Epic Pet Wars - I don't get it.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I realize I've totally missed the boat on Epic Pet Wars, but ngmoco's recent acquisition in the company has kind of piqued my interest in what all the fuss is about. Since the threads in the "ADD ME!!" forum are nothing but endless spam, I figured I'd just post a thread and maybe someone who knows something about how this game works can clue me in.

It seems like the game revolves around growing your posee, but is this just serve as some kind of in-game pyramid scheme or do these people you trade codes with actually have some kind of control over your game and access to your dudes?

There doesn't seem to be any kind of limit to the number of pets you can create, I've got four right now, is there any way I can make them fight together or does each pet act as its own character?

Anyway, I realize this is kind of a stupid thread, but I just feel like I'm totally missing out on something that a ton of people really enjoy. I'm not sure if it's their brief documentation or just the style of the game that is making the whole thing go over my head.

2. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #2 DaveMc99, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Never understood it myself. Didnt even try to get it either (downloaded EPW only coz.. you know why ;)).

Pretty sure whatever it is, IT definitely wont be fun (for me atleast)

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Here is a video review

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    lol... I dont get the game either. I just got the game to get the free power cells :p

6. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    i joined the fuss after eliminate...

it's like pokemon, but haven't found a way to REALLY battle each other (i mean, like a real multiplayer game, or like pokemon vs. via link cable), so you DO fight your posses but it's more a vs. CPU rather than battling your friend (it counts as passive win/lose for the other person).

training is a fast way to get XP and money, so you can get better gear and fight stronger pets. respect points act like money to get special items or add temp buffs.

all in all is just like pokemon with very basic goals, unless of course they add the plus+ achievements (Which i believe it shall be soon) so it will be a lot more fun!!

anyways, i'm addicted to it now... wish there were a real multiplayer vs. instead of a CPU controlling my pet when someone fights me (i lost 4/5 passively o_O)

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    its just another one of those Mobster-like games. No real point in it, you train, you battle, you buy items. If you, for some God-awful reason, feel the need to purchase the packs that give bonus respect points, you can exchange them for various buffs/items. its a rather boring turn-based setup. I guess a lot of people seemingly enjoy it..i for one, am definitely not one of them..lol

8. taah

taah Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Project Manager
    Bangkok, Thailand
    i just check it once every morning and evening, buying new stocks when available, fighting boss battles when necessary to progress.

the most fun i get out of it, however weird this may sound, is how ridiculously easy it is to get money in this game. that's the reason why i still spend a few minutes every day on it.
    quite nice to feel like you can buy anything you want anytime, and still only use up a few % of your total hourly Income.

9. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Add me to the list of people that have no idea why it's popular.

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I'm assuming its like Mafia Wars which I don't understand either.
    The funny thing is my mom plays it even though she complains all of the time about how bad of a game it is. She talks about "loot" and her clan or whatever its called. I'm like - Mom - get a life!
    She was addicted to SMB on the NES when it came out. I remember she stayed up all night playing it one time. Its amazing how that generation can get into Mafia Wars and the like. The thing that annoys me is when you look at the new released apps and there 10 in a row of iVampire 500 respect... I'm totally out of the loop. I guess thats a sign that I'm getting old?

11. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I really love the game but I have recently started to get a very VERY bad taste in my mouth with respect to the Battle Master offer links that they provide so you can get respect points.

It takes a lot of time to do those offers. Your email address gets spammed to all hell. And then 9 times out of 10 you don't get the points rewarded to you. When you contact customer service it seems it all depends on who has received your proof email as to how they deal with the issue. I have had a few of the offers which I know for a fact they don't send emails , be denied because I didn't provide a proof email. Can't provide what they don't send. I take screen caps of the final page and send it to them and they still want the non existent email to be provided.

If your goal is to download EPW and use the Battle Master section to save you some money on buying respect points, DON'T BOTHER. I have wasted a few hours doing the surveys to then watch as the points don't get added. Sorry for bitching and moaning, just pissed off over it.