Art Thief. A small dash of high stakes burglary for the iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by karlth, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    #1 karlth, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    Gameplay video Here.

Art Thief is a game about the legendary artwork thief John Robie.

Robie travels from one city to the next on his quest to steal all the major artwork in the world.

Each level is a museum dedicated to a single major artist. Robie enters after closing and has to find the artist's five major masterpieces before the museum opens again.

The problem is that not only is each museum crawling with security and alarms but he has to make sure he steals the correct paintings! John Robie won't get far if he walks out with a Monet when he needed a Matisse!

The menu screen
    [​IMG]

Level selection
    [​IMG]

Gameplay
    [​IMG]

Will feature 10 levels with 4 updates planned each with a new major artist.

Learn and Play!

2. Interesting. This is strikingly similar to a Sinclair Spectrum game I recall, but I don't remember the name of it. Same premise though; steal art, avoid security -- though in the Spectrum game the security team were robots.

3. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Hmmmm. You mean "Saboteur"?

It was a very good game but the inspiration is more those stealth scenes from "Return of the Pink Panther" and "Thomas Crown Affair".

Also I wanted to teach gamers, like me, something about art while playing. :)

I'm sure you'll be able to spot all the major masterpieces when you've finished the game.

4. No, not that one. This was primarily a platformer and had you running around a two-level museum nicking paintings and artifacts, going up and down stairs, and avoiding the robotic guards. If I recall correctly, you could hide behind pillars or something, though it was really more of an arcade experience than stealth-based.

Also, your thief on the title screen there looks like the love child of Geddy Lee and Bono. :D

Looks like your game could be interesting though.

5. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Now I'm very curious! Let me know if your remember either the name of the game or the publisher.

Was it perhaps "Into the Eagle's nest?" or "Blagger"?

6. No, neither of those; Into the Eagle's Nest was a top-down shooter, and Blagger was more in the spirit of Manic Miner or Miner 2049er. I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Also, I may or may not be utterly mistaken about what platform it's on. In thinking about it, I seem to recall it had better graphics than the Spectrum could manage.

7. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    #7 karlth, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    Added a gameplay video.

Here