Striking difference of rating between LITE and FULL version

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by the FABRIK, Aug 31, 2009.

1. the FABRIK

the FABRIK Well-Known Member

Hi, :)

As you might or might not know, I'm one of the developers of Lunarcy and Lunarcy LITE.

We are very surprised by the great difference in appreciation between the games.

The current version of Lunarcy shows this as a rating:

3 ★★★★★
    3 ★★★★
    2 ★★★
    1 ★★
    1 ★

The LITE version shows:

3 ★★★★★
    4 ★★★★
    5 ★★★
    3 ★★
    7 ★

The difference is strange and we believe it's hurting the sales a lot. (downloads decreases rappidly)

1. What, do you believe, causes this difference in rating?
    2. Is our LITE version really less in quality than the FULL version?
    3. Is there anything you believe we can do to overcome this?
    Please, if you can, shed a light on this. It is driving us crazy. :eek:

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I think you'll get more negatives on the lite version for a couple of reasons.

1) People might play it and not like it. Those that do like it might buy the full version and rate that one better.

2) When people delete apps, they are prompted for a rating. Since they're deleting the app, I'd be willing to bet those scores will be lower. Also, more people are going to delete the lite version of the app than the full version.

3) People that go straight fo the full version probably aren't downloading and rating the lite version.

When looking at reviews, I look at both the full and lite versions, because as you say, they are often quite different.

I'll go back and post my review/score of the full version on the lite version, and would encourage anyone else who enjoys the game to do the same. Also, I think you can re-rate a game at every version, so if your favorite game gets an update, you can go back in there and rate it again in support.

3. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    It is just because more people download the lite version, and you are more likely to get a spread with the rankings. Since you have a lite version, only the people who liked the lite version will buy the full version. Therefore, the lite version works as a bit of a shield against most bad reviews (obviously, the people who rated the lite version as a 1 will not buy the full version).

There is also a major flaw with the rating process of the App Store. Apple generally only asks you to review an app after you delete it. Who are the people who usually delete an app? The ones who didn't pay for it or like it. This can also contribute.

If you are really worried about it, you should consider removing the lite version. Expect a ratings decrease on the full version though.

4. the FABRIK

So, it's actually a good thing then? :)

5. the FABRIK

Awesome! Thanks! :)

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    No problem - I should have done that when lite version came out.

Sucks that iTunes won't let you copy/paste, I transcribed it to notepad then pasted it in there...

This is a great game, it just as a bit of a learning curve...

7. the FABRIK

Darn, that's a drag. :p Even more appreciation then! :)