What do you look for in RPG?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mrm83, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    #1 mrm83, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Have you guys played games like Zelda, final fantasy, or dungeon crawler games?

What do you LOVE about them and what drives you to finish the game?

Is it the story? the gameplay? the graphics?
    Share your ideas on what makes the BEST action/adventure RPG!

Does difficulty affect your love for the game? Would you play a hard rpg that say would require you to work on the quest MANY times before you progress because its so hard you keep failing?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Loot for me. Actually, it's gameplay for me. And among the choices, the loot is a huge part of the gameplay that i love in my favorite RPGs. A huge skill system is also one of my favorite features in RPGs, but this one i prefer more in the turn-based varieties.

3. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Totally agree game/combat systems make and break games. Id recreate this poll bc to me it's the most important thing.

4. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Story then graphics for me

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Other: Numbers going up.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... True. Awesome to see multi-digit lifebars and damage numbers popping up. Valkyrie Profile comes to mind. :D

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    I do not classify Zelda or Dungeon Crawlers as RPGs. RPG as a term in itself isn't terribly helpful because it covers a wide spectrum of games. It probably is more helpful to think of the term - and other terms for classifying games - as a position of adjustable sliders that one can move from one end of a range to another. Hence, Zelda's sliders are positioned more to the Action Adventure genre than RPG.

Some of the key features of RPGs are present in many other genres e.g. levelling up [character development], equipment [loot], etc. However, I'd argue that these features are incidental as opposed to fundamental. IMO character development is less about a bunch of numbers increasing, and more about your character's journey and personal development throughout the game.

One of the strongest features of RPGs - not exclusive to the genre - is the narrative, and how your character and all the other characters that you meet are woven into the tapestry.

What I do appreciate is that games are much more fluid than they were in their nascent period in the 80s. The seminal Half-Life in '98 is at heart a FPS - yet completely transformed the genre through the narrative and story development, and how the narrative was woven into the actual game.

8. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    #8 mrm83, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    So for loot..

What do you guys think is better of the following..

Random loot but mainly same items with different stats. For example, there are 5 weapon types, but each weapon type will have random different stats.
    (so every weapon fells fresh even though its the same item, it gives a sense of looking forward to the next drop with ultimate stats)

or

Random loot without different stats but the ability to upgrade them. For example, there are 5 weapon types, but you have the ability to buy enchant scrolls to improve it? (so it gives it a sense of ownership, you upgraded/crafted your weapon and is making it better by collecting scrolls)

Number..
    When you guys mention numbers.. so it is actually more appealing when the damage text is in the thousand range vs tens range? i.e... 9999 dmg, 1231 dmg, vs 1 dmg, 8 dmg..
    Why is that though? Isn't it more fun if your character has manageable HPs? I mean if your character hp is going into the thousands, doesn't it complicate things? or is that the cool factor?

9. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    So I would assume to you, the most important thing about RPG is development then right? Having a good story, a linkage between your character and its world. Making you feel a part of the surrounding while playing.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    World exploration; it's really satisfying when there is a giant varied overworld to interact with or cavernous dungeons filled with twists, turns, and secrets. Narrative is important but it's got to be steeped in atmosphere/envronment such that you can wonder around trying to compile the story and figure out where to go next in the quest (or take sidequests).

11. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Story for me, even if a game is the best with graphics, loot and all the others, without a good story it never actually keeps me going for too long.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not bothered by the graphics or the story behind it

For me its about lots of sub quests, a main quest and a non-linear world to explore

13. iamagame

iamagame Active Member

Nov 19, 2014
    upgrade systems which mean a character should get stronger, learn new skills then upgrade the skills, upgrade equipments etc.
    A character's ability and its growth are well balanced with enemies' abilities.

14. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Skills,spells,types of weapons,environments,physics.That's it.

You know what would be AMAZING to have on ios?It is possible and I would even say more than just possible.Port of the Dark Messiah of might and magic on ios.Now that would be HOT.

15. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Im a fan of jrpgs like FF4,5,6 etc so honestly all of the options are equal. Id say a good progression system that keeps that feeling of improvement going. Rewarding customization of the party members.

16. MarleySaege

MarleySaege Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The adventure of it all, investing and crisp environments are what make a good RPG. Oh and a great story

17. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Character building and the ability to really act out a role; if I'm a thief, let me steal shit. If I am a paladin, let me crumble undead with a word. If i build this powerful sorcerer over a long period of time that should be on the level of battling god like creatures, let me light a town on fire with one spell; that's why skyrim and other ES games were so great. But they lack to an extent my last thing; interactive, realistic and preferably (in some way) destructible environments. Expansive worlds a and freedom helps too.

18. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    haha i like that, thats true role play.

What about permadeath? do you guys like or dislike permadeath?

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Depends on the game.

If you're talking like Dragon Age or something, obviously not.

I like permadeath in more focused experiences, as that's where it works best (imagine having to restart all of Dark Souls when you died!)

It works in Binding of Isaac of course, and Wayward Souls, and Cardinal Quest, and countless others. I find that permadeath games (well, roguelikes) work best for a game that focuses primarily on gameplay and mechanics, and a fun to repeat progression loop, rather than games that focus on the more Role-Playing parts, like your Dragon Ages and your Skyrims

20. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    But i wonder if the general public would appreciate permadeath even in rouge like games. its an extra layer of challenge that I'm sure rouge fans will enjoy.. but an average player might not like it.. I'm trying to think of a way to balance this..