Universal Crossword Dungeon (by Nolithius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Fresh idea? Crosswords? Dungeon crawling? Pixel art? User friendly dev? Positive impressions from users?

Hell yes please!

Getting this baby immediately! As soon as I saw the screenshots I knew I wanted it, and the user comments have definitely given me the nudge necessary to get this gem. :)

2. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #22 retr0spective, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    I was wondering what the next RPG Hybrid would be and this is it - Crosswords. I am generally not a fan of crossword puzzles, but this game is a real winner - excellent design, nicely implemented gameplay and sound, and most importantly ... glorious pixels!

3. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    @jamsie07, The game is a survival-style how-low-can-you-go dungeon crawler at this point. I am hoping to add more goal-oriented gameplay with the Game Center integration on an upcoming update.

@Eoghann and @retr0spective, thanks for the support! I did all of the artwork myself (except for the sound/music) and I too am pretty pleased with how it came out. :)

4. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I will bite on stuff like this every time!

5. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Dear Nolithius,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with our community and for keeping us updated on the progress of your game. This type of interaction is one of the most unique and rewarding experiences of Touch Arcade. Your game is already excellent and can only get better as you update it. This situation reminds me of Dungeon Story which had an early but similarly excellent release and the developer continues to refine it while collaborating with the community. Please keep up the excellent work and thank you for your efforts on our behalf.

6. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    #26 Eoghann, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    Question: how does the auto hint work? In some cases, a letter is revealed to me automatically despite not asking for a hint.

Love how you can exit a "level" by completing the green word despite having a few incomplete words. Found that out by mistake. I knew the word but went for the bigger, green ended word and I suddenly finished the level.

Is there a guide on how the perks work? Are they automatic?

Game sometimes crashes when viewing my characters profile.

Great game! 5 star guaranteed from me. :)

7. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'll ask her myself !

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    On tiles where there is no monster it reveals the letter for you.

To complete a level you just have to get to the Green tile and correctly kill the monster there (which reveals the correct letter even if you didn't guess it)

Definitely agree with the 5 stars. I've only been playing for a but but I got to level 19 with the barbarian before kicking the bucket :)

9. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Thanks!

And I've tried all three and definitely the barbarian seems to endure the most.

When I get to higher levels the game crashes. Happens kind of at random though, not a specific level. Good thing it saves my progress! :)

10. Coachflaps

Coachflaps Active Member

May 6, 2009
    USAF
    FL
    Holy balls! I love crossword puzzles AND RPG type games, like puzzle quest, dungeon raid, 10000000, etc. buying it now.

11. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    @retr0spective, when a community is supportive, it is my pleasure to communicate openly. Developers live for this stuff, really; there are just so many sources of negativity out there that we often shy away back into our caves. :)

@Eoghann, thanks for the heads up on the crashes. Are you encountering them upon entering a level or upon opening the Character screen? Also, what device/OS are you running?

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    this looks really neat! two questions though-- do you plan on adding level packs or similar things, and will you make a universal or ipad version?

13. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Lol I always forget about Alaska!!

Loving the game and the dev for being friendly and responsive.

I myself haven't had any crashes yet but the deepest I've got is #19.

One error I noticed though was (and correct me if I'm being stupid!!)

Clue: what comes between cancer and Capricorn? (I'm guessing you mean the star signs)

Answer: £&@" can't remember now!! But it wasn't a star sign it was something beginning with T. (Not Taurus)

Any way in summary great game +1

14. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    #34 Eoghann, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Sometimes it's on the character screen, other times it's in the middle of a dungeon. More often in larger dungeons.

I'm on an iPhone 4 iOS 5.1.

Thanks!

Also. I noticed spelled Sweden with an extra E (Sweeden). :)

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Have a look at page 2 ;)

16. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Awesome, great to hear! It's always nice when a developer is responsive around here. : )

One request: I play a lot at home on my iPad and at work on my phone... Can you support iCloud when you go Universal so my progress syncs?

17. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    @Nolithius, great work. I knew I was gonna like this just from the screenshots, and it didn't disappoint. Keep the updates coming and you'll have a real winner here.

PS is there a tutorial in the game?? I was just kind of thrust into a game and away I went picking letters without much explanation.

18. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #38 SkyMuffin, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    ah, thanks for that!

i picked up this game and i'm really enjoying it so far. I really like how the difficulty is ramping up.

One minor bug I discovered: if you tap on your character portrait twice in quick succession, the game freezes and crashes.

Also, for the "unit of liquid measure" (Liter) clue, you may want to specify American spelling. :)

19. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    That would be "tropical." (which is defined as the region between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, so it makes sense)

I myself was very confused as to why a group of cows would be called a "murder," until I realized it said crows.

As for actual errors, the clue for Constantine is too long and gets truncated.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I I'd the same thing for the murder clue :/ Nice to know it wasn't just me