horrible) movie made him look like a super hero.

I snapped this picture with my iPhone just now from an edition of the book I have. This is Edward Gorey's depiction of Van Helsing:

[​IMG]
    Not really an action hero if you ask me.

9. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    they should make the guy in the game to be that old man to be more acurate.
    OMSFFIT®-the guy in the movie just was the default idea of a vamp hunter

10. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    I have to say the screen shots look really good, but I'm really on the fence believing that is on an iphone. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge supporter of iphone and believe the gaming device is and can achieve great things in terms of graphics and fun games. Those screens just look to good and we haven't seen anything come close to those kinds of detailed lighting effects. Look at Assassins Creed that is due next week those screens look great, but nothing as crisp as these screens we've been shown. I need to see some video of the game in action on the iphone/touch to be made a believer. Just my thoughts on what appears to be a game like devil may cry from the screens, but I'll take a wait and see approach before I get to excited.

11. revenstar

revenstar Active Member

Mar 31, 2009
    WOW Its graphic performance looks much better than the Assassin's Creed iphone version!
    :D

12. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Yes!! Edward Gorey is the man! I have never seen or even heard of this book. What is the title? I currently own "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" which made me a big Gorey fan. Any ways sorry for the off subject, the game looks spectacular, I hope it plays the same way.

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Dracula:p

It's still Bram Stoker's book, but it has illustrations by Gorey. It's actually published by Barnes and Noble. I'm pretty sure they still carry it.

The illustrations were for something else, though. They were his drawings for a play did based on the book. I don't know much else about it.

14. YungAssassin_BHB

YungAssassin_BHB Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    OMG
    This game looks pretty good (Better than good)
    This is awesome

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #35 arta, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    In some screenshots it looks like he has a Zorro moustache. I'd have thought they would have gone for a Clint Eastwood type thing.

16. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I actually saw that play once. The whole set looked like one of his drawings. The coolest version of Dracula, and probably the coolest play, that I've ever seen.

17. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Developer/Student
    inside my iTouch
    This. Looks. Amazing. Totally. Freakin. Amazing. Better than dexter. Hopefully. Devil may cry/van helsing. Omfg. Nuff said.

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    The graphics sure look amazing, but I'm not convinced that these are the actual graphics of the game on an iPhone. The graphics look too good to be true.

19. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    as a developer in 3d, i see 3 things that makes this very unlikely:
    1 - normal mapping (those bumb maps and textures on the ground tiles, rock and stuff)
    2 - specular mapping (tiles again, light doesnt reflect on black, pillars, stone etc)
    3 - awful lot of geometry.

shaders and high poly models isnt something iphone 2g can handle from our experience, and i don't think that even 2gen ipod touch would handle that kind of graphics well... this is pushing it.

For now all i can say is that chillingo is either trying to fire up some debate and anticipation for the release with high quality renderings, or they're aiming at iphone and ipod 3rd gen, disregarding the 1 and 2.

20. revenstar

revenstar Active Member

Mar 31, 2009
    #40 revenstar, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    there is another problem...

these screenshots show no virtual D-pad, I wanna know how it moves.:eek:

by the way, these 3D scene and the light performance make me think of elder scrolls 4
    [​IMG]