Facebook advertising experience

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cryptid, Aug 12, 2013.

1. cryptid

cryptid Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Code Monkey
    San Francisco, CA
    #1 cryptid, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    What is your experience with facebook advertising? Successful? No?

Over the weekend I launched a small campaign for my app/page and have received a bunch of "likes" (~100) but only 2 installs.

I'm curious, why like the page if you aren't going to get the app?

Does facebook have "like" farms to make you feel like your ads are being engaged?

Seems strange...thoughts?

2. flathead

flathead Active Member

May 16, 2013
  3. #3 beekiller, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    I think the normal Facebook advertising to a fan page has conservation rate lower than the Facebook mobile ads for app. You can change to the better channel and use variety channel like Blogger.com, Youtube, Twitter ...

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    There are lots of news reports about 'like farms' for sure. Not saying this has happened here but if you've paid a company x amount to advertise i've heard lots of stories of 'like' farms and fake App store reviews etc.

I'm not a huge Facebook fan but i tend to follow companies on twitter to hear about their new games or perhaps when a new updates out, beta screenshots of upcoming games etc.

Its like the boy who cried wolf, i'm sure there are genuine 'likes' and also genuine app store reviews (Tend to think any review over 2 sentences seems more legit than all the short 2 word 'reviews' like 'great app' you see over and over) but the problem is as there are sooooo many fake reviews i tend to ignore now practically all app store reviews due to this problem.

I mean look at the promo codes contests here for example, download our free game and write a review for the chance to win a $10 voucher, those reviews are all fake as the kids just want to try and win a voucher.

5. 8-Bit Avrin

8-Bit Avrin Member

May 10, 2012
    I actually made a post on my site not too long ago about my first Facebook ad campaign. You can check it out at the link below if you want. I posted the data, graphs and wrote a little about my experience. Overall, I thought it was neat. I didn't spend much money on it, but I did get my game advertised in front of a lot of people.

http://8bitavrin.com/2013/05/12/results-from-my-first-facebook-ad-campaign/

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    That was an awesome post. So you got about 60 clicks for $20 but I am sure the number is a bit higher as you mentioned a lot of people will exit and search the app store rather than click.

I have been trying to plan some low cost advertising (like youtube, facebook and so on). I am trying to work out how to spend say $100-500 in advertising to try and maximise the the number of downloads of the next app I make.

I am unsure what would be the best. I am thinking of picking 4 or 5 different and spending 50 on each. Maybe aimed at the android version and 3 at the iOS version. The app will be free so I am hoping I am give it the kick start in downloads.

7. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    I also launched a mobile install add on facebook, got around 60 klicks for 10$ which is pretty good I guess. My app was free during that time. I will try it again this week with a price of 0.99$ for the app and will share the results with you.

For those of you who want to try facebook adds. There are 50$ voucher codes on fiverr.com.

So basically pay 5$ for a 50$ facebook add voucher code.

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    why didn't you use one of those codes?

Did you find those 60 clicks resulted in a significantly larger downloads during that time. I assume the aim is to use those to drive you up the charts to get noticed which would result in more downloads.

9. Phil128

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    Unfortunately I couldn't see a change in downloads, because I went free for a week to boost my new update.

10. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    I have to constantly remind myself to split test as much as possible. You mean you couldn't see what the change was because your overall downloads went up as a result of going free as well?

11. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    My Opinion

I'm guessing they'll ban you from exploiting their system by using the 5$ ad vouchers over and over again, so I'd be careful from doing so.

I believe that Facebook ads for mobile games do really well if your game has a niche topic and you can isolate those users through facebook's targeting parameters.

For example, if you were making a skydiving game, I'd add skydiving as an interest to target or target 18-30 year old males, or lovers of extreme sports. The fact that the game touches a subject close to their heart will allow you to outperform the market in terms of ROI.

12. Phil128

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, but as I said. I will run a new campaign this week and share my results

13. Phil128

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    please delete

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    But the problem with that is you really want to drive all your downloads at the same time to push you up the charts to be noticed.

This thread has given me lots of interest and I plan to give it a go on my apps soon.

There are only 3 ways I can see to advertise cheaply for me, facebook, admob and youtube.

I mean my budget will probably be like $300 or something.

15. Phil128

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    So here are the results, unfortunately not as good as I hoped.

The campaign was launched for this game:
    https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/superherostickman/id577895299?mt=8

With 10€ I was able to generate 122 clicks, which is better than the last campaigne.

Just checked the downloads, got about 4-6 downloads. Can't really tell since I do have average downloads between 0-3 in the targeted country.

I used the the first Screenshot of the Appstore Page together with some text for the add.

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Why aren't you doing the ones purely for downloads?

17. Phil128

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    What do you mean? The add was linking directly to the appstore.

18. flathead

flathead Active Member

May 16, 2013
    There is a facebook section for mobile install ads. Were you using the normal facebook advertising to a link (AKA your app store URL) or were you using the mobile app ads section?

19. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes that is what i meant the mobile install ads. They seem to be the best idea.

the fact 122 clicked the link thus being interested and didn't follow with a download is interesting in itself. It makes you wonder why. Does your ad not represent the product? Is your product not as interesting when you reach the app store? Were they "misclicks"? Was it a language thing (the link in your sig takes me to the itunes in some funny language.)?

20. Phil128

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    wow thanks for pointing that out! It brings you to the german page, that could have been the problem.