Any dual stick shooters with a twist?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

You know how the Anomaly series turned the tower defense concept on its head? Are there any dual stick shooters that something similar?

Like combine RPG elements or exploration or mix tower defense aspects with dual stick shooting? Or any other cool unique take on the dual stick genre?

2. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Take a look at Mushihimesama Bug Panic. It's dual-stick shooter plus exploration plus bullet-hell, and even the shooting mechanics are not traditional, since it's target-locking based.

I'd also recommend Inferno+ by Radiangames, it's dual-stick shooter with RPG elements and stage progression with lots of exploration, really cool. Talking about Radiangames, you may also want to check Fireball SE. It's not really a shooter but the mechanics are similar — instead of shooting you need to trigger bombs and dodge your enemies bullet-time style.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Bug Heroes!!! You described it perfectly, RPG elements, TD elements and Dual Stick Shooting. Plus, it's free, so grab it now!!

Then, if you like it, get Bug Heroes Quest.

4. Beat Hazard is a music visualizer and dual stick shooter.

It also supports airplay hdmi tv widescreen which rocks as picuted.

Attached Files:

5. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Definitely a must have .

6. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    #6 squashy, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    Can you import your own songs to play? Nevermind they clearly state you can. Might as well grab this.

As for my recommendation, Monster Shooter. The game has a pretty unique perk system that is reseted every playthrough, so each playthrough is different from the last. Gorgeous handdrawn graphics too.

7. Bronxsta

#7 Bronxsta, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    Thank you so much for this recommendation! This game is so much fun and exactly what I was looking for!

And to think I ignored it because it seemed like something meant for kids. Should have realized it was something more when I saw it was from Foursaken.

How is Bug Heroes Quest different?
    ---
    Also for any other suggestions, I prefer shooters where you control a character rather than a ship or shape.

8. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    You're welcome! Yeah, Bug Heroes is one of my all-time favorite iOS games.

Bug Heroes Quest is has different large levels to expore and complete, and is more like an RPG with a storyline, whereas Bug Heroes is endless.

They're both great games, IMO.

9. Yuppers, it'll automatically import your whole itunes dir. See the attached picture. And try it on tv widescreen and blasting stereo, it rocks!

Attached Files:

10. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Bug Heroes Quest

Big heroes is great, and so is bug heroes quest, but if your wondering about the gameplay...
    The story revolves around the three main characters (ant, spider, and beetle) and how they meet up and save the bug kingdom from the evil Scorpions.
    The game is set in large levels which you must explore to progress in your quest. Although the story revolves around the trio, there are special appearances of some of the other bugs, where you are able to play as them, but only for that specific level.

As for the RPG side- the trio (individually) level up by defeating enemies, and retain their level across levels. Upon levelling an upgrade screen is shown, like in the original Bug Heroes, where you can upgrade specific perks relative to each character (like stun chance for beetle, or critical chance for spider), plus some new ones. This can change the way you play, because you could play as one character and level him up to be superior to his acquaintances, but in some levels that character might not be available
    because they are kidnapped, or going on a small solo adventure

Special moves and abilities, like ant's portable turrets, are FOUND throughout the entire game via chests. These chests are sometimes just lying around, but the more advanced equipment can be obtained by
    going to extremely dangerous areas, or winning them in an arena
    . Even the characters main weapons must be found, so if you decide to pass an optional level you are potentially missing a valuable piece of equipment.

In combat, special moves must cool down before they can be activated again, but to change your special abilities you must first find a special tent- so if your going to pick some skills, make sure they suit your style. Your skills might be the only thing standing between you and death.

Even though I prefer the original Bug Heroes, Bug Heroes Quest is overall a fairly decent game that you should look into. Just keep in mind that it doesn't include as much tower defence as Bug Heroes does.

Hope this helped :)
    -Duivs

11. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    This. This is awesome even in the iPad at 2x. The best dual stick shooter ever IMO.

I didn't like beat hazard, doesn't seem to be as influenced by the music you play as I'd expected.

12. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I agree, I prefer Bug Heroes over BHQ. It has more replay value.

13. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Bullet Time. /Thread

14. The thread isn't over just because you say it is.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #15 tops2, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    Just started getting Bug Heroes. Fun stuff.

I remember when I first tried it was after playing and beating Mushihimesama Bug Panic and not liking Bug Heroes. Actually, for a long time after beating Bug Panic, I didn't find anymore dual stick shooters fun at all. Bug Panic almost ruined all dual stick shooters that I've tried afterwards...

But good thing I game Bug Heroes another try. Like all the variety in the different heroes.

Man..love these Forsaken games. Heroes and Castles also have a lot of variety in the heroes. Too bad I don't like FPS nor Minecraft..cause Block Fortress sounds like there's a lot of depth.

16. Bronxsta

So I tried Fireball SE lite and it's really fun but Inferno+ seems like it's more unique and has more content.
    What's the general consensus on which is better?
    ---
    Also are there any online demos for Inferno, would really like to try it before I purchase

17. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Me too, Foursaken Media is my favorite iOS developer.

I'd recommend buying Block Fortress (it's only a buck right now, I believe) and just trying it out, I've been playing for weeks now and I still feel like I haven't even reached the tip of the iceberg. There's a TON of depth to this game.

Hell, if you don't like it, think about it as just a buck you're giving to the devs just to support them, they're awesome guys.

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They're very different. It's a tough call but personally I like Fireball SE a little better. There a just few games that manage to reach that level of pulse pounding intensity on iOS. I think the consensus is probably that Inferno+ is better though. People like shooting. Check out Ballistic while you're at it, though it really doesn't have a twist of any kind.

19. Bronxsta

Thanks. I'll probably get Inferno, just because it's more structured with the levels and seems to have that RPG-lite feel I was looking for.

One more question: what does New Game Plus change? Besides keeping all your upgrades? I was reading a review that said the game is so much intense and challenging on New Game Plus mode.

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That's true. It's basically just harder and more frantic. I found the first play through a bit slow and was slightly disappointed until I hit new game plus, which was exactly what I was looking for.