Cave Shooter the Sequel (Coming 21/12/11)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by big-boys-gadget-toys, Jul 6, 2011.

1. big-boys-gadget-toys

big-boys-gadget-toys Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
    #1 big-boys-gadget-toys, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    OUT NOW
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cave-shooter-2/id468439814?mt=8&uo=4

hi guys i have now finished development of Cave Shooter 2, 1 wanted to share all new screen shots first here, also was hoping for feedback on how it looks, its a cave flyer game so take that into account.well here it is im quite proud of it.more details to follow soon.
    edit: i have removed old sreen shots here are the new ones below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea of cave shooter 2 is to navigate your ship through different worlds and kill the giant Badrobatans deep within.

You have to avoid contact with the walls and shoot your way through the laser barriers.
    At the end of each level it all a-culminates into a showdown against an evil alien Badrobatan.

highlights:
    32 levels spanning 4 worlds.
    32 unique bosses to defeat.
    Great looking Graphics.
    No 2 levels are alike.
    Unique Cave Flyer GamePlay.
    3 star System across each level.
    Tilt controls or virtual joystick available.
    33 game center achievements and leader boards
    Detailed Player statistics.
    Huge Replay Value.

well guys what do you think hope you like them. please feel free to leave any comments,all previous comments were really helpfull. thanks colyn

edit: (5th dec 2011) hot of the press . Cave Shooter 2 will be released before the end of december.

edit (7th dec 2011) well here goes guys Cave Shooter 2 has been Approved and will be released on the 21st dec 2011.not long to wait now but in the mean time here finally is a game play video. enjoy.all feedback welcome.

http://youtu.be/V0lTvirPVoM

OUT NOW
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cave-shooter-2/id468439814?mt=8&uo=4

2. Goody!

Goody! Active Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Slave to passions
    SF Bay Area
    The backgrounds are pretty but the foreground objects (ship, enemy, so on) are a mix of 2d/3d that seems a little awkward. I'd pick a style, either all flat 2d or something kinda fake 3d perspective like your enemy ship and try to stick with that.

3. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi goody thanks for the advice I will take that on board but I assumed the enemy ship looked flat perhaps I'm too close to the project to see but will def take that on board thanks colyn

4. Goody!

Goody! Active Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Slave to passions
    SF Bay Area
    No prob. I'm trolling this forum obsessively anyways hoping people notice my announcement.

Doing an fake 3d 2d image has it's own host of issues to think about like what does it look like from the top of the screen vs the bottom. For my flowers we went with a kinda tilted view, like attached, but the flowers themselves don't move, the camera does, I think that's how we get away with it.

FlowerA.png

5. JTBentley

JTBentley Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Technical Director @ The Binary Mill
    Gold Coast, Australia
    #5 JTBentley, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    Assault Squadron

Awesome.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Worth game name ever... I keep expecting a follow-up to DeathSmiles.

7. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    #7 big-boys-gadget-toys, Jul 7, 2011
    Hi guys thanks for the comments,ethanks goody will bear that in mind, think your flowers look great personally.

As far as the game goes it's not named yet just using Cave Shooter the sequel as a holder for the time being.

Awesome you say,thanks I appreciate that.

This screen shot Is from a level from the ice world.

The game has you flying your ship down caves trying to escape shooting your way through laser force fields with out crashing into the walls ,dodging enemy fire which collimates in facing the boss for each level. More info soon

8. I actually really like the style to it, but would need to see more screenshots obviously!

9. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks trusmiles more screen shots to follow over the next few weeks.prob post a video at some point too.want to spend a lot of time polishing so it's the best it can be.

10. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    haha totally thought this was like...Espgaluda 3 or something. : }

Still, looks good. Remember the 2 rules of shooters:

1) Controls. CONTROLS!!!!

2) Impressive-looking weapons / varied enemies. (technically 2 separate rules).

Cheers!

11. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    #11 big-boys-gadget-toys, Jul 7, 2011
    Thanks for your input nullroar I take that comparison as
    A huge compliment.

In reference to controls I have a virtual joystick and fire button but I
    Also have tilt control and auto fire so people get the best of both
    Worlds with of course the tilt control being configurable for any play Position.

And weapons and enemy's is where I'm most happy with will release more details And screens as time goes on.

"Shameless plug" in the mean time guys check out Cave Shooter the original on the app Store. Its good considering it was my first game but as you will see the sequel is a world above it.

12. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Ah, what I meant was, from the title of the thread, I thought it was a sequel to a CAVE(tm) shooter.

That said, it really does look interesting, and I definitely wish you the best of luck.

13. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks I hope it turns out to be as good a I invisidge too

14. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    hi guys thought i would just tell you a little about who i am.

im happy to say im a one man team, i had never programmed anything in my life up to year ago.
    so 12 months a go i decided to start learning objective-c with programming iphone games in mind, spent 6 months hard learning from any objective-c book or resource i could get my hands on, boy it was tough having never learned a computer language.but i got through it.

6 months passed and now i can write basic stuff in objective-c so next i purchased my first book called begining iphone 3 dev and started to work on the iphone.

i got about half way through it after about 2 months and could see no direct relation to game development so i took a side turn and stumbled across a free game engine called cocos2d.

well i started writing a basic game and within days had something basic running on my iphone, great i thought so i produced a piggy bank app (pocket money saver) to learn the approval process and moved on to writing my first propper game.

i had decided early on i wanted to write a cool retro cave game, so off i went, it was a steep learning curve as i had to do sound and graphics myself as had no budget, well the day came to releaseing it and wahoo i finally had a game on itunes (Cave Shooter), well sales were slow but boy that did not put me off i was hooked.

so now off i went to write a better sequel , producing updates for Cave Shooter along the way, and this leads me up till today where im a short way off releasing my next game which i feel is 1000 times more polished game.

well thanks for listening hope wasnt too boring but i feel its good to give people background on the journey.

15. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    hi guys gonna post a new screen shot early next week so keep a look out.

16. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    3 new screen shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see first message for descriptions.thanks colyn

p.s please leave comments that you have.

17. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    guys also please note that the bullets you see from the enemy and from the space ship are just place holders till i design some new ones.thanks colyn

18. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    Any comments would be great as trying to make improvements thanks guys.colyn

19. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    hi guys sorry for no reply in a while been working really hard on Cave Shooter 2. Here on some new screen shots of the menu system for which i really proud off and a actual gameplay shot from the ice world. please leave some comments and let me know your apinions and thoughts.

[​IMG]
    This is the new logo , very basic but hope you guys like it.

[​IMG]
    This is the main menu screen, i especially like the blue prints of your ship in the background,what are your thoughts.The blue glass pane sides in and out with each new menu looks really neat.

[​IMG]
    This is the world select screen and is swipeable to slide across the different worlds you can select.

[​IMG]
    There are eight levels per world and goinf to release with 4 worlds so 32 levels,as you can see in the above shot that this game has a 3 star system,more info to follow in the coming weeks.This is the Ice Level Level Select menu.

[​IMG]
    This last shot is off a boss Battle for an Ice Level.Each of the 3 pertruding guns shoots at the player and can be destoyed individualy before destroying the main center part.

any way guys there you guys go, would really apretiate some honest feedback, as there is still time to change elements.

20. big-boys-gadget-toys

Jan 5, 2011
    Just on a side note I'm hoping to have a release date of about 6 weeks time in early October and hoping to have a video of gameplay soon.