Why can't promo codes be used ouside the USA?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ian1969uk, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Seems unfair to us other gamers :mad:

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Sigh. It's Apple's fault.

</thread>

3. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    :D Well said.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No one knows! Just be glad we have some kind of promo code system at all. Prior to Apple adding them, all developers could to if they wanted to send out free review copies of their games was to give out iTunes gift card codes.

You can pretty easily create an American iTunes account to redeem codes though, so there's always that option.

5. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Yep, i live in Beverly Hills (or at least that's what Apple thinks...) I use my UK account for everything aside from promo codes, though.

6. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    &#21152;&#25343;&#22823;
    There are international laws for purchases and stuff, which prevents Apple from allowing promotional codes to be used outside of the US store.
    People still do it anyhow. :D

It's probably the same reason why Canadians can't use iTunes cards to buy apps.

7. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

didn't know that. I've been reluctant to create a US account because it could mess things up on my ipod but i might try it in the future.

8. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    Move to the US! We have a President that has his own cologne!:D

9. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Rofl
    Nice one

10. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Cuz US is best. Nuff said.

11. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    i made a thread about this a few weeks ago

its very easy for people outside the US to use them

too lazy to find a link tho :eek:

12. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    you're not supposed to create an account for a country you're not in though... so these are only unofficial (illegal?) workarounds. Aside from saying "there are international laws" it would be nice to know the specific reason why they only work in the US. I mean, who does Apple have to ask permission from really?

13. I suspect it has something to do with tax collection and disbursement. That's the party line we Canadians get whenever we ask why they don't accept PayPal or gift cards for apps in Canada.

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    er......its a promo code there is no payment or tax issues !

and often the developer is not even in the us either - so its a bit bizarre that a uk developer cannot give a promo code for the uk store !

- suspect its to do the apples promo datebase and where it is to be honest

15. kingjames

kingjames Active Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Here it is..

16. Apple still has to have a paper trail to prove to the tax man which apps they made revenue on and which were downloaded for free via promo code. This isn't necessarily about taxation issues in other countries, but rather Apple's own records. (However, tax laws may also differ in other countries even with regard to what amount to gifts.)

17. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I suppose it's like how regular retail coupons or gift cards can expire.

Also, why iPod touch owners have to pay for firmware upgrades when they are "free" for the iPhone.

18. #18 Mindfield, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    That one you can blame on the Sarbanes-Oxley act (or, if you prefer, Enron, who were the impetus to draft and pass the SarbOx act in the first place.) The value of the update for the iPhone is built-into the cost of the recurring service contract for the iPhone. The Touch has no service contract, so the value must be covered with a one-time fee.