How much hard drive....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CaptLudd, Jul 14, 2013.

1. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    How much hard drive space should i keep free to avoid games from crashing? I have games such as Xcom and duex ex (sp?) which seem to need room to operate. I have a ipad mini running ios6.latestupdate currently with 1.2 gig free, but i would like to get Spiral (730mb). I have not had Ny problems with crashes yet and want to keep it that way. I regularly turn off all other apps beefore playing a game and clear the cache regularly. Thanks in advance,,,,CaptLudd

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Really depends...

First off, there isn't any hard drives in iPads, but I guess you mean how much storage space you need to keep free. Some say none, due to iOS architecture, some say 2GB. My own experience is that it varies, but my iPad 2 seems happy when I have 1-2GB free.

However, you mentioned XCom, which I have heard does crash due to bugs. So freeing up storage space would not prevent a buggy game from crashing at all, in most instances...

3. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    Thank you for the info. The other half thinks i should just experiment and use space until a prolem results, but i dont want to corrupt any save files much less app files themselves. I presume that if i do i just delete and start over, correct?

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I may be wrong, but I do not think it is possible to corrupt the files on your iPad Mini, the way you are thinking of, from app crashing. At least I do not seem to have encountered such a scenario so far*, and I had been using iDevices since iPhone 3G. Usually when apps crash on my iDevice, I just go to multitasking to force quit it before soft booting. That usually gets my iDevice back to a workable state.

However, if the cause of the crash was a buggy app, then chances are that the next time you use that app, it will crash again, because that app itself was programmed badly.

If you are concerned about device stability, soft reboot your device once in a while and force quit apps you aren't using.

*Technical explanation: I guess iOS does not use storage space for swap unlike desktop OSes, which can get seriously messed up and corrupted when open files are not correctly updated during crashes. So unlikely to have an unstable iDevice after crash, unlike XP, where BSoDing too often can leave you with a seriously messed up OS...

5. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    Ok, obviously i am confusing computer problems with tablet problems, as well as not being as technically astute as i need to be. I already force off all apps not in use, so i am probably good to go. Thank you for the help