Just a general word of praise for this community

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Feb 3, 2010.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hi,

I've only been in this community for a few months. But I really find it unbelievable compared to other boards (mostly console boards). There's very few video game forums where there isn't constant bashing of other users, etc. Friendly responses to questions come quick and without the kind of reaction that some other boards give to "newbies".

I also really, really like the fact that there's so much interaction with the developers. I realize that the iPod game development is mostly indie developers but to be able to interact and give suggestions, etc. is really great.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Just wanted to share my thoughts (and I'm bored at work right now).

2. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

You must be kidding me. Or maybe you are so new you didn't see most of the stuff in this forum.

Yeah this is true.

3. Mrpartyboyuknowit

Jan 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Very true. No harassment whatsoever!

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I appreciate the OP's sentiment, and agree with them. Aurora, you bring flaming on yourself with your often deliberately provocative posts. I can be guilty of it myself, but generally this is a very supportive forum.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #5 awp69, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Ok. Maybe I should rephrase my comment about the bashing. Yes, I've seen users being harrassed about a comment. But when you come here from a console community. It's nothing like you see on those forums. Particularly when it comes to PS3 / 360 arguments.

So yes, there is some of that here, but it's nothing compared to what I've seen. And a lot of that probably has to do with the iPod Touch not really being in direct competition. Yes, there's the PSP and DS. But how can they really be compared when we're buying $.99 games and they're shelling out $30-$40 for most games (yes, there's downloadable games, but even those are overpriced compared to what we pay). And the Android, well, I think that's going to fail. So anyway, the lack of "console wars" may have something to do with it.

And newbie questions, as far as I've seen, have been answered without criticisim. Oh, and there's not a console community that truly gives users an opportunity to talk to developers. That's a HUGE plus. Even forums on developer's sites are often left to the users and with no direct contact with developers.

6. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Yes, this is a very good forum, with some very thoughtful members.

Hi, Aurora. Hope you are well.

7. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

If "not liking what is popular and talking about it" is considered provocative then my signature now has proof. I have never once (maybe except the stupid RTK Touch arguments, which is just generally some idiot who hates anything Asian or created by Asians saying it sucks without any arguments whatsoever) attacked someone else's opinion or even cared what the hell they like, yet people seem to swarm around me like bees whenever I make any comments. But I'll stop here as I'v already said this many times and I'm pretty sure it's getting boring.

On topic, yes outside of those controversial arguments, if people ask help on anything people seem to answer extremely fast, and we are all grateful for it.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #8 Vovin, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Agreed, Scott! There are many nice people here. Oh, you'll find the ususal blockheads too for sure, but there's alot people here who behave in a polite and friendly manner and are always helpful. :)

@ Aurora: Strange, I never were attacked 'til now. Nobody seemed to have the need of flaming me. Nobody spammed or harassed me. I live by the words:
    "What goes around, comes around" - or better: "As the question, so the answer."

9. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Now Aurora, I know there is a nice person in there somewhere. Don't fight it. Embrace it. You can do it.:)

10. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Hmmm, I was flamed a bit and was even told I had no word in an argument once just because I was a junior member :rolleyes:

But other than that this forum is definitely awesome :D

11. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    ya. most people here are nice. they give advice and stuff
    then you have the people who always criticize or throw sarcastic remarks at others
    then you have the people who just post stupid, idiotic posts, they usually dont know what they are talking about.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes - but there are always exceptions. You'll learn that quickly.
    For example, if you like N.O.V.A.: put on your flame suit before entering the Eliminate thread... ;)

But it is true: it met a lot more friendly and polite people here than on any other gaming forum before. And you can never evade every dingbat. They're lurking everywhere... ;)

Just stick the people you like and ignore the others. Then you will have a very good time on TA.

13. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yeah, these boards are great. I think it's because on average (on AVERAGE) I'm betting iPhone/Touch users are a little more mature than Xbos/PS3/Other video games, etc users.

There's a little bit of elitism in the people who have like 20,000 posts, but they only really bring it up when some new whippersnapper comes on board like he owns the place.

And a couple bad apples who harass devs when they think that their dollar (or whatever they spent) entitles them to the greatest customer service/gaming experience, and absolute best value for dollar spent in all of human history (as in, find me one time where you can spend a dollar and get immediate feedback and oftentimes more content from a responsive and friendly dev. Go buy a hamburger at McDonald's and see how much the employees there care if you liked it).

And of course, best of all, it helps to sort through all the crap in the app store. I was lost when I first got my Touch, and now I am found.

14. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    Thanks, yeah it's a good forum and nice comments of people^
    :D

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Well, there are bashing, but just not a lot.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #16 Vovin, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010

As I said, I haven't encountered this yet.
    Matter of behaviour.

If you experience this, just don't listen and don't reply.
    This bothers, annoyes or irritates them more than an agressive or defensive reply.

17. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    I feel it's time for a.... group hug!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :p

Seriously, I think it boils down to the fact that quite a few active people here are a bit more mature, not necessarily in years, and don't bring so many unresolved personal issues to the table, that are often the reason behind the aggression displayed on other forums.

The reason for this difference has to boil down to the fact that we all spend considerable time playing on our idevices and we vent our frustrations and inadequacies as we touch and tilt through each day. The therapeutic effect of iphone gaming! :p

18. Stook

Stook Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Santa Clara, California
    I have to agree with the OP. I've been trolling other forums and decided to join this one because it has the best community by far!

19. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    To be honest this is one of the best websites for ipod touch news and the community is nice the other site i usedto go on before this ipodtouchfans the upcoming games on there are really old and nothing is really updated proper....

20. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks OP! Yeah, forums for gaming consoles are a lot worse than TA, but that doesn't mean there isn't any bashing. :p

Also, if you're trying to voice a negative opinion on Enviro-Bear . . . don't even try.