Game music or your music?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by foxmulderino, Nov 21, 2011.

1. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    #1 foxmulderino, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    Do you usually put on the music of the game or songs from your list when playing? :confused:
    I use always the game music cause I believe it's the 20-30% of the game itself and playing without original music is like drinking a hot chocolate without sugar!

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Same here. Unless the game has terrible music or no music at all, I usually just go with the game's music.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I never play my own music, never have done on any FPS games or any. Always want the games sound effects or music.

I do play a lot of games without sound (If i've forgotton my headphones), last thing i want to do is be one of those rude idiots on a train where everyone can hear the music from a game though

4. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Depends on the game, wheres my water, greed corps, and some other games. I prefer my own music, helps me concentrate better. But then others like mc3, gof2 etc, then in-game music

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Definitely the game music. I believe it's a huge part of the game. It's not as important as the visuals but not too far behind.

6. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    The game music.

7. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    You all must have a bad taste in music.

I prefer my music.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It has nothing to do with music preference. It's about how the music/sound effects/voice-overs are part of the game.

9. gamerjames22

gamerjames22 Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    love good game music... don't like those public music..

10. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    why this?
    You can always use the game music when playing and your music when...you want to listen it - already said how I consider the game music being part of it; instead, while listening a song, I usually concentrate myself on the singer's voice, on the instruments, on the rythm or simply make my thoughts run!

11. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    There are plenty of games with bad, tacked-on, cheap proprietary music. In those cases I prefer my music, when the game supports its playback. :rolleyes:

Nothing more annoying than a great logic puzzler with 4 irritating bars of music begging for something more substantial to help with the concentration that doesn't support iPod library playback!

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    When I play Pitman, I do both at the same time! ;)

13. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    No music. Podcast

14. DarrylLP

DarrylLP Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Depends on how essential the in-game music is to the atmosphere. For a lot of retro games I'll play the Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game soundtrack. A lot of games have benefit from having that soundtrack.

15. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    No music at all - only the soundeffects.

I just hate when you can't turn the music off, and still keep the soundeffects.