Mac Mini and iTunes, 2 questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RetroGuy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. RetroGuy

RetroGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I have a PC and a Touch, with all my content on the PC (music, apps, movies). I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini to start some development.

1. Someone told me that if I connect the Touch to the Mac for development then all my content must come from there too, because iTunes only syncs content with one machine. Is that true?

2. Is the Mac Mini powerful enough for simulating 3D Touch apps? Any issues there?

TIA.

2. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

1) If you plan to sync the iPod Touch to the Mac mini then yes, you'll need to copy all your content onto there. iTunes is 100x better on a Mac and the Mac mini makes a great media hub, so that's not a bad idea anyway.

If you don't want to sync the iPod Touch to the Mac mini you don't have to. As long as you set iTunes on it not to sync to that iPod you can still use it for development, but do all the sync to it from your PC.

2) The Mac mini has plenty enough power for the iPhone simulator. If anything it's actually a bit too fast, which is one reason why you should always test your apps on an iPod/iPhone (preferably a 1g iPod Touch as it's the slowest).

3. RetroGuy

RetroGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks Zwilnik!

4. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    The simulator is going to be almost impossible to test 3D games because it does not have support for the accelerometer. You might have to sign up for the iPhone Dev program ($99) so you can test on your actual device....from there, it doesn't matter what kind of mac you're on, it will run on your iphone/ipod.

Good luck!

EDIT:
    You're going to have to join the developer program anyway if you ever want to publish anything to the AppStore so better to get it in the development stages rather than when you're about to release your app.

5. Paulindahouse

Paulindahouse Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009

????