Golden Sun Remake

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by domino5343, Aug 22, 2010.

1. domino5343

domino5343 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Need....a.....jooobbb lol
    On a Boat!
    It would be awesome if they made a Golden Sun Remake for Appstore. Its possible and the company can make more money because I will buy it.

If anyone see this and dont know what Golden Sun is/was, it was the the greatest rpg series on GBA to me. Best Game next to mario stuff. Heres a trailer of the first one---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I616dJJcnBU

2. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    It'd be so awesome Nintendo would sue you into oblivion.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    it's been mentioned before, but unfortunately, lots of companies aren't seeing the potential in 100 million idevices...

not yet, anyway.

4. domino5343

Aug 22, 2010
    On a Boat!
    yea y would i be sued...they will make it not me lol.

5. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Idk if anyone has noticed but the idevice is competing with nintendos handhelds so no way nintendo would support their rival... Common sense people.

6. domino5343

Aug 22, 2010
    On a Boat!
    #6 domino5343, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

yeah i know that but common sense tells you that having the new Golden Sun game come out for DS in december and Golden Sun 1 for idevices will give them more money then just worrying about competition.Their a buisness, not a football team.

7. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Nintendo porting ANYTHING to a competing platform would immediately damage the trust of consumers that you need a Nintendo system to play a Nintendo game and have severe long-term impact. Furthermore Nintendo hates the pricing climate on iTunes where game prices are driven to rock bottom and a 5$ game is seen as very expensive, that situation is good for Apple but not for game companies who cannot afford to throw any larger budgets at iTunes games. For 100M devices the game sales are pretty bad, Nintendo can get 15M+ sales on their own systems (never mind that there are more than 100M DS units out there and ALL of them are used for gaming) at 40€ prices or more while a successful game on iTunes seems to boast about 3 million sales at 1$ each.

8. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well said. Plus, it'd be completely stupid for them to make games for anything other than their own systems, as to keep as much business on the Nintendo consoles as possible. If they started making games for the iPhone, it'd do nothing but draw more attention to the iPhone. And seeing as Apple gets a fraction of the sales, they'd be making money for Apple, which right now is probably their biggest rival.

So as unfortunate as it is, it's never going to happen. Luckily, there are plenty of third party developers who have been making RPG's for the iPhone, including a couple of high-quality and extremely fun games. It wouldn't be much more to go pick up a used copy of Golden Sun for the GBA anyway, and if you are jailbroken, there's always the possibility of emulation.

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I think he was assuming that the OP would want to be the one to port it. Should he do so, he'd be making money off of a game that's not his, and therefore could get sued by Nintendo.

10. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    No. Reason: Nintendo.

Oh, and Nintendo.

11. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    It's the money. Lots of companies won't see the "potential" until iDevice owners are willing to fork out multi-console competitive prices for their games. In other words, unless you can accept a price range of $29.99-39.99 for truly premiere titles, then you will never see truly premiere titles. 4.99 on average and 9.99 at the most just isn't going to cut it.

12. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    That, and the fact that 100 million devices does not equal 100 million gamers. However, 50 million Nintendo handhelds (note: not an actual statistic) generally does equal 50 million gamers.

Oh, and Nintendo.

13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Cost is reduced in the following ways:

-porting an already existing, complete game (everything is done-- it's just a matter of changing things over)
    -absolutely no cost for physical media or transportation (digital distribution)
    -little to no advertising for games which are already established

so yes, I do expect ported games on the iPhone to cost less. Maybe not $5, but at most $15 or 20. Charging the exact same price as DS/console games is ridiculous.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #14 squarezero, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    Golden Sun was published by Nintendo, so the idea of an iPhone port is a non-starter. But, as usual, the argument about how many units sell on the DS compared to the iPhone -- and the potential profit involved -- is way overstated.

Here's a list of the twenty best selling DS games of all time, compiled by a helpful soul for Wikipedia:

The top 10 performed impressively, but note that only 5 titles have ever sold over 15 million copies (which makes KDR's suggestion that Nintendo can "get" those numbers true, but also ridiculously unlikely). Also note that the numbers drop off quickly after the top ten, with the last entry (the DS remake of Yoshi's Island) no quite making it to 3 million. The fact is, the vast majority of DS titles have sold well under 1 million copies. As it happens, Golden Sun DS moved only 650,000 units world wide -- and that's with an installed base of 150 Million +, "all" of whom are gamers, meaning that less than 1/2 percent of them decided to pay money for it.

Granted, at $40 a pop (a number that's also questionable, but let's accept it for argument's sake), those 650,000 units sure produced a lot more revenue than 3 million iPhone games selling for $1. But once you add up production, marketing (in a crowded RPG market), and retailer costs, it's unlikely that a title like Golden Sun made much profit for Nintendo.

Now a publisher-who-is-not-Nintendo (PWINN for short) may look at those numbers and figure out that an iPhone port of one of their better known IPs may actually make financial sense, especially if:

1) Production costs are kept low
    2) Marketing is limited to online media
    3) The title faces little or no competition in the App Store

And in fact, PWINNs like Rockstar, Capcom, Taito, and Konami have made the same calculation and decided to port titles like GTA:CW, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, and Wire Way (among others).

Could a game like Golden Sun be ported to the iPhone? Sure: the App Store is sorely lacking on quality RPG titles and the success of Chaos Rings and Shining Force shows that there's a market for them -- especially if they're a known quantity. There is money to be made with the right title and strategy.

15. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I'm not even sure how a similar game to Golden Sun could be made. The main unique thing that the game basically revolved around was the djinn system, and if anyone tried making a 'clone' of the djinn, Nintendo might be on their backs in no time. But take the djinn out and you've only got...a standard run-of-the-milll JRPG, which isn't Golden Sun at all.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I guess I wasn't clear. The question should have been:

I wasn't suggesting that someone should clone Golden Sun, or create a generic version of it.

17. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

That won't be necessary (;

18. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Nintendo licensed game?

People should just drop the hope. They are never gonna release games on ios device.