What do you love and hate about development?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Charybdis, May 31, 2011.

1. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Title says it all.
    For me, I love it when I factorise and then suddenly I see all my dirty spaghetti keyboard bashing collapsing into a tiny gem of dazzlingly beautiful code.
    What I really hate is making GUIs.
    How about you?

2. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Sr. Applications Engineer.
    Middletown, CT
    For me I tend to have a love-hate relationship with development. I love to hate it.

I love designing eloquent code but I hate having to implement it. The first few weeks of implementing a new design is fun but it gets boring fast for me.

I love the result of solving a major business problem and/or bug but tend to get frustrated when I'm trying to solve it.

I love being the only developer on a project (depending on project size, that is). The feeling of satisfaction when it finally gets QA's stamp of approval is a pretty good feeling.

The one thing I hate about every project I've ever worked on is the last 10-20%. It's always the most tedious and boring code to write.

3. Stevehd

Stevehd Member

May 9, 2011
    I'm in this stage now... It's so dull :'(

4. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Yes, I agree with this. This is the period where all the good intentions of keeping the codebase clean go out the window.

5. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Actually it's more like the last 90%, and this is the part that separates the men from the boys. ;)

6. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Hate most: Finding, tracking down, and fixing bugs.

Love most: Seeing your ideas come to life in living color

7. asumsky

asumsky Member

May 31, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    samesies

I'm totally the same way, its so fun for me to just going through and making everything super efficient, tightly packed and organized. nothing quite gets to me like some good code :)

8. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    This.

Also searching for bugs feels like wasted time, that you could invest in new features, but it still has to be done.

What I actually like best in developing is to finally releasing something. (Not the actual stupid release process on the AppStore, but generally). Then reading reviews and feedback is a lot of fun. I don't know why, but everything I release gets (almost) only good reviews :D

9. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    love: sitting around brainstorming, making sketches, coming up with 1-page docs to describe gameplay mechanics while having a beer.

hate: "living on forums" and trying to drum up interest from the jaded oversaturated market of extreme ADD gamers which comprise the bulk of our audience

love: seeing my game get reviewed on websites where they critically pick apart a game I have made (for better or worse)

hate: seeing iTunes reviews from a gamer who looked at my game for all of 8-11 seconds before deciding it was not worth their time to explore any further, yet feels compelled to tell me I am a sucky dev

10. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    It might or might not surprise you to know that a lot of us customers feel just as or more pissed off by those reviews. I stick to a simple rule, if it is not a four or five star, don't review. If I really have a problem, go through support. I never look at appstore reviews anymore, partially because the are useless, and partially because I might explode at times. Becomes all the more worst when i see the devs on TA and all the hard work they put in.

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I think most people gauge reviews more on quantity than quality anyway. If something has pages and pages of reviews, then the mentality is "well everyone has this app, so it must be worth checking out" versus if there's <500 reviews or something, then the casual observer will think "well no one else bothered to check this game out, so must be not worth my while" <- the whole "crowd lined up in front of a club" mentality

12. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    itunes review have certainly is part for the customer.

what I don't like is the marketing process, very very frustrating and require a lot of extra times and motivation.

what I like is... making all the game

13. MoxyDave

MoxyDave Active Member

May 19, 2011
    Make awesome games for mobile devices
    Colorado
    Hear hear! Sigh.

14. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan