pick-up-and-play or time-invested gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ste2010, Nov 5, 2009.

?

pick-up-and-play or time-invested games?

1. pick-up-and-play

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. time-invested

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. ste2010

ste2010 Member

Oct 17, 2009
    wrexham, UK
    #1 ste2010, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    What do you guys out there mainly play on your iphone/touch?

Pick-up-and-play games e.g. quick puzzle or action games like canabalt or more time invested games, ones where you have to spend time playing in order to progress in the game. Things like mafia wars or beneath a steel sky?

2. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Mecho Wars for time investing.

Wheeler's Treasure, Cliffed for pick up and play.

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    iPod for pick up and play, 360/DS/Ps2 for time invested gaming.

4. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    +1, same here/

5. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Both (there should be an option for both).
    I play different games depending on the situation.
    For example if I am waiting around somewhere for a short time - PU&P games such as Flight Control are perfect.
    Other times I will be away from home without any console/pc and therefore I will play longer, console-like games such as MC: Sandstorm.

6. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I suppose this could depend on the type of game.

It IS possible to make a game that you can pick up and play for 30 seconds at a time and slowly progress throughout the game- which is basically Time Investing.

In general, I have never spent more than 30 minutes at a time on any single iPhone game. Yesterday, I blasted through about 4 different games while waiting for my girlfriend to get out of class- I only had an hour.

7. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

There's easily room for both on my iPhone. My main screen of games seems to have a 50-50 mix of short puzzle games and games that involve an investment of time. I have the device with me all the time and a bit of solitaire to waste 10 minutes is good on sone occasions while a 2 hour binge on Asphalt 5 is good when I really want to game.

I've done the reverse on those as well. There aren't many games on the iPhone where it isn't possible to play in short bursts of time it seems. The mix of these types of games has kept me from touching my DS in at least a year.

8. tmcaffeine

tmcaffeine Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I'll invest a ton of time in to Eliminate if they add an unlimited energy option.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I actually have mostly time-invested games, and I have 213 apps, only 3 being free.

Haha, strange. I go for games by gameloft and longer ones such as zenonia and such.

10. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I prefer pick up and play games. But I would include titles like Spider and Samurai in that category because they're still games that can be played for brief periods of time, and be satisfying. That's not the case with something like Dungeon Hunter. I rarely play iPhone games at home, have consoles for that.

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I mostly like games that are pickupnplay, but I have games that can be both. Flight control for example I can play for 2 minutes or 2 hours (but the longer I play in one sitting the more likely I'll be to mess up :rolleyes:)

For the most part though I don't have any long games like Gameloft's or RPGs.

12. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    I like both. Its nice to have arkaniod and spaceinvaders and such for waitingpurposes etc but a majority of my games are of longtimeplay-type though. The iphone makes everything really simple. Playing games, browsing the net etc. Love it.

13. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I spend more net time on Pick up and Play then time consuming games

14. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    I like a mixture of both.

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Mixture of both here too, I play games like Lion Pride and Boost 3d and I also love games like HoS, Dungeon Hunter, and a new favorite Beneath a Steel Sky (awesome name).

16. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    More pick-up-and-play. Prefer to play 'time-invested' for consoles and computers. :)