Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    True dat, I read it on a review but I forgot. I actually only found out about how Cave games are revered yesterday and my reasoning for getting Bug Panic first is that I already like Dual stick shooters, and after beating the first three worlds and stopping because my thumb got sore, I don't regret it since I liked it much, much more than the others I have.

2. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    +1, in a Universal App (HD).

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #63 smegly, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    BP2 and DDP:BD bring me the most joy.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Sorry to bump an older thread. With the new game from Cave, Dodonpachi Maximum, my list of favorite Cave games has finally shifted. The top 3 are:

1. Mushihimesama Bug Panic
    2. Deathsmiles
    3. Dodonpachi Maximum

The main reason I like DDPM more than the others is it feels simpler and the bullets feels slower. There's no switching shots for the 3 ships I tried so far. The slower bullets helps me to focus on just dodging bullets, giving me more time to focus on bullet patterns. The later stages of their other games get too fast for me to see the bullet patterns, so its more of a reflex test for me.

Anyways, for me, I'd recommend Dodonpachi Maximum for beginners as a good starting point.

5. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    1. Bug Princess 2 Black Label

I know there was a huge gripe here about the cost and the IAPs, but this really is the definitive version and well worth the money. The improvement to the core game scoring system and God Mode are worth it.

2. Dodonpachi Maximum

Simpler, but fun as ever. The ship variety makes up for the lack of harder difficulties on the earlier levels. It has surpassed Espgaluda II due to its smartphone design; as much as I love that one, I often have trouble hitting the right buttons when I'm focused on the core of the ship.

3. Espgaluda II

This one has the most complex but ultimately satisfying scoring system. That also makes it the most unforgiving. From a purely survival standpoint, it's the most difficult Cave game (for me). Playing for score turns it into a completely different experience. Has my favorite art style/story as well.

4. DDPR

Growing on me rapidly since I broke down and bought the HD version. Can't wait for the Cave Christmas sale to snag Espgaluda HD.

6. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Just wait for Ikaruga! Out on ANdroid now :)

7. OmKol

OmKol Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Moscow, Russia
    Dodonpachi Resurrection.

8. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    HD Espgaluda II on holiday sale? Sure, why not. It's bumped back up to number 2.

9. EuroNRG

EuroNRG Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Are ANY of Cave's games optimised for retina screens, or are just they pixelated ports (cheap to make)?

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Dodonpachi Maximum

11. Bug Princess 2 Black Label by far

12. EuroNRG

EuroNRG Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Oh, but I see it isn't really optimised for the 4inch iPhone 5 screen, they just 'framed' it, so not really using all of the screen. Typical lazy work from them.

I'll just keep avoiding Cave games...

13. EuroNRG

EuroNRG Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Oh Jesus! It is worse than I thought... on the iPad the frame is so thick you might actually be playing in an iPad mini, and it definitely is NOT retina ready on iPad Air :mad:

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  15. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Hey! m'Lord Connector
    Bug Princess 2 Black Label Edition suckz!
    Sinistar iz waaaaaaay better

16. Haha, my lordz! You rulez!

If you wantz non cavez, then get Dariusburst!

17. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Dont get me started Bro

18. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    I'm looking to grab one of the Cave Shump games for a plane ride on Friday, its between Bug Princess 2 Black Label, the two Dodonpachi games and Espgaluda. I'm leaning towards Bug Princess but don't really know enough the genre to know if one of those four is just clearly better than the others. Any suggestions?

19. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I like Dodonpachi Ressurection HD. They're all great though. You can't go wrong with any of them. :D

It's not Cave but Lightning Fighter 2 is pretty good and it's free.

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    If you're new to the genre...just go for the theme you like better and not worry about scoring.