Universal Junk Jack Retro (By Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this version won't because in order to do so it would require dropping support of older devices which the devs don't wanna do. However the upcoming Junk Jack 2 will support all newer devices :)

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I think the devs spend too much time listening to the "dinosaurs" on the official forums (many were very vocal in their opposition to making a 'JJ2' in the way the devs want if it meant dropping support for 2G touches and similar spec iPhones). The players on there seem very skewed toward an absolutely non-representative sample of iOS gamers. This amount of coddling for such an insignificant player base at the cost of hurting impressions with the much larger player base makes no sense. This is only about losing support for the pre-4G touch, pre-3GS crowd, this is a group of players who haven't updated their device in 3 or more years (with many complaining at the idea of spending another $2.99 on the sequel anyhow). This at the same time many other devs are dropping support for the 4G touch, technically a current device. It just makes no sense to intentionally hamstring their product to keep the sort of player with an obvious allergy to spending money pleased.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I think the developer knows 4g is still active and knows more users have them then the 5th gen so they know where the money is gonna be. On the note of upgrading why spend 300 bucks when next year another product is gonna be out?

4. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Ah I see. Thank you both very much. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a JJ2 then 8). Is there any forecast as to when the release might be?

5. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Updating the game wouldn't drop support for 4G users, though. I don't think even 3rd gen iPod Touches are dropped due to just rebuilding in the new XCode. So if the game already runs on that, it'll continue to run.

And on the note of upgrading, skipping one or two years isn't generally a problem, but holding on to a 1st or second gen iPod Touch and expecting it to still run new releases would be ridiculous.

That's the point he was trying to make.

I never played Junk Jack, though. Maybe when 2 is released I'll pick it up.

6. Maxmc

Maxmc Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Really itching to play this but news of a sequel made it impossible for me to justify buying this version. It really irks me when apps don't have 5th gen display support. The lack of a release date is driving me crazy, is there even an estimate for the month we can expect Junk Jack 2?

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    After recommendations from The Blockheads thread (another customer disappointed by the need to include an artificial gameplay device to drive IAP), this would appear to be a much better use of £1.99 for a fully featured Minecraft derivative crafting game with NO artificial restrictions to drive IAP.

Steep-learning curve? Great! Especially such a feature rich game.

I must resist for a few days, as I have a couple of items on my task list to finish, not to mention, still engrossed by Mass Effect.

8. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    #1748 ramon31, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    Are the developers still going to add new content to this version of the game or are they just going to let it go now and concentrate on junk jack 2?

9. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Based on their comments, for the time being at least, it's JJ2 full steam ahead.

Keep in mind, this game received over a year of content updates, including updating the "christmas" stuff *twice*. There's a TON there for the base price (heck, there's a ton for the money if you bought every single IAP and donated $20 to Pixbits while you were at it). Content wise, it's one of the great bargains on the app store.

Unless you've played the existing version until you're simply sick of everything, you shouldn't be worried about any additional content, and if you are, you should be hoping for the sequel, not more kitchen sinks thrown into an already very busy game. They really shouldn't be pouring more time into this than is necessary to keep it working with iOS updates.

10. SmackDatButt

SmackDatButt Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    This game looks WAY complicated.

Almost intimidating.

11. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #1751 Tannorexic, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    It's surprisingly not. Just punch basically, then build.

I don't believe this version should get regular updates anymore, their main priority should be 2.0 .. The original junk jack got plenty of updates, too many for me to even play. I stopped playing a long time ago but ill always have find memories.. Ill probably play gain when 2.0 comes out. I think the cloning bug ruined it for me.. I used to go around collecting coal and all that jazz, but when the bug happened I couldn't help myself and I cloned a heap of stuff, then I enjoyed the fruits of my no labour and built some awesome stuff, then I never opened the game again. I ruined it and I only have myself to blame. But 2.0 will rekindle my love again.

12. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Not sure how long ago you quit, but you might want to consider giving it a go again if you loved it before. I wound up getting distracted after 1.05 and somehow never got back to it. Then I got myself all excited by the upcoming sequel... then I realized said sequel could be several months off and decided to give the original a go while enduring the wait. With the addition of breeding, farming, a whole top level ore, gem socketing, total revamp to cooking, etc., it might as well be a sequel.

That said, there was no bug, just a lack of personal control. You've been able to duplicate anything you wanted to infinity and beyond from the 1.0 version. The item back up exploit (what I assume you're referring to) just made it even easier and is still there and unlikely to go anywhere for the sequel. If you couldn't control yourself with the power of the sandbox in JJ1, the sequel is really going to test your resolve ;)

It is, after all, a sandbox game.

13. SmackDatButt

Jul 31, 2012
    I heard that the 2.0 version isn't gonna be much different, just more critiqued for the more powerful iDevices and not much more than regular small content updates on those platforms.

14. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Yeah I think it was a backup bug but I forget what exactly you do. If I don't look it up maybe I won't do it. I think I will be able to control myself this time because last time I saw people posting to clone all your stuff before the exploit was fixed and I felt almost rushed into it, then I highly regretted it.
    Now that I know it ruins the game I don't think I'd do that again to myself.

The updates do sound pretty nice..
    Breeding, and farming sound wicked.. I think I do remember cooking, I think you mixed coal with a piece of meat to cool it, so sometime around then..actually I remember collecting a Xmas tree statue too, but I never collected all the statues, must have been not this Xmas, but the last. A

lot can happen in a year so I probably should check it out.
    The screenies look amazing. I'm just scared to start because last time I couldn't stop. I played it non stop..
    Ill try to open her up someday soon though..
    When I don't have anything to do the following day so if I do stay up all night playing the repercussions won't be as bad as last time. The fact that its offline is really good, but I'm looking forward to multiplayer mode, I hope they do it like the game growtopia where everyone can walk around talking and stuff.

15. Cirnol

Cirnol Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I finally got this game!

The help book was so long, that night fell by the time I finished reading. xD

16. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    If by multiplayer, clothing & armor, inventory system on crack, better environment interaction, water, lava, myriad features they've said people have asked for but they couldn't implement without breaking compatibility with 2G touch/3G iPhones, bigger worlds, etc., you mean "not much more than regular small content updates", sure :rolleyes:

Not clear where you're getting your cynic version of the information, but you might want to actually look at what Jack & XsX have posted before downplaying the numerous significant improvements and changes they're making.

17. SmackDatButt

Jul 31, 2012
    Hey, that's just what I heard. But thank you for correcting me.

18. jerzeeshadow

jerzeeshadow Active Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Professional Lunatic
    Twilight Zone
    1.2.4 Valentine Update Is Out!

Okay everyone! Junk Jack 1.2.4 update is live! Check the changelog for specifics:
    http://forum.pixbits.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8
    Though update is small, its still a good one. New Valentine bows & arrows, a cute V-Day chest, and four more statues! :D

19. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somebody should update the thread title.

20. jerzeeshadow

jerzeeshadow Active Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Professional Lunatic
    Twilight Zone
    Thread title updated!

Thank you to New England Gamer for updating this threads title:D