The April 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: QuestLord

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically there to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the TouchArcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great community of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it! As a little incentive, at the end of each month, I will randomly pick one of the participants and send them something small and silly from here in Japan. All you have to do to be eligible is, well, play along with the Play-Along!

As expected, the March Play-Along of Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch proved to be a tough challenge for most. Not only is it longer and more difficult than the previous games we've played together, there were a lot of great new releases in March to play. Still, there was plenty of fun participation in the forum thread, and by all indications, many will continue playing the game even though the month is formally finished. Thanks to all who joined in, and I hope to see you in this month's thread! March's winner of a Small and Silly Prize has been pulled from the ever-temperamental Magic Moogle Hat after giving it a good shake. This month's winner is none other than nkx! I'll be in touch soon through a Private Message to get your mailing address, nkx. To everyone else, a new month brings another chance to win a Small and Silly Thing from Japan!

For the April Play-Along, I figured we would play something a little lighter all-around. Not too light, mind you. I don't want you all to have too much free time! For such an occasion, I think Lava Level's 2013 release QuestLord fits the bill perfectly. This is one of the more approachable first-person dungeon crawlers I've played, and its three distinct character set-ups should provide some variety to help keep the stories interesting and worth sharing. Lava Level is currently working on a sequel to the game, so this might be a good time to revisit QuestLord even if you've already played it before. As was the case in previous months, you'll need to grab the game from the App Store if you don't already own it. Then, either log into or sign up for the TouchArcade forums and come on over here to say hello. You don't need to beat the game to qualify for the random draw, but I would like to see at least one screenshot of your progress at some point, okay?

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #2 RHess00, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Well I dropped the ball on the Lunar play-a-long because I was too distracted by my Switch and Breath of the Wild. I'm going to try again this month though. I've played Questlord before but I don't remember finishing it. Here's Roland the Warrior. Named after a character in Stephen Kings Dark Tower series.

Attached Files:

3. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this cow put in the game as a thank you to the TA member undeadcow for helping with the game?

Attached Files:

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    That is correct, yes. :)

5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Do we know if this is 64bit?

6. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    It is not. I got the "This app might slow down your phone" message when I downloaded it. It's working fine so far though.

7. Gippiboss

Gippiboss Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Hey,

I have never been into these first-Person Dungeon Crawler RPG's ; But I'm in :)

Let's give it a try :)

8. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    Hi. I remember this game too, but don't recall finishing it. I'm in! I will post a screen shot tonight, just re-downloaded. And I also have been pre occupied with the switch and Zelda breath of the wild! Looks like I'm in the right thread with the right people! I think il try elf also, as i usually prefer playing a Spell caster because spells are fun lol. Also, I am happy to hear that part 2 is being worked on, because I really like this style of game, although my favourite type of game is turn based strategy (fire emblem, advance wars, XCOM, etc.

9. PerfectTommy

PerfectTommy Member

Feb 4, 2014
    #9 PerfectTommy, Mar 31, 2017
    Good game and this is a great way to play it again. This I join the Reload Play-Along! I give you F'norr the Big'un! He's a Dwarf of course...

Attached Files:

10. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I think I may get a chance to actually play this one! Woo! Downloading now.

11. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    Won't seem to let me post a screen shot.. anyone know why? Trying to do it from iPhone 7plus 256g.. lets me upload from camera roll, says it's good, but then I hit the button to post and nothing happens .. level 3 elf named Tony, and only took me 15 mins and one death to remember that i need to swipe across enemies to attack #

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    If you're using the app, posting attachments is broken. You'll have to use the website.

Yeah it took me forever to figure out how to talk to people.

13. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I've never played a 1st-person CRPG before or since QL, but wow... this game is such a treat. There's really something different about it.

14. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
  15. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    #15 LavaLevel, Mar 31, 2017
    Fantastic! Oh wow, thanks guys. great timing!

I am following this with great interest! Pretty soon I am going to post in the upcoming games section about QuestLord2! :)

RHess00: yes indeed! He tested early and seemed to really dig it. (Hint, you can gain ability to talk to animals)

sobriquet:Yeah no. I haven't updated QuestLord in ages. It will get a much needed scrubbing and cleaning when QuestLord 2 finally makes it out the door.

16. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    Awesome, il go to website. Thanks!

17. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Found a Life Giver ring. Woohoo! I'm currently trudging through the snow looking for an Ice monster. Wolves are easy to kill but they sure do hit hard!

18. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Decided to pick this up and join in. This will be the first Reload I've participated in that I hadn't played the game several times already (hi, FF1 and Lunar).

Got started this afternoon with Mickey the Dwarf. Haven't played a game like this in a while. My first ever RPG was Might and Magic II when I was about 9 years old, and I spent a lot of time on that series and with other computer RPGs growing up. Lately the only first-person dungeon games I've played have been the Etrian Odyssey series.

I'm currently working my way through the first area, getting used to the controls. Picked them up fairly well, I think, just getting used to checking the map all the time. Not sure how I'll go with my stat build - I'm notoriously indecisive when I get started in a game like this, but I usually end up hyper-focusing on one stat to get me through. We'll see how it goes.

19. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Is that what that means? You get that message when an app isn't 64 bit?

20. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah that's what it means. Apple is trying to force developers to update to 64 bit.